$4500 Mining Rig any ideas?!?!? (Comes w/ Story)

How rude. Yes, I realize 290x are cheaper, however you will fit more GPUs total with 2 R9-295x2 and the rest R9 290x.

Mining is all about price to performance ratio.

The 295x2, at best, doubles your hash rate compared to a 290x, but costs 5 times as much.

Maths is a wonderful thing.

Also, as @AK0490 said, you don't wanna be running 6 GPUs off of one board.

Mining is all about price to performance ratio.

The 295x2, at best, doubles your hash rate compared to a 290x, but costs 5 times as much.

Maths is a wonderful thing.

Also, as @AK0490 said, you don't wanna be running 6 GPUs off of one board.

I've done it.

I understand maths, for god's sake. I'm studying pure mathematics.

This isn't price to performance, he has $4500. You can go for absolute performance on that budget, it's not exactly price limited. You can buy two R9-295x2s and two R9-290xs and still have $500 for everything else. Maths is a wonderful thing, although I'd hardly classify this as mathematics.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

That was the point of the quote and story in pointing out the fact he's somewhat aware and still willing to risk it plus I'm in no position to deny him help and quite frankly he's a nice guy but we've been speaking of this for a while I've fully warned him, and it's to the point I'm just gonna take his money irregardless it's just I'm trying help him make his idiotic decision slightly less idiotic by consulting some people who know more about the subject than I do... And hope for some good karma down the road as hey even he's said he's willing to wait years if he has to... And trust me, he really does have patience of the highest degree.

i backup everythign faceman has said with the caveat (as someone who has lots of friends with money but no sense followed by no money and still no sense)

get him to buy a load of msi r9-290's (better bang/buck than r9-290x's) on a board with a ton of pcie lanes and the required adaptors, when it all falls through buy 1 or 2 of the cards off him for a big discount its like a private ebay but you dont have to bid, you just negotiate...

Falcon: Corsair 750D 8320at4.6ghz 1.3v | 4GB MSI Gaming R9-290 @1000/1250 | 2x8GB 2400mhz Kingston HyperX Beast | Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula | Antec H620 | Corsair RM750w | Crucial M500 240GB, Toshiba 2TB, DarkThemeMasterRace, my G3258 has an upgrade path, my fx8320 doesn't need one...total cost £840=cpu£105, board£65, ram£105, Cooler £20, GPU£200, PSU£88, SSD£75, HDD£57, case£125.

