Apple cables are so high quality!

StingBull

4XoJxRv.jpg

For those wondering, this cable has been sitting in a drawer for months, it was not in use.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

TBH there is quite a bit of shielding over that wire. It is quite good quality (Not an Apple fanboy by any means)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

How the....

EDIT: Aren't they supposed to be like rubber, not plastic?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Mine are like that too. I stoped using my ipod since then.

the cable is like 3 or 4 years old

I have a 4 year old 3rd party cable too. It is still fine. And it was considerably cheaper of course.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

TBH there is quite a bit of shielding over that wire. It is quite good quality (Not an Apple fanboy by any means)

TBH that is some really shitty shielding there...cosidering that it just rips at the plug.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

TBH that is some really shitty shielding there...cosidering that it just rips at the plug.

that's not shielding, that's called strain relief.

I am a happy wuffy

I have never had that problem with Apple cables. Micro usb is what I call bad quality

that's not shielding, that's called strain relief.

Yeah shielding is supposed to be metal not plastic. I just called it that because the person I was replyin to called it that. Also that is still some shitty strain relief...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Yeah shielding is supposed to be metal not plastic. I just called it that because the person I was replyin to called it that. Also that is still some shitty strain relief...

Do you not see the metal braid inside the cable?

I am a happy wuffy

Do you not see the metal braid inside the cable?

It's plastic. Metal doesn't turn green unless its oxidised copper.

Spoiler

You're wrong. This is metal:

9268d1221222036-how-solder-illustrated-d

idk what kind of crap apple uses in their cables. It should not be green. Probably children's hairs...

Spoiler

You know apple doesn't actually manufacturer anything right? Some cables are supreme quality some suck, depends if you got a lucky batch.

Interested in Business and Technology

The shielding (green metal part) turns green because it has been wrapped in a PVC plastic jacket. So no worries there, although they should use PVC free plastic!

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

You know apple doesn't actually manufacturer anything right? Some cables are supreme quality some suck, depends if you got a lucky batch.

Nobody produces their own stuff. But if it has the Apple label, it is and Apple cable. I don't who Apple employed to make these but I have 3 of these things laying around and they are all like this.

Nobody produces their own stuff. But if it has the Apple label, it is and Apple cable. I don't who Apple employed to make these but I have 3 of these things laying around and they are all like this.

People who produce their own stuff ( mainly) :

-Samsung

-Intel

-AMD

-LG

-Many others

Interested in Business and Technology

People who produce their own stuff ( mainly) :

-Samsung

-Intel

-AMD

-LG

-Many others

If it has the Apple label, it is an Apple cable. Nobody produces their stuff entirely on their own. Why do you think Samsung has a deal with Foxconn if they make their stuff on their own.

And seriously, "many others" ...

You're wrong. This is metal:

9268d1221222036-how-solder-illustrated-d

idk what kind of crap apple uses in their cables. It should not be green. Probably children's hairs...

No, that's copper, which is just one type of metal. The braided cable in the picture is metal and it's not green. Some people need to get their eye's or monitor's fixed. Yes there is all kinds of crap on the cable, but that's from some outside source and 100% the fault of the owner. So is the breakage, owner mistreating the item, and not an actual issue with the product. The outer sleeve breaks like that from someone twisting the cable up too tight, or putting some other unreasonable strain on the cable. That flex point, where the sleeve transitions to the plug, is the weak point of every cable in existence.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

The outer sleeve breaks like that from someone twisting the cable up too tight, or putting some other unreasonable strain on the cable.

Just the heat from charging will cause those cables to yellow, become brittle, and crack like that. I never wound or transported my cables and they still ended up nasty looking after a couple years of careful use, though not nearly as bad as OP's which was probably exacerbated by twisting or mistreatment.

meanwhile I've had the same charger and micro usb-B cable from HTC for like 4 years (used daily) and it doesn't look worn at all.

Error: 410

Just the heat from charging will cause those cables to yellow, become brittle, and crack like that. I never wound or transported my cables and they still ended up nasty looking after a couple years of careful use, though not nearly as bad as OP's which was probably exacerbated by twisting or mistreatment.

I've owned exactly 3 iPhone charging cables, two official, one aftermarket, in 5 years of owning Apple phones, and I still have and use the two official cables. The only one that fell apart was the aftermarket charging only cable that I purchased in 2009. I kept the main charging/sync cable that came with my 3G plugged into my computer, and I've gone through two different computers in that time, all the time and the aftermarket charging cable was used to charge my phone on my bedside table or when I was out of the house.

That aftermarket cable did fall apart, but it was due to my use of the cable. It went through some rough times as it got transported around a lot in bags and I used it in my truck when I used to drive OTR for a living. I kept using that cable even after I got my 4S two years ago and only stopped using it because I felt like it. The official cable from my 3G is now my main charging cable and the cable from my 4S is plugged into my computer. But 5 years later and that official cable from my 3G is perfect, even with my cats having chewed on it a bit.

Newer 4S and old, original, 3G cables side by side. You can tell which is which because the 4S plug is smaller. Again, 3G cable perfect after 5 years of use. Cables falling apart, at least official ones, are due to owner abuse/misuse. Hell, I wasn't even the original owner of the cable from the 3G as I bought my 3G second hand from a friend who was upgrading to the 3GS at the time.

5qk2ih5.jpg

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194