Intel ‘Devil’s Canyon’ chips’ NGPTIM is still not efficient

devil's canyon weren't suppose to be anything special. They are even selling it for same price. I expected even less from it. :)

Intel said so. You all need to stop this "Oh we knew it was just a refresh, nothing special" since that only encourages continued lies under the excuse of PR

-------

Current Rig

-------

It's not that they can't, they will not do it, it is more expensive for them, and until they have AMD or anyone else beating them, they will not give us soldered IHS on 11xx platforms, only xeons and i believe 2011 desktops and successors will have soldered IHS

If you watched the Intel stream with Linus, you would already know why there not soldering them in place..

I hope intel includes an 'enthusiast' CPU in their next generation with soldered heatspreaders for what? 10-20 bucks more? I think the amount of people who would buy that exact model over others would be remarkable.

It would only cost $20 more probably to do what they did before Ivy. Come on Intel, get your shit together.

ffs if you arent going to fix it just release a "new" enthusiast line cpus without lids

This. Intel please, for the love of god, do this. This will save so much time and effort in not having to de-lid them and hopefully, it should cut the cost down slightly. 

Also, on a side note, I wonder how well a de-lidded 4690K/4790K can overclock with a bit of exotic watercooling. Anyone willing to do it?

As far as I have heard they aren't using TIM because it is cheaper.

Intel said so. You all need to stop this "Oh we knew it was just a refresh, nothing special" since that only encourages continued lies under the excuse of PR

Wow...all of you really need to watch the stream. The dies became too small after Sandy Bridge to allow for soldering. The real problem the temps are so bad is not because of the TIM, it's because there is a gap in between the die and the IHS that the TIM does not fill completely. That's why your temps will improve drastically when you delid regardless of what TIM you use. 

Also, everyone here needs to consider what a minuscule part of the market we are. Devil's Canyon was nice enough, they aren't going to retool an entire section of their fab to make CPUs for the smallest market they serve. Either delid or don't, or get on LGA2011, but stop acting like a spoiled child and be grateful that they even tried to change the TIM at all.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Wow...all of you really need to watch the stream. The dies became too small after Sandy Bridge to allow for soldering. The real problem the temps are so bad is not because of the TIM, it's because there is a gap in between the die and the IHS that the TIM does not fill completely. That's why your temps will improve drastically when you delid regardless of what TIM you use. 

Also, everyone here needs to consider what a minuscule part of the market we are. Devil's Canyon was nice enough, they aren't going to retool an entire section of their fab to make CPUs for the smallest market they serve. Either delid or don't, or get on LGA2011, but stop acting like a spoiled child and be grateful that they even tried to change the TIM at all.

I think they should go back to Sandy and tweak it to make it perform better without making the die smaller.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Everybody, praise the lord GabeN and be grateful that they even tried to change the TIM at all.

1394452018523.jpg

who cares...

I think they should go back to Sandy and tweak it to make it perform better without making the die smaller.

But die shrinking is how they make it perform better. Do you understand semiconductor manufacturing?

Everybody, praise the lord GabeN and be grateful that they even tried to change the TIM at all.

Well, I mean, short of that, it's not very often that they rev their entire product line with new products that literally nobody but enthusiasts will buy.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

But die shrinking is how they make it perform better. Do you understand semiconductor manufacturing?

Well, I mean, short of that, it's not very often that they rev their entire product line with new products that literally nobody but enthusiasts will buy.

Yeah, no it's cool regardless. *literally*

I know that the binning process is what keeps them from making a high end model in terms of thermal interface.

Maybe they could however give proper delidding instructions and guarantee a limited warranty for a little extra $$ even if your chip fails after delidding. It would help the 3% of their customers that care. :D

who cares...

-snip-

If you delid and it fails they will actually still accept it on RMA, believe it or not. You can read about it in the delidding thread over at overclock.net.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I understand it. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I understand it. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Well it's the only way aside from clock speed bumps. I'm not sure how else you'd suggest they'd increase performance.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Well it's the only way aside from clock speed bumps. I'm not sure how else you'd suggest they'd increase performance.

