AdBlock Plus being sued by German Companies

Victorious Secret

adblock_plus_large_verge_medium_landscap

I thought it was going to be one of those "We are mad we can't have ads" kind of things but the arrangements that Google and others have of paying to allow their ads to go past ABP seems a little sketchy. 

Its effectively having to double dip just to show your advertisements. ADP should just block everything and let US decide what gets whitelisted or doesn't, IMO. 

Adblock Plus makers have been slapped with lawsuits by multiple marketing companies in Germany for affecting revenue by blocking ads.

The popular extension, available for all web browsers, blocks advertisements on websites, which is the primary source of revenue for marketing companies. Adblock Plus vendors have a controversial arrangement with some websites which have been whitelisted from the extension by default.

Now, a number of advertising companies in Germany have been reported to have filed lawsuits against Eyeo, the company behind Adblock Plus. The companies believe that the business model of Adblock Plus is illegal. It was recently reported that Google has been paying money in order to allow its ads to pass through Adblock Plus.

http://www.neowin.net/news/adblock-plus-sued-by-german-marketing-companies

I personally wish add block did not exist, but that's just me

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I dont get how it isnt just banned from every web browser i really dont care about normal ads the only thing i care about is when im trying to watch a youtube video and there is one of those stupid video ads before and popups which adblock doesnt even stop pop ups so and it is really doing more harm then good the people on youtube arent getting paid for what they do.

I use Adblock Plus yet I have no idea what these white listed ads are suppose to be. I don't see any ads if I don't disable it.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

the only thing i care about is when im trying to watch a youtube video and there is one of those stupid video ads before... the people on youtube arent getting paid for what they do...

So you hate pre-roll ads AND you hate Adblock Plus for stopping them. You what?

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

This isn't surprising to be honest, if you favor one kind of brand, like X over the other brand Z, the brand Z isn't pleased by it and starts to sue you for favoring brand X. It's not wise decision what Adblock Plus did with white listing one kind of ads over the other.

(Copy from previous wrong thread).

Watch out, there might be ninjas out there  :ph34r:

I wouldn't use AdBlock on some sites (whitelist) if it wasn't for the fact they keep showing me fake download buttons and when someone else uses my PC it gets full of crap because of that.

I don't agree with AdBlocking but it's just necessary in some cases.

If websites didn't use outrageously obtrusive adverts, we wouldn't need ABP. I have ABP disabled on any websites I use often and don't bombard me with ads (LTT, YouTube, TekSyndicate, Escapist, etc...). But when news sites have an ad page before you go to the article page, a pop-up ad video after you click past the ad page, followed by flashing ads (some with sound) in the article, I have to block them. And they deserve the lost revenue as far as I'm concerned.

Steam: SolvingJunk

YouTube: SolvingJunk

Twitter: @SolvingJunk

I personally wish add block will always exist, but that's just me

Do you want websites having to go behind a paywall to be able to afford their running costs? Cause that's how you get it.

I persoanlly like Adblock.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

I persoanlly like Adblock.

I personally wish they would add block for ad block, but that's just me

I personally wish they add ads in oculus facebook rift firmware, but that's just me

I personally wish add block get replaced by ads while you open your web browser, ads playing fullscreen for half an hour, no close option, but that's just me

something like a TV. I love TV ads. I watch one of those channels that only play ads. Love em.

I wouldn't even use my browser anymore if there wasn't adblocker, seriously fuck off with advertisements which make no sense on EVERY SINGLE website.

Do you want websites having to go behind a paywall to be able to afford their running costs? Cause that's how you get it.

there are two kinds of websites

1. are the ones with shit tons of insane ads and "this girl is near you and she wants to date you" BS

2.are the sane websites with a few ads that are actually geared for people who visit their websites  (anandtech pcper techpowerup tom's hardware etc)

i allow #2 web sites

and block #1

i normally Visit such websites when i really need something from them and i tell ad block to not block "sane" Ads

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I dont get how it isnt just banned from every web browser i really dont care about normal ads the only thing i care about is when im trying to watch a youtube video and there is one of those stupid video ads before and popups which adblock doesnt even stop pop ups so and it is really doing more harm then good the people on youtube arent getting paid for what they do.

I'm sorry they aren't getting paid for what they do. I don't like the endless psychological barrage of advertising and I'm not required to be providing YouTubers with a living. I'm sorry. It's never been an extremely profitable job, nor should it be.

