intake vs exhaust

a couple of times I've seen now which use exhaust on a rad (instead of push), the latter saying that it is irrelevant and being linus himself...

is it true? And is it true for all rads, thin or thick (30-70mm)...

what I'm looking at myself is 240 and 280 rads (30mm) with noctua nf-f12 and nf-a14 respectively...

You mean push vs pull right?

It has the same performance give or take some 0.x degrees C

However,when you go to thick rads(>50mm) push/pull can really benefit from it.

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

Exhaust and push are two completely different things. You can have an exhaust fan that is pushing air through the radiator. 

If you mean push vs pull, then it will depend on the fan. If you have SP fans, they're better for pushing air through the radiator, whereas AF fans will do better than SP ones when pulling air. 

For Intake vs exhaust, it doesn't matter too much. Although it is generally considered better to have positive air pressure in your case to keep dust to a minimum. 

The difference isn't much at all. You'd probably be a tiny bit better of using push static pressure on thick radiators and air flow fans in pull on thinner radiators (that have a medium or low FPI).

I of course am not listening to my own advise because of the looks.. ;D.

a couple of times I've seen now which use exhaust on a rad (instead of push), the latter saying that it is irrelevant and being linus himself...

is it true? And is it true for all rads, thin or thick (30-70mm)...

what I'm looking at myself is 240 and 280 rads (30mm) with noctua nf-f12 and nf-a14 respectively...

Exhaust can be done with both push or pull. Having rads as intakes will give 1-2 degrees Celsius lower temps, more depending on your ambient temps. The thickness of the rads will not make anymore of a difference when it comes to intake or exhaust.

The general rule I like to follow is: all rads intake with one or two exhaust fans if the CPU and GPU's are liquid cooled or the standard front and bottom intake rads, top exhaust rads if it's a CPU only or GPU only loop. 

Alphacool ST30's with those fans will give amazing heat dissipation.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Exhaust and push are two completely different things. You can have an exhaust fan that is pushing air through the radiator. 

If you mean push vs pull, then it will depend on the fan. If you have SP fans, they're better for pushing air through the radiator, whereas AF fans will do better than SP ones when pulling air. 

For Intake vs exhaust, it doesn't matter too much. Although it is generally considered better to have positive air pressure in your case to keep dust to a minimum. 

yeah I basicaly mean when the fan in pulling air from the radiator, rather than pushing it through it (when the fan is on the other side of the rad).

So the difference is minimal then? I dont realy know a lot about radiators and how does the heat exchange work... with the cpu air coolers I am guessing that the idea is to force air on to the sink to give it a chill and cooling... does it mean that all you need for radiators is to move the generating hot air away and replace it with ambient air and so on (rather than cool the very metal)?

wonder what temps will I have on an air cooler with only pull...

yeah I basicaly mean when the fan in pulling air from the radiator, rather than pushing it through it (when the fan is on the other side of the rad).

So the difference is minimal then? I dont realy know a lot about radiators and how does the heat exchange work... with the cpu air coolers I am guessing that the idea is to force air on to the sink to give it a chill and cooling... does it mean that all you need for radiators is to move the generating hot air away and replace it with ambient air and so on (rather than cool the very metal)?

Radiators and tower coolers use the same cooling method, just radiators have a larger surface area, so they work better. It's technically not cooling, it's moving the heat away from the CPU. 

For thin to medium radiators, the difference is minimal, but with very thick rads, you might want to stick with SP fans in push, or have a push pull set up. 

Radiators and tower coolers use the same cooling method, just radiators have a larger surface area, so they work better. It's technically not cooling, it's moving the heat away from the CPU. 

For thin to medium radiators, the difference is minimal, but with very thick rads, you might want to stick with SP fans in push, or have a push pull set up. 

ok, thanks.. noted!

I think its becoming irrelevant, I am begining to have this curiousity iching again... whenever I get a loop set up, Im gonna tinker both ways to see it for myself... will be a pain though, draining the loop... better to do something physicaly than sit around on my ass at the pc all the time!

ty again

ok, thanks.. noted!

I think its becoming irrelevant, I am begining to have this curiousity iching again... whenever I get a loop set up, Im gonna tinker both ways to see it for myself... will be a pain though, draining the loop... better to do something physicaly than sit around on my ass at the pc all the time!

ty again

not really a pain to do. if just changing position of fans, you wouldn't have to drain

the system, unless hardline plumbed. drop rad install/remove fan, reinstall rad.

not really a pain to do. if just changing position of fans, you wouldn't have to drain

the system, unless hardline plumbed. drop rad install/remove fan, reinstall rad.

yeah technicaly... Im just tired from work, cant think straight...