Rate the Photo Above you

@Flyguygamer 8/10. Pretty rad, and I like the darkness, very sleep hollow like. 

Part of a series of Skulls I shot for a tattoo artist using black foam core for background and setting. 2-3 light setup and modifiers. 50mm lens. 

post-52795-0-67526600-1394443568_thumb.j

| Specs: Red = New | CPU: AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.2ghz | MOBO: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z | RAM: G-Skill 16GB DDR3 SDRAM | GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 780 Ti | CASE: Antec 1200 Full Tower | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 Black/Red Cherry MX Red's | MOUSE: Corsair Raptor M40 | 

Part of a series of Skulls I shot for a tattoo artist using black foam core for background and setting. 2-3 light setup and modifiers. 50mm lens. 

I like the photo, it is a good concept. It is composed very nicely. Skulls and snakes are always interesting subjects. However I feel it is a little too dark for my liking, I understand that you are probably going for a dark look but the heads of the snake and detail on the skull are getting hidden in the shadows.

I was thinking about posting a picture of my toe with a half-fallen off nail but that'd be way too gross.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

6/10, I think it is a little dark and that it could benefit form some background I think.

8 second exposure - 55mm - f/36 - iso 100 - lightly edited in photoshop for brightness.

post-33678-0-79232700-1394475959_thumb.j

6/10, I think it is a little dark and that it could benefit form some background I think.

8 second exposure - 55mm - f/36 - iso 100 - lightly edited in photoshop for brightness.

attachicon.gifltt2.jpg

A nice shot, I like the use of the movement of the water. The only thing that is bugging me is that the horizon line doesn't look straight in the background. It looks like it is sloped to the right. I would also try getting in close to something in the foreground. Maybe get low and get right by the river bank with the rocks. It would show the movement of the water off slightly better IMO. Many times I have been in the river to get an interesting foreground ( very cold when I am standing in a river in January...)

A nice shot, I like the use of the movement of the water. The only thing that is bugging me is that the horizon line doesn't look straight in the background. It looks like it is sloped to the right. I would also try getting in close to something in the foreground. Maybe get low and get right by the river bank with the rocks. It would show the movement of the water off slightly better IMO. Many times I have been in the river to get an interesting foreground ( very cold when I am standing in a river in January...)

It was tilting slightly. Thanks for the feedback! Just to let you know you are supposed to post a photo you took when you rate. Looking forward to your photos.

attachicon.gifltt2.jpg

Did you bump up the brightness? If so I think you shouldn't have done that because now it looks overly bright and dis-saturated in colors and makes for white spots in the water.

Here's my take on your pic:

Adjust levels slightly:

sOAOF4C.jpg

Adjust horizon (always try to level out the horizon when taking a landscape photo unless you're willingly going for an effect), add a small amount of saturation and add a little vignette effect:

zWloRLi.jpg

Did you bump up the brightness? If so I think you shouldn't have done that because now it looks overly bright and dis-saturated in colors and makes for white spots in the water.

Here's my take on your pic:

Adjust levels slightly:

sOAOF4C.jpg

Adjust horizon (always try to level out the horizon when taking a landscape photo unless you're willingly going for an effect), add a small amount of saturation and add a little vignette effect:

zWloRLi.jpg

Wow. Thanks for the help and feedback. Do you have any other tips? Do you have time to improve some of my other photos I took that day? Can you give me the .psd file to see what you did?

This was taken quite a long time ago.My S3 does some decent shots after all!

2i6opi9.jpg

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I guess I'll have to take some more pictures with my mom's phone this weekend.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

@Nineshadow Cool macro, I just wish phones can start doing better low light photos. 9/10

Here is another Skull photo from the series I'm doing. The last one was yes indeed pretty dark, however when printed, it's much better.. for the web it was a bit too dark. This one is a bit dark as well, but you can see a bit more of the background foamcore. 

post-52795-0-85739500-1394501999_thumb.j

| Specs: Red = New | CPU: AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.2ghz | MOBO: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z | RAM: G-Skill 16GB DDR3 SDRAM | GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 780 Ti | CASE: Antec 1200 Full Tower | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 Black/Red Cherry MX Red's | MOUSE: Corsair Raptor M40 | 

@Nineshadow Cool macro, I just wish phones can start doing better low light photos. 9/10

Here is another Skull photo from the series I'm doing. The last one was yes indeed pretty dark, however when printed, it's much better.. for the web it was a bit too dark. This one is a bit dark as well, but you can see a bit more of the background foamcore. 

8.5/10 I like this one a lot better. More light and a background. 

15 sec exposure - 29mm - f/29    Lightly edited.

post-33678-0-44766100-1394507967_thumb.j

8.5/10 I like this one a lot better. More light and a background.

15 sec exposure - 29mm - f/29 Lightly edited.

ltt3.jpg

awesome picture. How do you get such low f/ arent the f/ kind of locked down?

