HummingBoard is a Raspberry Pi rival that lets you swap out its processor

Dietrichw

Source

HummingBoard

hb1.jpg

You'd think the world of hobbyist mini computers would be full, considering that you've got a choice of Arudino, Raspberry Pi, Beaglebone and even Intel's NUC. That hasn't deterred SolidRun, which is releasing the HummingBoard as a more powerful alternative to the Raspberry Pi. Built on the same platform, the HummingBoard promises faster silicon (1GHz ARM v7 vs. 700MHz ARM v6)

It also lets you switch out the CPU and memory module, should you need some more grunt further down the road. The base unit with 512MB RAM will set you back $45 plus $10 for a power adapter, while the top-spec model with 1GB RAM and a faster chip is priced at $100.

Getting more choices and more powerful ones is always good, but nothing can beat the Pi's price. Seems pretty cool though.

i'm a potato

Aww no Snapdragon 801 option

The real thing about Raspberry Pi, and the only reason I actually consider one sometimes, is the support. There's just so much community and dev support for it. However if I just need a tiny PC-on-a-board thing like the Pi or HummingBoard to use for what I'd use it for, I'd rather go and get one of those eBay Android HDMI sticks. $55 can get you a quad-core RK3188, 2GB RAM, decent IO, and a familiar OS.

"Rawr XD"

raspberry pi needed updates because it became irrelevant to users, pretty sure makers would need faster raspberries too.  :lol:

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Can we put a Tegra K1 in it?

it will melt dude

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

a lot of these hobbyists use Freescale socs which is awesome because these socs use open source GPU drivers (Vivante GPU)

the Vivante is full featured with Direct 3D and OpenGL 3.0/2.1 OpenVG 1.1  OpenGL ES 1.1 OpenCL 1.2

this is what Raspberry pi should have been not an insanely slow ARM 11 with a GPU that cant pretty much do anything else

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

CubieBoard 2 has the same specs plus sata, and costs less ;)

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

Sounds awesome. I still haven't done anything Pi related yet though.

it will melt dude

Take the heatsink off a graphics card like an FX 5200 or a chipset heatsink from a low-budget motherboard (one of those small aluminium blocks with fins) and stick it on the chip with some thermal paste :)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Wow it's very cool. I am going to make ambilight for my tv and monitor based on raspberry pi. when i will have 50$ for pi and some other stuff. 

raspberry pi is so cool. now this is even cooler :D

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

This is a pretty neat device. Would be pretty nice to see how good this chip is able to be overclocked with the help of a heatsink. :D

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Thanks for sharing this :)

Wow it's very cool. I am going to make ambilight for my tv and monitor based on raspberry pi. when i will have 50$ for pi and some other stuff. 

raspberry pi is so cool. now this is even cooler :D

whoah, when you do that, can you list what you use and make a thread on it? Id like to try this. please, please share how it goes!

whoah, when you do that, can you list what you use and make a thread on it? Id like to try this. please, please share how it goes!

Here you go! http://lightpack.tv/

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

ah. I was looking for the ghetto rasberry pi project, because LED strips are about 35-40$ if I amazoned(new word FTW) correctly. for a 70 inch tv, like what i watch movies on in my basment, its recommend 3 light packs. 

as in $300 D:

besides, my pi has been sitting out useless for a while. 

that being said, I wish there was a way to upgrade my pi