CASE:-NZXT S340 Black, CPU:-FX8120 @4.2Ghz, COOLER:-CM Hyper 212 EVO, BOARD:-MSI 970 Gaming, RAM:-2x4gb 2400mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro, GPU: SLI EVGA GTX480's @700/1000, PSU:-Corsair CX600m, HDD:-WD green 160GB+2TB toshiba
CASE:-(probably) Cooltek U1, CPU:-G3258 @4.5ghx, COOLER:-stock(soon "MSI Dragon" AiO likely), BOARD:-MSI z87i ITX Gaming, RAM:-1x4gb 1333mhz Patriot, GPU: Asus DCU2 r9-270 OC@1000/1500mem, PSU:-Sweex 350w.., HDD:-WD Caviar Blue 640GB
CASE:-TBD, CPU:-Core2Quad QX9650 @4Ghz, COOLER:-OCZ 92mm tower thing, BOARD:-MSI p43-c51, RAM:-4x1GB 800mhz Corsair XMS2, GPU: Zotac GTX460se @800/1000, PSU:-OCZ600sxs, HDD:-WD green 160GBBlueJean-A
 CASE:-Black/Blue Sharkoon T9, CPU:-Phenom2 x4 B55 @3.6Ghz/1.4v, COOLER:-FX8320 Stock HSF, BOARD:-M5A78L-M/USB3, RAM:-4GB 1333mhz Kingston low profile at 1600mhz, GPU:-EVGA GTX285, PSU:-Antec TP550w modu, STORAGE:-240gb  M500+2TB Toshiba
CASE:-icute zl02-3g-bb, CPU:-Phenom2 X6 1055t @3.5Ghz, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-Asrock m3a UCC, RAM:2x2GB 1333mhz Zeppelin (thats yellow!), GPU: XFX 1GB HD6870xxx, PSU:-some 450 POS, HDD:-WD Scorpio blue 120GB
CASE:-Packard Bell iMedia X2424, Custom black/red Aerocool Xpredator fulltower, CPU's:-E5200, C2D [email protected]<script cf-hash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>(so e8500), COOLER:-Scythe Big shuriken2 Rev B, BFG gtx260 sp216 OC, RAM:-tons..
Gigabyte GTX460, Gigabyte gt430,
GPU's:-GT210 1GB,  asus hd6670 1GB gddr5, XFX XXX 9600gt 512mb Alpha dog edition, few q6600's
PICTURES CASE:-CIT mars black+red, CPU:-Athlon K6 650mhz slot A, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-QDI Kinetiz 7a, RAM:-256+256+256MB 133mhz SDram, GPU:-inno3d geforce4 mx440 64mb, PSU:-E-Zcool 450w, STORAGE:-2x WD 40gb "black" drives,
CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra, CPU:-Athlon64 4000+, COOLER:-BIG stock one, BOARD:-MSI something*, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz ECC transcend, GPU:-ati 9800se@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-2x maxtor 80gb,
PICTURES CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra (another), CPU:-Pentium4 2.8ghz prescott, COOLER:-Artic Coolering Freezer4, BOARD:-DFI lanparty infinity 865 R2, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz kingston, GPU:-ati 9550@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-another 2x WD 80gb,
CASE:-ML110 G4, CPU:-xeon 4030, COOLER:-stock leaf blower, BOARD:-stock raid 771 board, RAM:-2x2GB 666mhz kingston ECC ddr2, GPU:-9400GT 1GB, PSU:-stock delta, RAID:-JMicron JMB363 card+onboard raid controller, HDD:-320gb hitachi OS, 2xMaxtor 160gb raid1, 500gb samsungSP, 160gb WD, LAPTOP:-Dell n5030, CPU:-replaced s*** cel900 with awesome C2D E8100, RAM:-2x2GB 1333mhz ddr3, HDD:-320gb, PHONE's:-LG optimus 3D (p920) on 2.3.5@300-600mhz de-clock (batteryFTW)

I've done it.

I understand maths, for god's sake. I'm studying pure mathematics.

This isn't price to performance, he has $4500. You can go for absolute performance on that budget, it's not exactly price limited. You can buy two R9-295x2s and two R9-290xs and still have $500 for everything else. Maths is a wonderful thing, although I'd hardly classify this as mathematics.

Yes on that budget, you can go pure performance. E.g. a 295x2 for gaming, but not for mining.

Mining is always about price to performance and ROI.

Spending all the money on 295x2's he will never make a ROI.

I understand he probably won't on 290x's either, but it's more likely.

The 295x2 does not represent a good mining card.

You can sacrafice some price:performance (a 280x outperforms a 290x in price:performance) so that you can mine faster, but you can't just waste money. I.e. spending 5x more for 2x performance (best case for that card).

The ASIC things are legit. Stands for Application Specific Integrated Circuit. Basically a chip that is designed to carry out one function and do it as efficiently as possible. Hence the relatively high hash rates.

Comb it with a brick

Yes on that budget, you can go pure performance. E.g. a 295x2 for gaming, but not for mining.

Mining is always about price to performance and ROI.

Spending all the money on 295x2's he will never make a ROI.

I understand he probably won't on 290x's either, but it's more likely.

The 295x2 does not represent a good mining card.

