Rate the Photo Above you

4 minutes ago, mama_fluxus said:

I just wanted to add that I'd hang that top picture on my wall right now. I LOVE the texture of every part of this photo. The foreground slightly defocused to draw attention to the beautifully textured mountains to the texture of the clouds in the sky. You should post this on Reddit with a link to buy prints.

But, that's just my 2 cents! :P

thanks ? only problem is that's not a scaled down version, what you see there is the whole thing... not really enough resolution to print at any respectable size >_< unless maybe you never get too close to it :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

7 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

wow, that's pretty much the lowest grade possible.... I thought they were a little better than that.  I know of course that this is a scene that 1000 people would see in a day so I tried to frame them in an interesting way and take them from a slightly atypical position.

Can you offer any specific feedback about what's not so great and how to improve them?

I looked online on google images to see how other dinosaur bone exhibits in museums are photographed.  None of what I found we're really interesting enough.  They're all just photos of bones set to poses that look either menacing or supposed to show the perceived nature of each type of dinosaur, juxtaposed in front of museum decorations set to look like landscapes from the eras when they lived and thrived.

You can try taking wider angle shots that capture the entire skeletal structure instead of close ups...

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

1 minute ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

I looked online on google images to see how other dinosaur bone exhibits in museums are photographed.  None of what I found we're really interesting enough.  They're all just photos of bones set to poses that look either menacing or supposed to show the perceived nature of each type of dinosaur, juxtaposed in front of museum decorations set to look like landscapes from the eras when they lived and thrived.

Thanks, that's good context to take this feedback in.

1 minute ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

You can try taking wider angle shots that capture the entire skeletal structure instead of close ups...

Interesting, I do have more than a few of those, but I felt like they were "documentary" pictures that recorded the scene but brought no interest or art to it, and it was my intent with these to try to break out of that and give the scene some life, but I guess I failed.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Interesting, I do have more than a few of those, but I felt like they were "documentary" pictures that recorded the scene but brought no interest or art to it, and it was my intent with these to try to break out of that and give the scene some life, but I guess I failed.

For this sort of thing, ideally you would want to be able to take photos of the fossils in a controlled environment. I.e. A photo studio. Not in public displays in a museums where you have no control over the lighting or background.  Else, you would be just "documenting" how they look being displayed in a museum.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

Just now, AkiraDaarkst said:

For this sort of thing, ideally you would want to be able to take photos of the fossils in a controlled environment. I.e. A photo studio. Not in public displays in a museums where you have no control over the lighting or background.  Else, you would be just "documenting" how they look being displayed in a museum.

oh, more like product photography, except instead of some item for a store it's fossils.  Wouldn't have thought of that, especially since there's no way I'd get that opportunity :P

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

oh, more like product photography, except instead of some item for a store it's fossils.  Wouldn't have thought of that, especially since there's no way I'd get that opportunity :P

Perhaps you can find replicas of dinosaur fossils and be creative, like the togs in these articles.

https://petapixel.com/2017/06/21/photographer-shot-butterflies-stomach/

https://petapixel.com/2016/10/15/audi-r8-photos-shot-model-car-clever-angles/

An idea, fossilized dinosaurs hunting modern day humans.  Would require a lot of photoshop work, but would be worth it.

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Maybe try and get a really wide angle, but shoot so you get everything around in the frame, the people watching, the personel at the museum and so on. Maybe get a slightly longer shutterspeed so you get a sense of motion in the people, that way you will see where most peole stop and look and where most people just goes past. It will maybe more like a street photo, but I think it could look interesting. It will at least be a lot more interesting points of the image and give a sense of motion, maybe stress in some people, you know, parents that try to keep track of their kids and so on. 

This would more be an image of the "museum" but I think that it could be more interesting than a closeup of a fossil unless you have studio access to this fossil. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, VenomZ_ said:

I just got a dslr and idk crap about photos but I tried to make this look good with lighting any suggestion on how to improve

So it's just a random click of the shutter to see if the camera you received actually works?

On 7/1/2017 at 5:26 PM, VenomZ_ said:

I just got a dslr and idk crap about photos but I tried to make this look good with lighting any suggestion on how to improve

Well, uh, I guess I'd start with getting the background boxes and stuff out of the picture to focus on what you want.

On 2017-07-02 at 1:26 AM, VenomZ_ said:

4Kj258WNRw2_4NvOlazhFA.png

Well sure, its properly exposed..but you got a large flare, a horrific composition and tbh I don’t have a clue on what the image focuses on. Like what is the subject of the image. 

It may sound harsh but really now it looks like something you would send on snapchat when you are bored. Think a bit more before you take the shot. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

On 7/3/2017 at 11:23 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well, uh, I guess I'd start with getting the background boxes and stuff out of the picture to focus on what you want.

On 7/4/2017 at 3:41 PM, xQubeZx said:

Well sure, its properly exposed..but you got a large flare, a horrific composition and tbh I don’t have a clue on what the image focuses on. Like what is the subject of the image. 

It may sound harsh but really now it looks like something you would send on snapchat when you are bored. Think a bit more before you take the shot. 

