Weird water/air cooling setup opinions

I am planning on getting 2 290's and was thinking that between the noise of reference cards (i already have 1) and the fact that after market coolers arn't very good in crossfire/ sli setups, i could get an h220 and water cool the top 290, and get a tri-x for the bottom 290 so that airflow won't be an issue for the top card. Are there any major issues anyone see's with this? I should mention that I do NOT want to buy a full custom loop (that i would need for 2-290s and a cpu). Thanks.

yeah, you can do this, I don't know how will the H220 will perform with a CPU and a hot GPU at the same time.

Why instead of spending around $250 on this setup, you get a NZXT G10 and a AiO, it'd be roughly $100 and it will solve the heat and noise problem.

Why don't you just get two Kraken G10's?

yeah, you can do this, I don't know how will the H220 will perform with a CPU and a hot GPU at the same time.

Why instead of spending around $250 on this setup, you get a NZXT G10 and a AiO, it'd be roughly $100 and it will solve the heat and noise problem.

If you dig into kraken g10's further, you will find that the vrm temps are through the roof (hence why i don't want then for long term use)

If you dig into kraken g10's further, you will find that the vrm temps are through the roof (hence why i don't want then for long term use)

not that high really, the fan keeps them well enough, and if you are that concerned add a cheap pair of heatsinks and be done. VRM temperatures are normally higher than the GPU, but people complain on forums about them, and this belief that says the G10 and similar solutions are bad become widespread. If you don't believe me, check good reviewers making articles and testings of the G10, no cooling or stability problems.

I am planning on getting 2 290's and was thinking that between the noise of reference cards (i already have 1) and the fact that after market coolers arn't very good in crossfire/ sli setups, i could get an h220 and water cool the top 290, and get a tri-x for the bottom 290 so that airflow won't be an issue for the top card. Are there any major issues anyone see's with this? I should mention that I do NOT want to buy a full custom loop (that i would need for 2-290s and a cpu). Thanks.

liquid cooling one GPU and not the other will deffo make your system swallow

its tongue. as each GPU will output according to temperature and the liquid

cooled one will run a lot cooler and not "throttle" according to preprogrammed

redline as the other might get too warm. really not a good idea.

You can add heatsinks to the VRMs very easily which will help a lot with VRM temps.

Just picked up a G10 yesterday for my 7950 and my card happens to already have substantial VRM heatsink setup (back plate plus cooling fins - Gigabyte windforce) so will see how that works out. With the reference cards, there isn't much for VRM cooling after you remove the hairdryer cooler, but like I said, you can get little cooling fin heatsink blocks and stick them on. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS