AdBlock Plus being sued by German Companies

Victorious Secret

such a legal grey area this,  How can personal software that does not manipulate or download data outside of ones own personal computer/network be illegal.  Would me painting of parts of a poster I have hanging on my wall be just as illegal?

I find it hard to even say it's in the grey area.

Some adblocks just hide the ads. So they are first fetched, and then removed from the page. Most adblockers don't even fetch the ads to begin with. So it's more like pressing the "stop loading" button before the entire website is fully loaded. Should that be illegal as well?

Or it's like changing channel when the commercials start on TV. Is that illegal? Commercials are funding the program, and you are avoiding watching then.

I do as Linus says: I vote with my wallet ... sort of. I make sure to always have AdBlock on before coming to this place or watching any of his videos.

I diasabled AdBlock for a while but now that I have proof that this forum is run by biased people who actually support the MasterRace trolls instead of doing their best to make this the friendly community it was once supposed to be, I will gladly do my best to make sure that they make as little money as possible from my clicks. If they don't change their attitude, then I don't really care, whether or not they have to get real jobs and quit YouTube. Grow up, guys.

I think the ads on LTT are acceptable (on the forum, not on their videos).

You always have to scroll in order to actually see them. They aren't obnoxious flashy things. They take up quite a small portion of the page. No sounds or anything like that.

I'd give it 7-8/10.

On YouTube it's horrible though. First you see some ad next to the video. Then when you think you're going to see the video a stupid video ad starts. Some of which you can't even skip and they are like 20 seconds long or something. Then when the real video start he has some stupid pre-roll in there. When that has finally start you get some box with an ad at the bottom of the video, and then the video also contains a bunch of "subscribe" boxes covering stuff.

In my opinion adblock is gonna be the thing that screws the internet over.

So for all I care, it can go die in a hole and I will never use it.

Adblock is also a screw everyone else over dick move. If someone used adblock every website they go to will lose some revenue, when the company sees that they lose money and have to get more ads to support themselves. That just puts more ads on the honest guy.

Also unlike Piracy, revenue lost can be calculated by how many people used adblock vs how many pirated a game.

I hope one day Google makes it so no Google service can be used if an Adblocker is installed.

Why would you want AdBlock to disappear?

Adblock is a response to the problems with ads online. They are filled with spyware, viruses, they are obnoxious, block the content you actually want to see, take up lots of bandwidth etc.

The people using adblock are fed up with obnoxious ads. Don't punish the people who are fed up with an existing problem. What you should be fighting instead are the ad companies that make horrible ads. If all websites had reasonable ads, we wouldn't have this conversation.

The solution isn't to beat AdBlock and force people to watch ads. The solution is to make ads that people are okay with watching.

Threatening with "one day you won't be able to use Google if you have it installed" just makes me want to use it even more while I still can.

I do as Linus says: I vote with my wallet ... sort of. I make sure to always have AdBlock on before coming to this place or watching any of his videos.

I diasabled AdBlock for a while but now that I have proof that this forum is run by biased people who actually support the MasterRace trolls instead of doing their best to make this the friendly community it was once supposed to be, I will gladly do my best to make sure that they make as little money as possible from my clicks. If they don't change their attitude, then I don't really care, whether or not they have to get real jobs and quit YouTube. Grow up, guys.

I don't leave comments on YouTube and I don't thumb up or down any of their videos. I also make sure to skip any and all of their ads.

Why are you even here if that's the way you feel? stop watching them and stop wasting forum resources if you don't like how they make their money. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I find it hard to even say it's in the grey area.

Some adblocks just hide the ads. So they are first fetched, and then removed from the page. Most adblockers don't even fetch the ads to begin with. So it's more like pressing the "stop loading" button before the entire website is fully loaded. Should that be illegal as well?

Or it's like changing channel when the commercials start on TV. Is that illegal? Commercials are funding the program, and you are avoiding watching then.

Exactly my point, except for one thing, disabling DRM is illegal (in Aus anyway),  If a service provider claimed the ads were part of DRM, then in some countries (like mine) it could be deemed illegal to remove the ads as it disables or removes components of DRM.

I can't see this going to far to be honest but there have been worse decisions made in the courts before. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I don't even use adblock anymore i just use windows's hosts file which blocks all the ads as well.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 4,6GHZ OC MB: MSI Mpower z77  RAM: Kingston Genesis 1600Mhz CL9 16GB

GPU: ASUS R9 290 Direct CUII  PSU: Corsair AX 860

I personally wish add block did not exist, but that's just me

The amount of malware, viruses and dumb shit that people get from adds is amazing even those that come in through temporary files, I install adblock on every customers machine I get in for those problems, because the non tech savy have no idea what they're doing and are easy prey to this stuff. 

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

Places with more savvy viewers like Linus make much much less revenue directly because of adblock. Places with less savvy viewers (think makeup channels and stuff) make proportionally way more because their viewers don't have adblock.

I remember the Internet before 3rd party ads, it sucks.

Oh, forgot to ad this also:

7. What % of the web users do you think is using ABP?

Since most of the morons seem to think that Google or Facebook is the fucking internet...

Sure, on this forum most people would know what a browser is (I hope, tho I don't hold hope for some posters on this thread), some would know what Firefox is, some know what Extensions are and some know and use ABP (and even some of those don't seem to know how to add filter's since they claim to still see ads).

I'm sure the revenue for the companies will be almost 0,00000001% higher if everyone would just stop using ABP. Stop putting so much stock into people's technological knowledge, 99,99999999% of the people surfing the web are morons and doing it on Chrome (worst piece of shit invented... "but it loads sites 0.0000001ms faster, that makes almost 0.001ms during the day") or IE (even worse not much better, but comes with the OS and most people just don't know anything else even exists).