If I really like a website, I donate to it. Monthly. If I don't like it, then yes, I don't care if they hit the paywall. 

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

If Adblock stopped working I think I would stop surfing the web. The internet looks like sh*t with adds everywhere. I have gotten too used to it and I never want to go back.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I don't think that I could live without adblock.  It makes web browsing a much more enjoyable experience.  I keep it disabled on the forum but that's it. 

At least we're not keeping Linus from "earning" some money through ads with adblocker :). Im totally fine with the way he puts includes ads in his vids but what i dont like is getting 10 different ads shoved down my throath per page i visit :/, it all feels too forced to me

»»» Frankz' X99 System «««                                                                                         

CPU: 5820k 4.6Ghz 1.31v, Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws4 16GB DDR4@3000Mhz, GPU: ASUS GTX780 DirectCUII

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, HDD: WD Blue 1TB, PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G2, Cooler: Corsair H105, Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D        

I personally love AdBlock, all though I have white-listed a few YouTubers and sites.

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

there are two kinds of websites

1. are the ones with shit tons of insane ads and "this girl is near you and she wants to date you" BS

2.are the sane websites with a few ads that are actually geared for people who visit their websites  (anandtech pcper techpowerup tom's hardware etc)

i allow #2 web sites

and block #1

i normally Visit such websites when i really need something from them and i tell ad block to not block "sane" Ads

Not everyone has the courtesy to allow some ads through though.

If I really like a website, I donate to it. Monthly. If I don't like it, then yes, I don't care if they hit the paywall. 

Maybe there's a website you don't care about, but someone else does.

I love ABP. The only site that I don't use it on is LTT. Everyone else can kiss my electronic ass.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Only youtubers and website hosts dislike adblock, the rest of the world had just about enough of pop ups, full volume video adds and even flatout malware infested adds over 10 years ago.

Sell some tshirts, get a patreon account, subbable.com or whatever, just don't expect me to run without adblock anything.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I really don't see how this is illegal. The user can, as far as I know, remove the websites from their whitelist. 

Marketing companies can whine, if they'd like. Most of their ads suck and I've honestly never bought something due to a dedicated advert on the internet. 

I'm sorry they aren't getting paid for what they do. I don't like the endless psychological barrage of advertising and I'm not required to be providing YouTubers with a living. I'm sorry. It's never been an extremely profitable job, nor should it be.

Well here's where it gets a little tricky, ethically speaking. While there are means in place to circumvent ads on YouTube (AdBlock Plus), you're essentially circumventing the social contract that exists between Youtubers and their viewers. Youtube is supposed to be free. There are premium paid-for video services elsewhere, but most flock to youtube precisely because its free.

Also saying that "It's never been an extremely profitable job, nor should it be" as some excuse to skip the ads and thus prevent them from getting income? That's asinine. Youtubers DON'T make a lot of money, unless they're bigshots like Pewdiepie or Tobuscus. I feel this is the same as stuff like Video Game piracy. If you don't want to pay for it (in this case by watching/seeing ads), then you shouldn't watch the content.

If there is a donation system in-place and you choose to donate, then it becomes a murky grey area, where I believe you've earned the right to use Ad-Block. This is great for Youtube with the planned "Tip-Jar" feature that should be out soon.

The problem is that the Internet couldn't be sustained if everyone threw up paywalls, as most people would just say "Fuck this" and go elsewhere. YOU PERSONALLY might be alright with paywalls, but I'm not. Nor are most users. I'm comfortable with a donation system supported by ads because it gives me the flexibility to decide if I'd like to contribute financially.

Some users wouldn't be able to afford monthly subscription fees. So they can't enjoy the content because they're poor or financially restricted? NO! Because we have ads! If we got rid of ads, then those users would have course but to either pirate/circumvent the paywall, or not enjoy the content. Both of those outcomes are bad.

I fully support the use of AdBlock Plus in what I like to call "generic" web browsing though. You're googling stuff, or on a major website supported by a large corporation or that relies on other revenue streams, such as CNN.com or Gmail (Although with Google it's a little ironic, considering they support Gmail from their google adsense revenue), or lastly the website uses extremely annoying and intrusive ads (Anyone remember the "smiley face" HELLLOOOOOOOOOO ones that triggered if you mouse-over the ad?). But any website you actively support or are a member of should have AdBlock disabled if possible, most especially youtube and here at LTT (Though if you're a donor, then I'll forgive you).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Ads are under no circumstances acceptable and I block every one of them.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn