Seagate Barracuda vs WD Black

Smithy2402

Hi there,

I am looking for a mechanical drive to go along with my Samsung 840 Evo SSD. I am considering either the Seagate Barracuda or the Western Digital Black Series. Due to the price point, I can either get a 2TB Barracuda or a 1TB Black. Performance wise, is it worth getting 1TB less storage than an extra 1TB but less performance? Anyway, is there much of a performance advantage with the Black over the Barracuda?

Love to hear what you have to say. 

Hi there,

I am looking for a mechanical drive to go along with my Samsung 840 Evo SSD. I am considering either the Seagate Barracuda or the Western Digital Black Series. Due to the price point, I can either get a 2TB Barracuda or a 1TB Black. Performance wise, is it worth getting 1TB less storage than an extra 1TB but less performance? Anyway, is there much of a performance advantage with the Black over the Barracuda?

Love to hear what you have to say. 

I'm kind of a storage fiend, so I'd go with the Seagate.  Or you could go with a Seagate SSHD.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

2tb Seagate for sure.  IMO the black is better but by a tiny margin.

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Seagate. It's quieter and performs great for a 7200rpm drive.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

i would go with the black, since you wont use more than 1TB anyway and if you have some games on there too, it will be a bit faster

i would go with the black, since you wont use more than 1TB anyway and if you have some games on there too, it will be a bit faster

You can't really say that, I'm currently using 8 TB

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

You can't really say that, I'm currently using 8 TB

are saving your unrendered recordings there?

are saving your unrendered recordings there?

Not really, they're all rendered.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

I would be doing a fair bit a video editing as well as having lots of games, so I think 1TB may be a bit too small. 

Not really, they're all rendered.

delete them lol

delete them lol

But what if I want to watch them?

But what if I want to watch them?

why do you want to watch your gameplays which you have probably already uploaded to youtube

why do you want to watch your gameplays which you have probably already uploaded to youtube

Who said it was gameplay?

You would have to compare the barracudas to green/blue...

the blacks are aimed at pro-sumers. They got a higher fail tolerance and stuff. In terms of price/performance Seagate Barracudas (now Seagate Desktop, there are no Barracudas any more) have got a slight advantage. When choosing a new HDD i recommend getting the one that's in sale. else it's the one you feel best with. The differences are marginal to non existent

My builds:

'Baldur' - Data Server - Build Log

'Hlin' - UTM Gateway Server - Build Log

You would have to compare the barracudas to green/blue...

the blacks are aimed at pro-sumers. They got a higher fail tolerance and stuff. In terms of price/performance Seagate Barracudas (now Seagate Desktop, there are no Barracudas any more) have got a slight advantage. When choosing a new HDD i recommend getting the one that's in sale. else it's the one you feel best with. The differences are marginal to non existent

WHAT ABOUT WD Velociraptor

I'd get the Seagate to be honest.

I think it mostly comes down to, do you need 2TB of storage but a little less performance or 1TB of storage with a little more performance? I would imagine most of the time there would be no noticable difference between the two.

I'd get the Seagate to be honest.

I think it mostly comes down to, do you need 2TB of storage but a little less performance or 1TB of storage with a little more performance? I would imagine most of the time there would be no noticable difference between the two.

jup but WD is better

What is this... @Wiff how do get from @pixels8's pretty good comparison to 'WD is better'. WD is faster, not better... We are talking about 3-5 MB/s. When running drive optimized benchmarking. In real world scenarios it's 1-2 MB at max if you are lucky. In 99,999% it will be unnoticable for users. The only advantage I see is a higher warranty and a stronger mechanical build, which comes at the cost of a large price increase. 190€ instead of 130€... Faster, stronger, better performance, yep, but just compare the prices. When looking at comparable prices you get at least 2 TB for the difference.

My builds:

Oh and instead of buying a raptor i would get myself an SSD

My builds:

Oh and instead of buying a raptor i would get myself an SSD

true that, the veloci raptor was good when there were no ssds, now its way too overpriced

Did velociraptor good? I read somewhere (which I don't remember) that velociraptor is just good for reading but not writing. Anyone, any thought on this?

Btw, wd black v seagate barracuda, in term of performance,reliability and longer warranty, I will go with black.I aggreed with Ahnzh on this. Thank you for the sharing dude.