You can sacrafice some price:performance (a 280x outperforms a 290x in price:performance) so that you can mine faster, but you can't just waste money. I.e. spending 5x more for 2x performance (best case for that card).

But he has the budget for it. I honestly don't care, essentially we're doing all the work here, his friend doesn't even understand why this is a bad idea, so I'm not sure how important ROI is. Teach him a lesson.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

But he has the budget for it. I honestly don't care, essentially we're doing all the work here, his friend doesn't even understand why this is a bad idea, so I'm not sure how important ROI is. Teach him a lesson.

He has the budget for 2/3 r9 295x2's, or 10 r9-290x's.

For mining, I know which I'd rather have.

Isn't the point of a forum to help people out and learn about stuff you don't know about?

I don't think we'd be doing our duty as a community if we just recommend a terrible idea to "teach him a lesson."

Isn't the point of a forum to help people out and learn about stuff you don't know about?

I don't think we'd be doing our duty as a community if we just recommend a terrible idea to "teach him a lesson."

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/140478-features-suggestions/?p=2401293

;)

Builder

The suggestion of purchasing 295x2's is horrible, if you're going to advocate throwing away money, at least give the option to donate to a charity instead.

I really don't think you understand mining.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

You sir, can leave this thread before you taint it further, you have no knowledge in this matter at all, do you?

280X would be the best decision GPU wise, and probably against ASICs too as you have the choice to mine several different ASIC resistant currencies. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

I didn't mean teach the OP a lesson, I meant teach his friend who doesn't really seem to understand cryptocurrency enough to realize this is a bad idea.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/140478-features-suggestions/?p=2401293

;)

Builder

The suggestion of purchasing 295x2's is horrible, if you're going to advocate throwing away money, at least give the option to donate to a charity instead.

I really don't think you understand mining.

I do understand mining. I understand price to performance as well. However when someone comes to a thread asking for us to make him a parts list so he can take his friends money and follow our directions, I don't feel too happy. I built my mining rig from scratch out of spare parts after researching the subject for several weeks.

You sir, can leave this thread before you taint it further, you have no knowledge in this matter at all, do you?

280X would be the best decision GPU wise, and probably against ASICs too as you have the choice to mine several different ASIC resistant currencies. 

I do have a lot of knowledge in this matter. I'm a hacker, crypto is like half of my domain. I understand it enough to know that it's way too late to expect an ROI with mining rigs in a reasonable amount of time and it would do him much better to invest that $4500 in Bitcoins if he's really this into it.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

What? 10 290xs? They are $700 each.

EDIT: The cheapest is $499.99

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

You can find 10 of those?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

You can find 10 of those?

Yes, right there is 5 and that's just a buy it now, you can find them cheaper on auctions. Just give it up before you embarrass yourself further. 

You are free, act like it~Warfairy. Moar guns. B) #3Dprinting

I do understand mining. I understand price to performance as well. However when someone comes to a thread asking for us to make him a parts list so he can take his friends money and follow our directions, I don't feel too happy. I built my mining rig from scratch out of spare parts after researching the subject for several weeks.

I'm not trying to swindle him, by any means... I own and operate a completely legitimate business and he is contracting my services, and I am doing my own research as well as asking the help of what I assume are experts on this forum and a couple of other forums to confirm my research or find something better than I, John has no parts laying around, and calling him a friend in all honesty is a bit of a long shot, we just went to high school together we were never best friends he was simply in a couple of my classes... If you don't feel so happy please just leave this thread; I won't blame you at all. 

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

Yes, right there is 5 and that's just a buy it now, you can find them cheaper on auctions. Just give it up before you embarrass yourself further. 

Well I personally have only bought CPUs and sealed RAM from eBay, because there is little you can do to them to make them still function but not as well. Especially with something like a mining rig where it's going to be on 24/7 I'd almost want server grade parts. Not GPUs obviously, but ECC RAM and CPUs and such.

