We must stop using the term "next-gen"

APrettyCoolWalrus
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

lol maybe a different term would hurt a console player's feelings more than what they thing their console is.

"shit-gen"

It's 2014. The PS4 and the Xbox One have been out for more than 8 months. It's time to forget the PS3 and the 360, and start calling the PS4 and the Xbox One the current gen. 

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

They weren't even Next-Gen before they were released.

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

lol its ganna take some time, especially since devs are still making games for "last gen"

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I know, Luke's video of the 480 vs the PS4 made sure we know that.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

lol its ganna take some time, especially since devs are still making games for "last gen"

lol devs are making "next-gen games" and "last-gen games." Where's the current gen? I don't think devs are making games for the PS5 and the next Xbox's name is gunna be  :P

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

It's strange that they're still making near enough every new title for the PS3 and Xbox 360 as well. Maybe it just shows how small of a jump these new consoles were, people aren't bothering to switch. 

Apparently not even 5 years before their release...

Obviously referring to Slick's video with the GTX 480.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

lol devs are making "next-gen games" and "last-gen games." Where's the current gen? I don't think devs are making games for the PS5 and the next Xbox's name is gunna be  :P

you know what i mean lol

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

We are not console users.

I know. Neither am I. But the words"next-gen" and "PS4" and "Xbox" are still everywhere.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I don't think devs are making games for the PS5 and the next Xbox's name is gunna be  :P

The almighty XBOX....two :P

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

Technically they are next-gen. 

Technically they are next-gen. 

bTIZKmZ.gif

Get outta here with your technicalities.

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

The almighty XBOX....two :P

I wouldn't count on the Microsoft Xbox team to name their product what we expect...i mean look at the name change from Xbox 360 to Xbox One

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Marketing man.

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

I wouldn't count on the Microsoft Xbox team to name their product what we expect...i mean look at the name change from Xbox 360 to Xbox One

I know, it'll probably be a retarded name either way though, and the Two would certainly fit that 

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

We call them 'next gen' to make fun of how retardedly outdated their performance is.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

We call them 'next gen' to make fun of how retardedly outdated their performance is.

lol maybe a different term would hurt a console player's feelings more than what they thing their console is.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

We should call them previous gen now!

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

By definition, they were only next-gen before they were released. Now they are current gen.

What you people don't seem to realize is that there is an enormous cost to mass manufacture custom built systems. The Xbox One and PS4 have all of their components connected by a pick and place machine, then the casing is assembled and someone tightens a few screws. To build a custom PC like we say has way better performance would require retooling and adjustment of the production lines, and that isn't profitable. They are integrated devices, like smartphones and tablets.

I would go as far as to say console gamers are the "real" gamers here, they are more focused on the game than they are on fetishizing computer parts. They want to buy the console, stick in a disk, pick up a controller, and play. You still can't do that on a PC. You have to build it, install Windows etc. 

The performance isn't even that bad. Games around 10 years from now will look awesome on the Xbox One and PS4. They look great now, for god's sake. The optimization takes a long time, and part of the reason for the console cycle's existence is for devs to fully optimize their games for a stable platform. PCs are not stable platforms. The hardware changes yearly, and their stuff is expected to run on everything from the latest Titan Black to the pokiest 8800GT.

Stop with the asinine master race stuff and PTFO. The objective of fun, folks, which is an oft forgotten aspect of games these days.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

By definition, they were only next-gen before they were released. Now they are current gen.

What you people don't seem to realize is that there is an enormous cost to mass manufacture custom built systems. The Xbox One and PS4 have all of their components connected by a pick and place machine, then the casing is assembled and someone tightens a few screws. To build a custom PC like we say has way better performance would require retooling and adjustment of the production lines, and that isn't profitable. They are integrated devices, like smartphones and tablets

I would go as far as to say console gamers are the "real" gamers here, they are more focused on the game than they are on fetishizing computer parts. They want to buy the console, stick in a disk, pick up a controller, and play. You still can't do that on a PC. You have to build it, install Windows etc. 

The performance isn't even that bad. Games around 10 years from now will look awesome on the Xbox One and PS4. They look great now, for god's sake. The optimization takes a long time, and part of the reason for the console cycle's existence is for devs to fully optimize their games for a stable platform. PCs are not stable platforms. The hardware changes yearly, and their stuff is expected to run on everything from the latest Titan Black to the pokiest 8800GT.

Stop with the asinine master race stuff and PTFO. The objective of fun, folks, which is an oft forgotten aspect of games these days.

Wow, I suggest you take cover before the wonderful PC keyboard warriors wreck you. And are you suggesting that PC gamers aren't gamers at all because we like to do things the hard way? WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?!?!  *insert emoticon to look casual* :P

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Wow, I suggest you take cover before the wonderful PC keyboard warriors wreck you. And are you suggesting that PC gamers aren't gamers at all because we like to do things the hard way? WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?!?!  *insert emoticon to look casual* :P

I'm just saying that you're no less of a person or a gamer for just wanting to play the damn game and not do it the hard way.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

What you people don't seem to realize is that there is an enormous cost to mass manufacture custom built systems. The Xbox One and PS4 have all of their components connected by a pick and place machine, then the casing is assembled and someone tightens a few screws. To build a custom PC like we say has way better performance would require retooling and adjustment of the production lines, and that isn't profitable. They are integrated devices, like smartphones and tablets

Christ on a bike, someone seems to have over-reacted.