Home server in a fish tank half-filled with mineral oil and half filled with fish. Any input?

So a while ago I started a project to build a home server for my family as a place to store music and movies as well as monitor my families computers and store backups. I decided on some pretty weak hardware, since it wasn't going to be used for much, and focused on looks and heat dispersion. I ended up going with a very old 3.4 GHZ Pentium D 945 dual core intel chip on the LGA 775 platform as well as a 430W psu, an evga GT 520 for the occasional video output, and a vantec 6 port sata II raid controller which is going to run 3 1TB western digital red drives in raid 5. now. while home servers aren't impressive, and this one isn't impressive in any way shape or form, I thought that i'd make it look interesting by equipping it with a thermaltake spinQ heatsink, and submerging in fishtank filled on one half with mineral oil, and on the other half with actual fish (I'm adding two panes of plexi-glass with a an air barrier in between for heat. I'm not an idiot). I'm making it look flashy and awesome because I have to put it in a place where everyone will be able to see it, and I wanted it to be pleasing to look at. if the temperatures prove too high, then I probably won't keep fish in the water part of the tank. I would also like to point out that the oil will be cooled by being pumped to the top of the fishtank (it's only half filled) and then pouring down the glass on all sides to cool against the glass. I'm going to try to get as thin a layer as possible to get maximum cooling. anyways, I was wondering of anyone had any ideas they wouldn't mind sharing, or any input as to hardware to use or tips for oil cooling. thanks a bunch, and I'll post pictures here and to a different thread when it's done! (if it's possible, haha)

specs so far:

motherboard: MSI core 2 Quad MATX G41M-P34

Storage: 3X WD red 1TB NAS in RAID 5

processor: Intel Pentium D 945 3.4 GHZ

RAM: crucial 2X4GB DDR3 1333 MHZ umbuffered memory

RAID card: Vantec 6-port (only four usable at a time) SATA II controller

GPU: EVGA Geforce GT 520 (just for 1080P video playback capabilities)

CPU heatsink: Thermaltake SpinQ with Blue LED centrifugal fan

PSU: Corsair Builder series CX 430W psu

coolant: a lot of mineral oil. actually, not that much compared to most oil cooled PCs, but it looks like a lot.

There seems to be some confusion about the two separated halves. imagine a piece of plexi glass cutting a fish tank in half vertically. one half has mineral oil on it, and the other half has fishies on it. that's what I'm going for. Also, thanks for the positivity  :D

Ryzen 7 3700X

Aorus GTX 1080ti

G.Skill TridentZ 3200MHz 2x8GB

Corsair SFX 750W

Phanteks Evolve Shift Air (glass front)

2x Corsair Force GS 120GB SSD (RAID 0)

That would be epic o: you better have seahorses though

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I demand a build log of this if you do it. Also, some rigid tubing for moving the oil to the top would look awesome. Just don't ask me how to do it.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Ew. The SpinQ heatsink, not only does it looks like a Bond Villain's weapon, it also sounds like the name for a washing machine.

I demand a build log, nonetheless.

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

So a while ago I started a project to build a home server for my family as a place to store music and movies as well as monitor my families computers and store backups. I decided on some pretty weak hardware, since it wasn't going to be used for much, and focused on looks and heat dispersion. I ended up going with a very old 3.4 GHZ Pentium D 945 dual core intel chip on the LGA 775 platform as well as a 430W psu, an evga GT 520 for the occasional video output, and a vantec 6 port sata II raid controller which is going to run 3 1TB western digital red drives in raid 5. now. while home servers aren't impressive, and this one isn't impressive in any way shape or form, I thought that i'd make it look interesting by equipping it with a thermaltake spinQ heatsink, and submerging in fishtank filled on one half with mineral oil, and on the other half with actual fish (I'm adding two panes of plexi-glass with a an air barrier in between for heat. I'm not an idiot). I'm making it look flashy and awesome because I have to put it in a place where everyone will be able to see it, and I wanted it to be pleasing to look at. if the temperatures prove too high, then I probably won't keep fish in the water part of the tank. I would also like to point out that the oil will be cooled by being pumped to the top of the fishtank (it's only half filled) and then pouring down the glass on all sides to cool against the glass. I'm going to try to get as thin a layer as possible to get maximum cooling. anyways, I was wondering of anyone had any ideas they wouldn't mind sharing, or any input as to hardware to use or tips for oil cooling. thanks a bunch, and I'll post pictures here and to a different thread when it's done! (if it's possible, haha)

