Newly build pc won't boot.

joejoe23

This is my first go at building my own pc.Alright ,so I finally got the final pieces for my new build. I used some parts from my old hp PC. These are the parts I used for my new build.

Cpu: i5 4670k-new

Mobo: Asus z87 plus - bought off someone which is certified to be working as of when he sold me.

Ram- Gskill ripjaws x 4gbx2 1600 MHz- new

Gpu- Sapphire R9 280x dual-x-new

Odd- lightscribe DVD r-w -old PC

Hdd- Seagate barracuda 7200 rpm 500gb containing windows 7- old PC

Psu- Antec neo Eco 520 watt - new but used on old build for a couple of months Case- define r4- new

So, I've put everything together in the case and connected all the cables properly afaik and those which I wasn't sure of, I refer to Linus's r4 build . After its done I power on the PSU and only the red power button led on the mobo beside the HD audio connector lit up . The power button on the case doesn't respond. The cpu fan, case fan and GPU fan isn't turning. And btw I connected a 4 pin to the 8 pin CPU connector as my power supply doesn't have an 8 pin cpu power connector. I'll attached a picture of the power led on the mobo turned on . So I wanna ask where have I gone wrong here. Thanks.

post-79726-14052065267424_thumb.jpg

Could you take a pic with the side panel off and without the flash that covers everything?

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Not sure as the image isn't that high res and its unclear but do you have the 4 pin plugged the to leftish side of the 8 pin connector instead of the rightish? If it is try moving to the right side.

4770k Delid @ 4.5Ghz/1.25V w/ NH-D15, Maximus VII Hero, HyperX Beast 8GB 1600Mhz, GTX770 DCII OC, Strider Gold S 750W, 120GB 840 EVO, 2TB Barracuda, No case : D

Quickfire TK (MX Brown), Naos 7000, 128GB Surface Pro 2, 32GB G2 With Lightning Rom V4

I think is is a simple problem :D  you haven't connected the PC case power button at all to the MB or you connected it incorrectly. 

Can you also take the side panel off and take another picture so we can see the MB more clearly and what is connected 

Edited by William12h

--- CPU:  AMD A10-7850k --- Motherboard:  ASUS X88MPlus --- RAM:  G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 Dual --- GPU:  Integrated APU --- Case:  Aerocool Dead Silence Gaming Cube Case  ---

is the 4pin correct in the 8pin slot?

Yes it wont fit in the other 4 pin slot.

Power on your PC using the MB and see what happens, it may turn on and turn off, If so you will most probably need to get a 8 pin connector since that part of the MB is not getting enough power.

If you have 2 4 pin connectors try them both 

Edited by William12h

--- CPU:  AMD A10-7850k --- Motherboard:  ASUS X88MPlus --- RAM:  G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 Dual --- GPU:  Integrated APU --- Case:  Aerocool Dead Silence Gaming Cube Case  ---

Could you take a pic with the side panel off and without the flash that covers everything?

Done.

I think is is a simple problem :D you haven't connected the PC case power button at all to the MB or you connected it incorrectly.

Can you also take the side panel off and take another picture so we can see the MB more clearly and what is connected

I have connected the case power,reset and led connector to the mobo.

Not sure as the image isn't that high res and its unclear but do you have the 4 pin plugged the to leftish side of the 8 pin connector instead of the rightish? If it is try moving to the right side.

Power on your PC using the MB and see what happens, it may turn on and turn off, If so you will most probably need to get a 8 pin connector since that part of the MB is not getting enough power.

I tried to press the power button on the mobo which is lit but its not doing anything.

Check out http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/Z87-PLUS/E7831_Z87-PLUS.pdf or Look in your MB manuel and go to Page 58/10/1-42 and under System Panel Connector, follow the instructions to ensure the PC case power button is connected correctly.

I have two 4 pins but the other 4 pin doesn't fit in the empty 4 pin that I left out.

It may be best for you to go Step by Step again to replugg all the cables again. 

you should be able to hotwire it sorta thing to power it on your self by using a screwdriver or something metal, preferably with a rubber handle, and connect the 2 pins that power on the MB on the System Panel connector.

Done.
I have connected the case power,reset and led connector to the mobo.

I tried to press the power button on the mobo which is lit but its not doing anything.

Are all the power cables properly inserted on the MB and in the PSU and in the correct PSU slot. since i believe you have a Semi or fully Modular PSU 

Edited by William12h

It may be best for you to go Step by Step again to replugg all the cables again.

you should be able to hotwire it sorta thing to power it on your self by using a screwdriver or something metal, preferably with a rubber handle, and connect the 2 pins that power on the MB on the System Panel connector.

How do I do the hotwire thing?

How do I do the hotwire thing?

On the MB where you plug the PC case power button in to it, where the Power button is plugged into, I think its the PWR and Ground pin, just connect them to together for a few seconds. and it should power up or attempt to. Just place the screwdriver on 2 pins at a time for a few seconds till you find the right ones.

On the MB where you plug the PC case power button in to it, where the Power button is plugged into, I think its the PWR and Ground pin, just connect them to together for a few seconds. and it should power up or attempt to. Just place the screwdriver on 2 pins at a time for a few seconds till you find the right ones.

I tried putting the screwdriver on the two pins for power switch on the case. Still nothing happens.

The only issue I can see is that it needs an 8 pin CPU power. Are you positive the connectors are situated correctly--since you can't seem to fit the other 4 pin connector.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

The only issue I can see is that it needs an 8 pin CPU power. Are you positive the connectors are situated correctly--since you can't seem to fit the other 4 pin connector.

I'll try again

Turn the PSU off, Unplug the 24 Pin and your 4 pin in the 8 pin slot.

Take out your GPU.

Plug the 24 Pin in and turn it all on and try to power. If nothing happens add your 4 Pin connector to the 8 Pin, and try again.

If nothing happens you will most likely need to get a 8 Pin connector since your MB is not getting enough power to all of its components. 

I tried putting the screwdriver on the two pins for power switch on the case. Still nothing happens.

Make sure the 24-pin is firmly in (I've had this issue before) as well as the 4/8-pin power for the motherboard. 

Which fans are turning on (if any)? Are there any lights turning on?

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7 .:. Processor: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7GHz .:. Graphics Card: MSI GTX 770 Twin Frozr OC 2GB

Storage: 1x 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1x 1000GB WD Blue .:. RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill RipjawzX 2133MHz .:. CPU Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate

Case: NZXT H440 Black/Red .:. PSU: Corsair CX600M .:. Fans: 5x 120mm AeroCool Dead Silence, 1x 140mm AeroCool Dead Silence

If I'm looking at this right you have a 4+4 pin cpu power cable, you need to have those put together (they should snap together with tabs) and then plug that in for the cpu.

Double check to see if you have connected the front panel power connector in its correct port....

8 pin in and it booted . Thanks everyone for the help.