Xbox 360 Evil D-Pad by Evil Controllers

Nothing to see here, just your average Xbox 360 controller.........wait a second...

post-13-0-38475600-1368888760_thumb.jpg

It's the Evil D-Pad by Evil Controllers, a D-Pad that makes your Xbox 360 Controller's D-Pad 100% less terrible!

Now, before you all freak out, I use this controller on PC.   :P   Mainly for racing games and others where a keyboard and mouse setup is less effective.

Anyway, on to the review.

If you buy just the DIY faceplate kit, it comes with the modified faceplate, D-Pad buttons, dome-style analog sticks, and a little tool for removing your controller's screws.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KQINsyIOgc'>I won't go into detail about the installation, but here's a video.  It's a quick and easy process that doesn't tear up your controller at all.

So in short, this mod is awesome.

With the default Xbox 360 controller, I would always struggle with the awful disc-style D-Pad.  It's especially terrible in fighting games, where inputting the proper directional combinations for moves is nearly impossible.  This fixes all of that.  Each direction is an individual button, completely eliminating any ambiguity as to which direction you're pressing.

One example is Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, where the D-Pad is used to activate your Turbo, EMP, Spike Strip, and Signal Jammer, each assigned to a direction.  With the normal D-Pad sometimes I'd try to hit left to fire an EMP, but end up accidentally hitting up, activating Turbo, and careening into the nearest wall.   :lol:  This never happens to me with the Evil D-Pad.  When I press left, I know I'm pressing left.

It's also wonderful for classic games and side-scrollers.  Playing those with an analog stick is terrible, and with the 360 D-Pad it's even worse.  The Evil D-Pad makes playing classics much more fun.

My one gripe with it is that the buttons are spaced a bit far apart for my liking, so it's not quite as effective as a DualShock for more rapid input sequences.  But that's a consequence of where the sensors are on the controller PCB, so I can't really knock Evil Controllers for that.

Also, there are the analog sticks.  They're dome shaped, much like on the DualShock controllers, rather than indented like the default.  They're also slightly taller.  I really like them; the edge of the indent on the normal sticks would kind of dig into my thumb during long sessions.  These sticks are much more comfortable.  And it's a nice rubberized material so your thumbs don't slip off.  The additional height is a little weird at first, but when you get used to it, it offers much finer control than the default sticks.

So, in summary, the Evil D-Pad takes the Xbox 360 Controller's biggest flaw and fixes it with an elegant, simple solution.  One of the most comfy game controllers out there becomes one of the most versatile as well.

The kit comes in black, pink, blue, and red, and is available for $24.99 directly from Evil Controllers: http://www.evilcontrollers.com/products/xbox-360-controller-parts/evil-d-pad-face-plates.html

You can also order a controller with the mod already applied right from the website.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

I find the current D-Pad brilliant... No need for a change in my opinion.

Fractal Design Define R4 | Intel i7-4770K | Corsair H80i | Corsair SP120 PWM | MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro | MSI GTX770 GAMING | Samsung 840EVO 120GB | 2x WD Red 2TB | Corsair AX760 | Windows 8 Pro

Yeah me too, I guess I'm just used to the d-pad after all these years.

I find the current D-Pad brilliant... No need for a change in my opinion.

#!

this is cool but i also like the original d-pad. but that looks cool

CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 4.2GHz Quad-Core    CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid     Motherboard MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150   Memory Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600     Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" SSD     Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM    Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB   Case Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower   Power Supply Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V  Optical Drive none Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 ultimate

And how much does that cost!

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

Wow, I thought the disc d-pad was universally hated.  Looks like I was very wrong.   :lol:

I mean, it works okay if you maneuver it more like an analog stick than a traditional d-pad.  But to me using it for movement or other significant game mechanics just feels wrong...

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

• 2 weeks later...

Nice post but 25 dollars! I'll just 3d print my own for $1.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

also pipping in as someone without an issue.
Personally the Dpad is fine. it's very precise and fast, but then i don't slide my finger across it i lift my finger and probably falls more into muscle memory then anything else, still interesting product.

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

This looks nice, I currently use my controller for pokemmo only because that is just extremely akward with a keyboard. I also play Hot pursuit but I don't use it for that due to the dpad not being accurate enough, so i am very interested in this, but do you know where I can buy this kit in germany/europe?

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

Nice post but 25 dollars! I'll just 3d print my own for $1.

Do you have your own 3D printer? if so how much did it cost/the kit cost?

#!

Do you have your own 3D printer? if so how much did it cost/the kit cost?

I built mine for $500, no plans just built it by eyeing everything up and is pretty damn accurate. It uses the printer head from a Makerbot 2 because it has two heads and I was to lazy to build one myself. I did etch my own PCB's for the stepper motor controller etc. and used raspberry pi so i can just send the file to the printer from anywhere (talk about rapid prototyping) but you can use pre-built controllers. There's a ton of great tutorials over at HackaDay (http://hackaday.com/category/3d-printer-hacks/)

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

having started out with a 'megadrive/genesis' controller the D-pad on the xbox 360 pad is no where near as responsive as that but I'm not exactly comparing apples to apples there. I do think the xbox 360 controller (USB wired version) is one of the most comfortable pads for using with a PC out there. However I did have a ton of D-pad issues trying to select weapons in the 'Batman Arkham' games. So anything that makes it more accurate would be welcome from me.

When I used to play consoles I played Gears on a high level, D-Pad rarely caused me to make mistakes. I must say I would've prefered something like the Onza's button layout I don't like deadzones on my controller like to keep my movements and minimal and fluid as possible.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090