Giant rollable TVs on the horizon, says LG

RainfallWithin

_76171335_lg-display-oled.jpg

_76171341_lg-display-oled-2.jpg

Quotes from BBC News source: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28245659

LG has announced the release of two new paper-thin TV panels, with one that is so flexible it can be rolled into a 3cm diameter tube.

The company stated it is confident it will produce a 60in (152cm) Ultra HD rollable TV by 2017.

LG unveiled one of its first flexible TVs at CES - a global consumer electronics and technology trade show - earlier this year.

<Edit: text has been cut to shorten the article>

The new flexible panel has a resolution of 1,200x810, which is left undistorted even after it has been rolled into a 3cm cylinder.

LG says the flexibility was achieved thanks to using a backplane made of "high molecular substance-based polyimide film" instead of plastic.

The second panel is transparent and is said to greatly surpass earlier models, with the company boasting of a significant reduction in hazy images and a 30% increase in transmittance, which is responsible for the screen's transparent effect.

<Edit: text has been cut to shorten the article>

Personal Thoughts

I can see rollable displays like this being incredibly useful for taking large screens on the go. Also, displays could be placed on surfaces that are not flat. As for the transparent displays, putting them on windows is one idea.

Seems pretty interesting, and it could have some good uses.

GG LG

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen