EU regulation. Now stores can sell only Power Supplies with 80+ bronze as minimum

WereCat

You guys are only seeing the benefits and none of the backdraws to this.

Let's for argument's sake the rest of the world followed the EU in this.

The components in power supplies are bought from factories. The same production line that made an A+ capacitor (example) can produce a C grade capacitor. They get put in different bins and put in different products. For some of these factories, they will not only have to sell all their A+, A and A- stuff to stay in business, they have to sell all of it down to a minimum level.

What then, will this factory do, when only their best yields are allowed sold in a huge portion of the market?

It will be forced to fight back with raised prices on your precious 80+ Bronze and better capable components, meaning your end product will be more expensive, and all the C grade and below gets partly salvaged for materials, and partly dumped/ destroyed.

Even if they could sell these non-qualified PSUs in 3rd world countries, that creates an entirely different problem where they will be forced to withhold the best PSUs from these countries, the very countries that most need to be energy efficient, and dump the crap ones on them - creating an elitist rift.

This is honestly a pathetic suggestion, scraping the surface and not considering the bigger picture. Tons of factories will shut down, the product will get more expensive, poor countries gets left with the junk and pollution.

This may sound very Norwegian of me; but fuck the EU.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Exactly.The EU has been a pretty bad concept.Maybe not for some countries,but definitely for others.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

The components in power supplies are bought from factories. The same production line that made an A+ capacitor (example) can produce a C grade capacitor. They get put in different bins and put in different products. For some of these factories, they will not only have to sell all their A+, A and A- stuff to stay in business, they have to sell all of it down to a minimum level.

What then, will this factory do, when only their best yields are allowed sold in a huge portion of the market?

It will be forced to fight back with raised prices on your precious 80+ Bronze and better capable components, meaning your end product will be more expensive, and all the C grade and below gets partly salvaged for materials, and partly dumped/ destroyed.

Even if they could sell these non-qualified PSUs in 3rd world countries, that creates an entirely different problem where they will be forced to withhold the best PSUs from these countries, the very countries that most need to be energy efficient, and dump the crap ones on them - creating an elitist rift.

This is honestly a pathetic suggestion, scraping the surface and not considering the bigger picture. Tons of factories will shut down, the product will get more expensive, poor countries gets left with the junk and pollution.

None of that changes that an educated population would stay away from anything below 80+ anyway. I don't see Corsair having to sell below 80+ PSU's to stay in business, and tons of factories would not shut down, most of the parts you mentioned can be used elsewhere. The entire world doesn't revolve around a power supply. Wait...

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

They only did this to make people buy things more energy efficient. Not because they care.

While this is neat there is a problem. It is entirely possible to lie about 80+ support. 80+ does not go after companies that lie about certification nor does this prevent shit quality PSUs from being sent to market. PSU manus already cherry pick units to send to 80+ and it wouldn't be that hard to change a couple parts in a unit and send it to 80+ while sending the much cheaper and crappier version to market. This is going to need some serious enforcement and a ton of monitoring. On the other hand if more countries adopt this maybe it will lead to the death of OEMs like Deer.

You guys may be forgetting another thing: This will mean the end of companies like Dell, HP and so from selling prebuilt systems with shit PSUs in the EU. PSUs are something those companies have a tendency to skimp out on...

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

really? hmm i saw some without that info on alternate a while back, altough they lack more info wich is could be usefull.

at alternate 9 out of 10 times it's on the product picture, but some times it's not and you need to check the discription or specs

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

That's good, usually regulations from the EU pushes manufacturers to meet the standards if they want to sell worldwide.

The same thing happened with lead-free solder (yeah it's weak but it's not deadly at least)

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

Where I work we've never sold a PSU to a customer without an 80+ rating, however some of the builds we do (mainly the £250 value crap PC) don't. 

A lot of people see 600W as 600W and £15 as a better value than £50. 

:P

Good 

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

And simply educating everybody about how capacitors and voltage regulation modules work would not have the same effect (for much more effort though)?

The crap PSUs are not only inefficient in power conversion, some of them are downright dangerous. A good power supply will not destroy all of your components if it dies and will not set fire to your house. It will be able to cope with brown-outs and power surges without making a fuss. The ripple from a bad AC to DC conversion can be enough to kill a processor or graphics card.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

aw gooooooooooood.. here in EU there are tons of ghosts psu like 920w 1200w .. and obviously cheap as f**k.. under 70euros.. but the thing is that they ran out in few months + u get no waranty lol.. happened to me u.u

If bought it from a shop/directly from the vendor and it was brand new it's illegal to not provide a warrenty below 6 months in the EU I think. I know it is in the UK but I'm semi-sure it's the whole EU.

uwat? If the price has to go up so people don't buy bad products then so be it.

Elitism are you cereal right now? Already you don't see nearly as much high end stuff in developing countries for practical reasons. If their is less of a market in x place then it will be sold to y place which has a bigger market. The lower end products that don't meet the regulations specification will most likely be sold at a cheaper rate as they have less options to sell it so actually, it's probably a good thing for developing countries. I highly doubt any factory will shut down from this, prices will inflate to compensate for this and I highly doubt growth will be stunted by the price increase.

The only bad thing apart from the price (I'd only think a PSU would go up by like 10% in price max) is the OEMs like Dell as the cost will just be shifted onto the buyer and I've never heard of an OEM builds power supply dying before. As long as they are reasonable power supplies pre-builts should be allowed to have one if they meet x criteria. I.e. a £250 PC could be pretty meh but if it was a £500 PC then it'd have to less meh.