AVAST Also Found Some Nude Pics!

t0m4s

link to the news:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/07/09/boffins_slapped_by_one_thousand_wobbly_bits_after_wiped_phone_probe/

In response to a previous topic that Linus and Luke covered on the WAN Show, they didn't cover about this one.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179867-your-abandoned-smartphone-may-betray-you/

So along those massive amount of files that Avast found, they also found 1000 pictures of naked women and men.

The beleaguered infosec bods saw 750 photos of naked women and 250 images of manhood from a pool of 40,000 photos still stored on a mere 20 second-hand Android devices.

they also added that from the thousand of disturbing pictures and also other files that they can dig up, one can easily track down the individual that owned that phone and use the dirt they dig up against the previous user.

"Stalkers, enemies, and thieves can abuse personal data to stalk, blackmail and steal people’s identities. They can use this information to watch people’s every move, exploit their strange fetishes, open credit cards in their name, or even continue what they started by further selling their personal information online."

my question about this is..... avast found 1000 naughty pics on 20 android devices? either those 20 people are super perverts, or they are 10 year olds that just found out what sex is.

If you didn't know, when you view pics on Twitter they automatically save on your device and stay there.

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

The other 39000 photos were split between cat pictures and duck face selfies!

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

"thousand of disturbing pictures"

i really want to know what their definition of disturbing is

heh ;) i could probably tell you

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Is Avast planning on publishing these pictures or what? Don't get our hopes up for nothing Avast...

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

heh ;) i could probably tell you

Sharpie in the pooper. 

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

I think there is a kinky side to everyone in this world..

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

The main reason I don't sell my old smartphones, because:

1. There is still a chance someone could get data off of it, however slim the chance, I don't want to take it.

2. I might still use it as a back up, especially if I happen to go away somewhere and don't mind losing it as much as my main phone I.e. Going camping on DofE

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Sharpie in the pooper.

or a horse appendage

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

The main reason I don't sell my old smartphones, because:

1. There is still a chance someone could get data off of it, however slim the chance, I don't want to take it.

2. I might still use it as a back up, especially if I happen to go away somewhere and don't mind losing it as much as my main phone I.e. Going camping on DofE

3. All phones that have used in the past have been used until they were in a condition that could be described as dead so there is no point in selling them.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

3. All phones that have used in the past have been used until they were in a condition that could be described as dead so there is no point in selling them.

Yo is that IP legit? Would not post that if it were (so it probs isn't right?).

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Until more information is released regarding the type, age, and state of these devices, I wouldn't worry too much. I mean, in one of the later versions of Android, one of the jelly bean releases, TRIM was introduced, and that not only stopped degradation over time, it also pretty much stops this.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

Yo is that IP legit? Would not post that if it were (so it probs isn't right?).

It's a dead end IP my ISP uses. If I try to access sites that are banned I'm redirected to there.

Or they are so old that children under the age of 10 look at them and ask why the screen doesn't respond correctly. And why the front flips open. And why it has a strange keyboard.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Sometimes I stick ram in slots 1 and 2 instead of 1 and 3...  :huh:

See, see, even PC companies intended some of our products to have a kinky side to them as well lol.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

"Please buy our product, please, please!"

It's free...

It's a dead end IP my ISP uses. If I try to access sites that are banned I'm redirected to there.

Do you live in Canada?

Sometimes I stick ram in slots 1 and 2 instead of 1 and 3...  :huh:

You monster! How can you live with yourself?!?!?

Do you live in Canada?

No. Where did you get that idea?

No. Where did you get that idea?

The post asking if the IP in your user box was real or not caused me to run a tracert command and I saw some stuff about Turk and i'm pretty sure thats a Canadian ISP.

The post asking if the IP in your user box was real or not caused me to run a tracert command and I saw some stuff about Turk and i'm pretty sure thats a Canadian ISP.

Turk as in Turkey. There is an ISP called Turk, I didn't know that.