specs so far:

motherboard: MSI core 2 Quad MATX G41M-P34

Storage: 3X WD red 1TB NAS in RAID 5

processor: Intel Pentium D 945 3.4 GHZ

RAM: crucial 2X4GB DDR3 1333 MHZ umbuffered memory

RAID card: Vantec 6-port (only four usable at a time) SATA II controller

GPU: EVGA Geforce GT 520 (just for 1080P video playback capabilities)

CPU heatsink: Thermaltake SpinQ with Blue LED centrifugal fan

PSU: Corsair Builder series CX 430W psu

coolant: a lot of mineral oil. actually, not that much compared to most oil cooled PCs, but it looks like a lot.

SHOW ME PICTURE NOW!!!!

Its all looks these days

Not sure if Mineral Oil is toxic to fish or not...

@nightmarevoid You can probably get better hardware off of Ebay if you look around. I got some pretty epic hardware for $265 (two 4 core Xeons, 32GB of ECC RAM, & a motherboard for it all). 

Just saying. As long as the sellers are trusted and ebay's buyer protection is on it, you should be fine.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I think he's doing a dual-chamber design, one with Mineral Oil and one with Fish water.

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

I'd just be worried the fish would get sucked into a fan and get well you get my point D;

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

dude pet seahorses would be so cool

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

The problem is that the second half of the fishtank is less than 20 Gal, so saltwater would be a nightmare to maintain. do you know of any freshwater sea horses?

Ryzen 7 3700X

Aorus GTX 1080ti

Corsair SFX 750W

I think he's doing a dual-chamber design, one with Mineral Oil and one with Fish water.

I thought he was going to have the Mineral Oil & water in the same chamber. Oil & water don't mix (obviously), and I'm pretty sure Mineral Oil is more dense than water, so it'd be stuck on the bottom (where the PC components would be and the fish wouldn't go due to ... well ... dying and all that). Then a pump could pump the oil to the top and it'd be like a slow motion waterfall in the chamber. Like a lava lamp, but different. 

Not sure though. Heat + Convection could really mess that whole plan up. 

It's a wee bit insane though.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I thought he was going to have the Mineral Oil & water in the same chamber. Oil & water don't mix (obviously), and I'm pretty sure Mineral Oil is more dense than water, so it'd be stuck on the bottom (where the PC components would be and the fish wouldn't go due to ... well ... dying and all that). Then a pump could pump the oil to the top and it'd be like a slow motion waterfall in the chamber. Like a lava lamp, but different. 

Yep. I don't think I would every try to be that inventive with a build of mine. I'll stick it into a bog-standard case and that's me done.

That was my first thought. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

eh are you sure thats a good raid card... i would personaly get a second hand one from ebay for like 20-40 dollars and then just get an lsi one 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

eh are you sure thats a good raid card... i would personaly get a second hand one from ebay for like 20-40 dollars and then just get an lsi one 

It probably isn't, but I put all of the components together outside of the system on a test bench and everything worked just fine, except for a DOA drive which I replaced. the reviews said the card takes a while to rebuild a drive, but are there cards that don't? plus it works  just fine for my needs, especially since I need it to use a PCI slot, not PCI express.

Ryzen 7 3700X

Aorus GTX 1080ti

Corsair SFX 750W

I seriously thought about that When I first got the idea, but it seemed impossible, and considering I've had fish who starved themselves to death by staring at their own reflections, I would be placing far too much trust in the fish not to swim down into the oil.

Ryzen 7 3700X

Aorus GTX 1080ti

Corsair SFX 750W

dude pet seahorses would be so cool

yesh

The problem is that the second half of the fishtank is less than 20 Gal, so saltwater would be a nightmare to maintain. do you know of any freshwater sea horses?

yes

white-horse-in-water-image.jpg

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015