AIO or AIR - Final component to my build

Go to solution Solved by LukaP,

get a H110 or a H100i :)

Need to get a cpu cooler ordered ASAP so that I can start putting my build together. Build is listed below.

First decision is Air or AIO?

I know the basic advantages and disadvantages of both, my main gripe is noise levels and appearance. I am not a major over clocker so to me its not all about performance (will overclock in the future), however with my case and its side window, aesthetics are a factor and IMO AIO are sexyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ;) and AIR coolers tend to be big bulky and ugly. I also dislike how AIR coolers can get in the way of other components and generally hide most of the motherboard.

So really I guess what I am saying is can you recommend any good performing air coolers that are quiet, won't take up too much room, look good and have a good performance.

If not air then what options for AIO can I go? Would definitely prefer 240mm rad so I can mount in the top of the case. Looking for something sexy, quiet and good performance.

Maximum budget is no more than £100 but the cheaper the better. (Need a mechanical keyboard).

-------------------------------------------

Here is my build for reference. 

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (Purchased For £167.99) 

PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply (Purchased For £80.90)

Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII RANGER ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (Purchased For £129.99) 

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  (Purchased For £68.06) 

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For £164.14) 

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II Video Card  (Purchased For £353.99) 

Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For £91.99) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro Retail (Purchased for £39.99)

Mouse: Logitech G700s Gaming Mouse (Purchased For £57.20)

Total: £1114.26
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Do you want to hit some cra cra OC? then kraken x61 if it fits which is something that i want to know for my 450D or a 212x/212 evo if you want light cheap overclocking 

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

get a H110 or a H100i :)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

TLDR

H100i, I love mine, just replace the stock fans with something as they are basically vibrating wheels. I chose for some corsair sp120 quiets and run them in quiet mode, keeps my stock 4770k at 40ish degrees even when gaming

Obviously you can get better fans, I just wanted the aesthetics

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Quiet and AIO liquid coolers don't really go together. 

I'd suggest taking a look at the NH-u12s. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

i think this is the closest i can get with air cooler

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/be-quiet-cpu-cooler-bk010

- looks good? yep

- bulky? No. slim and doesnt hide components.

- performance is good, and its quiet

- very cheap

31175922327l.jpgbk010_w_h_2.jpg

If you want AIO, i would say kraken x41

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/nzxt-cpu-cooler-rlkrx4101

The 450D apparently supports a 280mm in the front.

Before when I was going to go the AIO route, I was going to run an NZXT X61 from the front intake, like Linus did with a H110 in the 4K build.

It's a variable speed pump with software link, so it's like a 280mm version of the H100i.

If you run a rad as intake, you'll get the best possible cooling performance as it's taking in cold air from the outside, not slightly warm air from the case.

*snip*

Noctua U14S.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Went for the Corsai h100i. Decided it was for the best, great looks,good performance and won't limit access to my motherboard. I will play around with Corsair Link and see how I find the noise and if its a problem i'll replace with quieter fans at a later date and sacrifice a little performance.

Many Thanks for the help everyone.

Went for the Corsai h100i. Decided it was for the best, great looks,good performance and won't limit access to my motherboard. I will play around with Corsair Link and see how I find the noise and if its a problem i'll replace with quieter fans at a later date and sacrifice a little performance.

Many Thanks for the help everyone.

You'll notice that the noise comes not from the fans, but from the pump.  h100i is a good cooler though, and if noise isn't a huge concern, you'll be very satisfied with it's performance.

I have the h100i and it's "the bomb diggity" as we say on my planet

STEAM NAME: JewishBacon GPU  Sapphire dual x R9 280x OC edition CPU core i7 4770k stock speed COOLER H100i  CASE Fractal R4 Window Black  MOBO MSI gd-65 gaming Storage 1TB WD Blue drive, 1TB Samsung 7200 rpm, 120 GB OCZ SSD, 64 GB WD Blue ssd  RAM 12 GB @ 1600 Ghz kingston RAM  MiscNZXT HUE, disk read/write, 2x 21 inch 1920x1080 monitors   

• 2 weeks later...

TLDR

H100i, I love mine, just replace the stock fans with something as they are basically vibrating wheels. I chose for some corsair sp120 quiets and run them in quiet mode, keeps my stock 4770k at 40ish degrees even when gaming

Obviously you can get better fans, I just wanted the aesthetics

what rpm do you run them at?

what rpm do you run them at?

I just have the default quite mode preset on, they generally run at around 800-100, and max at 1250

Right now its 26 degrees in my room, the computer has been on half an hour with some youtube etc, and temps are at around 28-30 degrees across all components

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I just have the default quite mode preset on, they generally run at around 800-100, and max at 1250

Right now its 26 degrees in my room, the computer has been on half an hour with some youtube etc, and temps are at around 28-30 degrees across all components

oohh the quiet mode on corsair link, got it. and do you know what the difference is between the high performance and quite sp's?

oohh the quiet mode on corsair link, got it. and do you know what the difference is between the high performance and quite sp's?

High performance fans are designed to spin faster and are much louader

SPs are designed to spin lower and quieter, they provide less cooling performance

they are not the best fans but i love the looks, they are quiet enough for me, and they do a good enough job at cooling considering their cost

High performance fans are designed to spin faster and are much louader

SPs are designed to spin lower and quieter, they provide less cooling performance

they are not the best fans but i love the looks, they are quiet enough for me, and they do a good enough job at cooling considering their cost

so if both fans were spinning at the same speed there wouldn't be any difference in the noise and cooling? 

so if both fans were spinning at the same speed there wouldn't be any difference in the noise and cooling? 

I do not think the performance edition can be run at low RPMs and generally they will be loud regardless

the fans that come free with the h100i are pretty terrible and I pretty much just chucked mine in a drawer for spares or emergencies 

I do not think the performance edition can be run at low RPMs and generally they will be loud regardless

the fans that come free with the h100i are pretty terrible and I pretty much just chucked mine in a drawer for spares or emergencies 

I see, thanks a bunch!