I took both your advice and cleaned out the background switched to Manual mode and reduced the ISO to 100 aperture is 3.5 and i don't know about the shutter speed but I got it set to 1/25 got better lighting and here are the new pics Trying to learn 

15 hours ago, VenomZ_ said:

I took both your advice and cleaned out the background switched to Manual mode and reduced the ISO to 100 aperture is 3.5 and i don't know about the shutter speed but I got it set to 1/25 got better lighting and here are the new pics Trying to learn 

I would say that's an improvement.

The Previous images seem to not show anymore, and someone have already commented on it, so I am just going to post a new image.

I tried to take like a "Product shot" again. This time it's tomatoes.

35395465460_40c56540c9_k.jpgTomatoes
(If you wonder, it it taken on my kitchen on a induction hob)

Anything I could do better?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

2 hours ago, Mihle said:

The Previous images seem to not show anymore, and someone have already commented on it, so I am just going to post a new image.

I tried to take like a "Product shot" again. This time of potatoes.
[snip]

Yes, I would try to get some actual potatoes rather than using a stand-in, these just don't have the same feel at all

10 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yes, I would try to get some actual potatoes rather than using a stand-in, these just don't have the same feel at all

I ment tomatoes... In my defence, I am sleepy.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 

-Stephen Hawking

3 hours ago, Mihle said:

I ment tomatoes... To my defence, I am sleepy.

Well it is in the same family, close enough I suppose :P 

As for the picture, the first thing I notice is the noise.  Being that this is a still shot in a controlled environment, you should have no problem doing whatever you need (ie, slower shutter speed) to use ISO 100 (or lower if available) to avoid that as much as possible.

Edit: I can't help but notice you edited your post to change grammar that was already correct into being incorrect.  Chalk that up to the sleep too I guess :P 

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

3 hours ago, Mihle said:

I tried to take like a "Product shot" again. This time it's  tomatoes.

Tomatoes
(If you wonder, it it taken on my kitchen on a induction hob)

The only thing that bugs me is the difference in color between the window light and the kitchen lights. Other than that the exposure and framing both look good.

Here's mine.

35068972910_237a04e6fc_b.jpg

Packard Clipper

i5 4690k  -  MSI Z97M Gaming  -  GTX 970  -  Kingston HyperX Savage  -  Samsung 840 EVO  -  Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

16 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well it is in the same family, close enough I suppose :P 

As for the picture, the first thing I notice is the noise.  Being that this is a still shot in a controlled environment, you should have no problem doing whatever you need (ie, slower shutter speed) to use ISO 100 (or lower if available) to avoid that as much as possible.

Edit: I can't help but notice you edited your post to change grammar that was already correct into being incorrect.  Chalk that up to the sleep too I guess :P 

The problem is, that I dont really have a tripod that you can change the height on...
(ISO was 400 btw)
But I didnt really do any noise reduction in post either..... :$

14 hours ago, HazMatt said:

The only thing that bugs me is the difference in colour between the window light and the kitchen lights. Other than that the exposure and framing both look good.

Oh, I didnt really have much of a choice other than turning one of them off, because I dont really have any other lights I know of that is the same colour temp, and is strong enough. 

Also, really nice picture you have there, I personally dont know what to improve that

-Stephen Hawking

Just now, Mihle said:

The problem is, that I dont really have a tripod that you can change the height on...
(ISO was 400 btw)
But I didnt really do any noise reduction in post either..... :$

Ah, that seems like a fair bit for ISO 400... what camera? It also looks like there is colour noise which is not typical for a DSLR in my experience

19 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Ah, that seems like a fair bit for ISO 400... what camera? It also looks like there is colour noise which is not typical for a DSLR in my experience

Canon 600D

Can it be my editing software? I am using Rawtherapee
When I look at the raw image in standard Windows image viewer (I think its then showing the jpeg in the raw image or something, thats at least what I have heard) Its not colour noise in that way, its just more like noise.

-Stephen Hawking

3 minutes ago, Mihle said:

Canon 600D

Can it be my editing software? I am using Rawtherapee
When I look at the raw image in standard Windows image viewer (I think its then showing the jpeg in the raw image or something, thats at least what I have heard) Its not colour noise in that way, its just more like noise.

afaik the windows 10 "photos" app can actually read RAW files, it's not displaying an embedded jpg or something like that, but I haven't tested extensively to prove that one way or another.  It probably is your software then since that camera should be just fine.

Feel free to decline but if you want I'd take a look at the RAW in camera raw/photoshop so I can compare it against what I'm familiar with

41 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

afaik the windows 10 "photos" app can actually read RAW files, it's not displaying an embedded jpg or something like that, but I haven't tested extensively to prove that one way or another.  It probably is your software then since that camera should be just fine.

Feel free to decline but if you want I'd take a look at the RAW in camera raw/photoshop so I can compare it against what I'm familiar with

It could be the adjustments in post processing, I wouldn't imagine the 600d raw files are that great for detail recovery, so even slight adjustments with the equivalent of shadows sliders etc. may be the culprits. Also, iso 400 wasn't exactly low back then, my 50d for instance was pretty crap from 1600, which is only 2 stops from that... I believe its the same or pretty much the same sensor is it not? 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I am not using the windows 10 photos app, I am using the one that is on windows 7 and stuff too.
I will send you the raw on PM, but just a note, it is underexposed. (I did rise it in post)

And btw, I know I should get a tripod that isnt shit.
I also want to get my own camera sometime in the future.
(the camera gear I am using, I am borrowing from a granddad that dont use it anymore)

-Stephen Hawking