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I white list this website and 1 other.

The rest can go fuck itself.

Especially AdTube.

I just disable adblock on youtube since i hate going to download something and there's 50 download buttons, it's like walking through a minefield.

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X

Addblock ftw.., i got some sites whitelisted but only when they deserve to be whitelisted

Sites with none intrusive..., NORMAL adds..., not adds that spamm ur brain from front to back with crap i dont care about hoping some of its goo will stick and possibly encouraging a sale..

Youtube with its 5 minutes play 1 minutes adverds on some of my favs over there isnt on my whitelist...

I sponser my tubers through purchases and donations..., that should be more then enough...

I remember the Internet before 3rd party ads, it sucks.

Yeah and I also remember dial up modems and computers that were 1/8th of the power most low end cellphones are nowadays: complete nonsense the tech just wasn't fucking there back then and that's why it sucked.

-------

Current Rig

-------

The thing I like most about adblock is there are so many FAKE websites that are set up just to draw traffic in and get money for ad views (search for a review, or support sites, or a manual). Then when you go to it, it has nothing to do with it at all, or it says it's solved, but you have to pay to see the solution... and sometimes the solution is "contact tech support".

LAME! You can disable adblock plus on a per site basis.

I always guarantee that no more than 50% of what I say is useful.

The amount of malware, viruses and dumb shit that people get from adds is amazing even those that come in through temporary files, I install adblock on every customers machine I get in for those problems, because the non tech savy have no idea what they're doing and are easy prey to this stuff. 

I just like to ensure I am support any and everyone that uses adverts as a way to make money. I have no issues with 99% of most adverts and honestly barely notice them. The 15-20 channels I watch on youtube generally have skippable adverts and I honestly do not mind

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I just like to ensure I am support any and everyone that uses adverts as a way to make money. I have no issues with 99% of most adverts and honestly barely notice them. The 15-20 channels I watch on youtube generally have skippable adverts and I honestly do not mind

Its the ads that you can't skip that drive me up the wall. 

Thanks YouTube and Google. As if I didn't get enough of those in the first place.

I don't see how suing what is basically a browser end firewall/blacklist would be legal, at least in the states. You can chose not to load things if you want. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Its the ads that you can't skip that drive me up the wall. 

Thanks YouTube and Google. As if I didn't get enough of those in the first place.

They annoy me a little I guess. I am just not really bothered.

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

There should be an extension that hides ads and makes it so you can't click on them but the ads are technically still there, so youtubers you like can still get ad revenue. With adblock youtube still has ad overlays in the video but the you tubers don't get revenue. If you really want to get the best out of youtube than use an HTML5 plugin paired with adblock.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

There should be an extension that hides ads and makes it so you can't click on them but the ads are technically still there, so youtubers you like can still get ad revenue. With adblock youtube still has ad overlays in the video but the you tubers don't get revenue. If you really want to get the best out of youtube than use an HTML5 plugin paired with adblock.

Yah I've done something similar. Idk how it world work with videos, but for ads you can just block non-popups by using js to get the parent element and css load it but make it not visible.. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

After broadband and before youtube was a thing.  There were a few years in there where I had broadband, and playing games was amazing.  There were crappy message boards, crappier chat rooms, some(a small amount of funny flash content) video, and games.  Also p2p but that was mostly to share big name content.  The tech was there, the audience was there, the content lagged behind bigtime.  You could play games and watch video just fine on a pentium 3.  There was user generated content, but it was in the form of hobbies, not as legitimate businesses.  Commercial operations were still extremely centralized.  

Yeah and I also remember dial up modems and computers that were 1/8th of the power most low end cellphones are nowadays: complete nonsense the tech just wasn't fucking there back then and that's why it sucked.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

This should exist and It should be popular.

It should do 2 things

Statify ads so they aren't Gifs

Have it so it doesn't link anywhere unless a hotkey is used.

Block sounds, and background popups, cause those are the worst.

Like rather than adblock, its adnormalizer.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

Sounds good, but ads are designed to make you want the product. I'd rather just not see them.

Yah I've done something similar. Idk how it world work with videos, but for ads you can just block non-popups by using js to get the parent element and css load it but make it not visible.. 

Bingo. I don't think it's possible with videos. They aren't served by YouTube, but you could block the JavaScript button over the entire thing.

This should exist and It should be popular.

It should do 2 things

Statify ads so they aren't Gifs

Have it so it doesn't link anywhere unless a hotkey is used.

Block sounds, and background popups, cause those are the worst.

Like rather than adblock, its adnormalizer.

I'd still just rather not see all the ads.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I've tried to disable adblock for a couple of sites that I supported but for unknown reason the loading time went up from up-to-a-second to up-to-three (and sometimes more). So I've given up on that.

I've tried to disable adblock for a couple of sites that I supported but for unknown reason the loading time went up from up-to-a-second to up-to-three (and sometimes more). So I've given up on that.

If I enable ABP for this page, it'll tell me it just blocked 91 ads. 

I know Linus isn't that crazy, so where/what/ are these ads normally and how is ABP catching, and why is the number so bloody high? 

If I enable ABP for this page, it'll tell me it just blocked 91 ads. 

I know Linus isn't that crazy, so where/what/ are these ads normally and how is ABP catching, and why is the number so bloody high? 

That's bizarre man. I just enabled it for a second to test, and it says it blocked one ad (Which would be the banner ad at the bottom).

I think ABP may be reporting ads from another tab or page? Or it's glitched out for some reason. Could be you need to reinstall it? ... I mean... not that it matters lol. Whether it says it blocked 1 or 47, as long as it correctly blocks ads then I guess who cares if the reporting function isn't right?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)