I'm not trying to swindle him, by any means... I own and operate a completely legitimate business and he is contracting my services, and I am doing my own research as well as asking the help of what I assume are experts on this forum and a couple of other forums to confirm my research or find something better than I, John has no parts laying around, and calling him a friend in all honesty is a bit of a long shot, we just went to high school together we were never best friends he was simply in a couple of my classes... If you don't feel so happy please just leave this thread; I won't blame you at all. 

AMD cards are the best. Don't get used ones, buy a bunch of new 280Xs and hook them up to one of the mining boards. I'd suggest running Arch Linux or Parabola with a very minimal customization to make it take up as few resources as possible, i.e. no GUI, smallest kernel possible, etc. Make scripts so that the miner is preset with the best settings for the 280Xs and then make it so that they run at every startup. Test rigorously. Running without a GUI will mean that it needs to be very stable so you don't want Windows and you want as few parts running as possible. The ideal would be flick the power switch, boot up, start mining, without any human interaction. Even then, you're still probably better off with one of these http://www.minersbox.com/index.php/products. The cheapest one is around $4000. Use the $500 to make him a machine specifically for hosting his wallet.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Buy this case: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ZUZD2K/?tag=pcpapi-20

Flip it on its side, and just grow pot in it.  Probably much higher rate of return.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

I'm seeing links to all sorts of bitcoin miners here, and advice about not mining at all, and I'm worried the OP might actually be swayed into buying one of those, or not get involved at all. My advice is, is you're looking to mine, buy scrypt asics...you have a much easier chance of fulfilling ROI than on bitcoin (which you'll truly never ROI on unless BTC prices go up). My real advice though would just be to put your money directly into bitcoin itself, and if you feel inclined to, some promising alt coins (not the pump and dump day trade kind) which I'd be happy to talk about with you. Mining scrypt or investing directly into bitcoin is going to be your best bet on making ROI, and not making yourself and cryptos seem stupid to your buddies. Some background on myself: I started with 1x 7950 mining in feburary (of which you can find my noob posts) and 2x the money of my 7950 in 1 month by trading the right things. Over the last couple months, I've put considerably more money into the crypto-scene, and made out very well by picking long term promising coins of which i bought and mined, so I'm no amateur in the crypto scene. Hope this short spiel helps you make the right investments regarding cryptos.  

One 7950s' all I need...

Don't be /that/ guy and create another spike in Radeons. Mining with GPUs is dead anyway. It's tons of wasted electricity and heat more than anything.

Just grab some of these if you still wish to mine a non scrypt coin. http://www.amazon.com/BITMAIN-ANTMINER-U2-Bitcoin-Overclockable/dp/B00ITD5NV6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Don't be /that/ guy and create another spike in Radeons. Mining with GPUs is dead anyway. It's tons of wasted electricity and heat more than anything.

Just grab some of these if you still wish to mine a non scrypt coin. http://www.amazon.com/BITMAIN-ANTMINER-U2-Bitcoin-Overclockable/dp/B00ITD5NV6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Don't be the bitter noob who recommends 2GH usb sticks.

You are free, act like it~Warfairy. Moar guns. B) #3Dprinting

Don't be the bitter noob who recommends 2GH usb sticks.

As opposed to the delusional nub that thinks lots of graphics cards burning up power = free money? ;)

I didn't mean teach the OP a lesson, I meant teach his friend who doesn't really seem to understand cryptocurrency enough to realize this is a bad idea.

I do have a lot of knowledge in this matter. I'm a hacker, crypto is like half of my domain. I understand it enough to know that it's way too late to expect an ROI with mining rigs in a reasonable amount of time and it would do him much better to invest that $4500 in Bitcoins if he's really this into it.

You built a mining rig yourself and you're a hacker? You must really want an internet cookie.

Suggesting R9 295X2 is dumb. Purely dumb. Yes, it gives the most performance per PCI-E lane, but it costs SOOO much more than a 290(X).