My first GPU upgrade from the GTX580 Direct CU II taken with Galaxy Note 3

Posted Image

PC: The Oracle
Phone History: Nokia 3310, Samsung Z500, HTC Touch, iPhone 3GS + Samsung S5600 Preston, iPhone 3GS + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S2 + Samsung Galaxy Tab + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S3 + Blackberry Torch 9800, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 + Blackberry Bold 9900 + Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy Note 2  + Nokia Lumia 920, Galaxy S4 +Nokia Lumia 920, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S5

Wow. Thanks for the help and feedback. Do you have any other tips? Do you have time to improve some of my other photos I took that day? Can you give me the .psd file to see what you did?

Sure, send me some via PM, I could make you some step by step pics. Sending you the PSD doesn't really make sense since most of the steps are immediate changes to the picture that do not involve multiple layers. Recently I have only had one picture where I did use two layers, one for the sky and one for the foreground because editing both together and get a nice outcome on both was not possible, but usually I'm using gradients or just full-picture changes. 

Pretty cool.

8/10

ivljObHZGYLGY.png

uze5y9us.jpg

No, On my dslr with that lens I can get f/29.

No, On my dslr with that lens I can get f/29.

hmm i gotta check that out on my dslr. each lens has a different min max f/ right or...

or is it up to the body to decide the min max?

Phone History: Nokia 3310, Samsung Z500, HTC Touch, iPhone 3GS + Samsung S5600 Preston, iPhone 3GS + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S2 + Samsung Galaxy Tab + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S3 + Blackberry Torch 9800, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 + Blackberry Bold 9900 + Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy Note 2  + Nokia Lumia 920, Galaxy S4 +Nokia Lumia 920, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S5

hmm i gotta check that out on my dslr. each lens has a different min max f/ right or...

It's up to the lens.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

It's up to the lens.

hmm ok then i gotta check out my lenses then. for a water shot like yours i'd probably use my 14-24mm 2.8 nikon right?

hmm ok then i gotta check out my lenses then. for a water shot like yours i'd probably use my 14-24mm 2.8 nikon right?

Yes, 14-24mm sounds reasonable. Be aware that the focal length of the lens actually defines how much goes onto your picture. 14-24 is pretty wide angle already and is great for landscape photography. 50mm for instance is great for macro and portrait shots. The aperture size affects two things: a big aperture lets in more light and allows for smaller exposure times but it also creates a more shallow depth of field: your focus is going away much quicker so your subject will be in focus, but everything in front or behind it is going to disappear out of focus much quicker depending on the distance between those. A small aperture lets in less light and allows for higher exposure times and also creates a much higher depth of field so everything in the picture is going to be in focus/more stuff is going to be in focus.  

Edit: And please refrain from posting snapshots...a pic of your two brandnew GPUs taken with a phablet with no thought given about composure and/or editing done is not photography...it's a snapshot that goes on facebook or is shown to friends, not in a thread where people rate your skills to take photos.

Edit2: Here are two examples of what small aperture vs. big aperture looks like:

Big aperture (f2.8 40mm macro lens) note how the focus on the keycap disappears very quickly and how it's only in focus in the middle:

8Ex2mBP.jpg

Small aperture (f22 40mm macro lens) everything in focus though a bit blurry because of higher exposure time and I didn't use a tripod for this shot:

xltsOF1.jpg

Yes, 14-24mm sounds reasonable. Be aware that the focal length of the lens actually defines how much goes onto your picture. 14-24 is pretty wide angle already and is great for landscape photography. 50mm for instance is great for macro and portrait shots. The aperture size affects two things: a small aperture lets in more light and allows for smaller exposure times but it also creates a more shallow depth of field: your focus is going away much quicker so your subject will be in focus, but everything in front or behind it is going to disappear out of focus much quicker. A big aperture lets in less light and allows for higher exposure times and also creates a much higher depth of field so everything in the picture is going to be in focus/more stuff is going to be in focus.  

I think you got them revered :P

F/1.8 is a large aperture

F/22 is a small aperture

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I think you got them revered :P

F/1.8 is a large aperture

F/22 is a small aperture

As far as I know the size of the aperture is what matters and what is referred to when talkig about large or small apertures:

Big aperture = f22 = small hole

Small aperture = f1.8 = large hole

Edit: Nvm, I do have it wrong, wikipedia has an example picture which makes it clear :P Thanks for correcting me, I did fix my previous post already.

As far as I know the size of the aperture is what matters and what is referred to when talkig about large or small apertures:

Big aperture = f22 = small hole

Small aperture = f1.8 = large hole

Edit: Nvm, I do have it wrong, wikipedia has an example picture which makes it clear :P Thanks for correcting me, I did fix my previous post already.

yes I get things confused with the aperture from time to time.

No it is lens. That was the 18-55 IS II kit lens that can do min if f/3.5-f/5.6 and a max of f/22-f/36. The smaller f/ is at 18mm and the larger is at 55mm.