Magic.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

And what do you expect from Intel?They have no competition at all.So they are trying to get as much money from old hardware as possible. And such things will happen no matter what we say. I would be mad if they were have raised DC prices, but it's exactly the same.

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

Magic.

Because that's worked SO well in the past...

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Because that's worked SO well in the past...

Clearly! How else do you think they came up with the names? ;)

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Clearly! How else do you think they came up with the names? ;)

Pentium must be a key element in witchcraft.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

So I'm not really that surprised. Not sure why Intel can't go back to soldering the IHS but it seems that like before, you'll need to de-lid it before you can push your chip any further.

http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/uncategorized/anton-shilov/intels-devils-canyon-chips-ngptim-is-still-not-efficient-research/

MONEY, That is all.

Intel will never go back to soldering because of cost, if Intel keeps this up then fuck them I'm going to AMD

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

MONEY, That is all.

Intel will never go back to soldering because of cost, if Intel keeps this up then fuck them I'm going to AMD

It's not cost, the dies are too small to solder the IHS anymore.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

It's not cost, the dies are too small to solder the IHS anymore.

Where did you find that piece of information because Ivy Bridge and Haswell dies aren't that much smaller than Sandy Bridge. I'm sure a company such as Intel could do it without much of a problem, it is just that they won't.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I hope intel includes an 'enthusiast' CPU in their next generation with soldered heatspreaders for what? 10-20 bucks more? I think the amount of people who would buy that exact model over others would be remarkable.

They already have that and its actually ~$20 cheaper. *looks over at the 4820K*

This. Intel please, for the love of god, do this. This will save so much time and effort in not having to de-lid them and hopefully, it should cut the cost down slightly.

Also, on a side note, I wonder how well a de-lidded 4690K/4790K can overclock with a bit of exotic watercooling. Anyone willing to do it?

There are very very good reasons that have a IHS, though you probably weren't around in the P3 days.

Basically, you'd see much higher prices on these CPUs if they were to solder them at all.

I think if you want performance from Intel, you should just go to the enthusiast grade processors. Otherwise, you're stuck paying $180+ for just a "really good consumer CPU" which really has always been the case but this whole DC thing is reminding people of that truth.

Bingo 2011 has always been the true enthusiast line.

I can only imagine the complaining with oh Intel only got a 2% improvement on their new processors.

Where did you find that piece of information because Ivy Bridge and Haswell dies aren't that much smaller than Sandy Bridge. I'm sure a company such as Intel could do it without much of a problem, it is just that they won't.

I believe it was on overclock.net awhile back. 

But yeah, Intel hardly sees a point in doing anything for enthusiasts because they only make real money off of selling the locked chips to system builders. We are an almost insignificant part of the market.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Not surprising.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

The point of Devils Canyon is not the TIM. It's in the power delivery caps on the bottom. However, that only helps the sub - zero overclockers.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

What it means is that the die is probably too small to get a consistent solder out of it. Its not that they wont do it because solder costs extra. It was most likely that they couldn't get a consistent weld and they were binning a lot of chips away just from quality control. 

Also, don't think that its going to be the same Lead/Tin mix that you use for soldering electronic components. They were using a different alloy to solder their heatspreaders so it doesn't behave in the same way

The point of Devils Canyon is not the TIM. It's in the power delivery caps on the bottom. However, that only helps the sub - zero overclockers.

Intel actually said devils canyon would help those on air more than extreme overclockers.

What it means is that the die is probably too small to get a consistent solder out of it. Its not that they wont do it because solder costs extra. It was most likely that they couldn't get a consistent weld and they were binning a lot of chips away just from quality control. 

Also, don't think that its going to be the same Lead/Tin mix that you use for soldering electronic components. They were using a different alloy to solder their heatspreaders so it doesn't behave in the same way

I unbderstand where you are coming from but a company such as Intel with what their capable of, I'm sure they would be able to figure it out. And fair enough even if it was the case what you've just mentioned, if thermal paste was the only option then why use that god aweful shit that they used with both Ivy Bridge and Haswell.

If it was me and I owned Intel, if it turned out that we couldn't solder anymore then I would have employed a decent thermal paste at least which to me suggests that it is infact money and they won't do it.