x64 and x86 WTF!

Wiff

Why is 32bit called x86, this doesnt make any sense?

x86 is actually just notation for a CPU instruction set which has been used in most modern day processors. x86 actually has three different subsets: x86-16 (16-bit), x86-32 (32-bit) and x86-64 (64-bit). 

The 32-bit version of x86 became so common that eventually the term "x86" by itself was known to be the 32-bit iteration. The newer 64-bit version can be referred to as it is above, but far more often is simply called "x64", which can understandably be confusing to someone who doesn't have a lot of knowledge concerning computer hardware, as it sounds like a step backwards! 

Because of this, the 32-bit versions of Windows is "x86", and the 64-bit version is "x64".

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

i copied that and pasted it into google and got the answer

above post is from the first search result

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Because the 8086 chip by Intel was 32 bit, while the 8080 was 16 I think. Hence x86.

I think. I'm tired.

because of 286,386,486?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I believe it goes all the way back to intel's line of x86 processors, such as the 8086.

thanks

x86 is actually just notation for a CPU instruction set which has been used in most modern day processors. x86 actually has three different subsets: x86-16 (16-bit), x86-32 (32-bit) and x86-64 (64-bit). 

The 32-bit version of x86 became so common that eventually the term "x86" by itself was known to be the 32-bit iteration. The newer 64-bit version can be referred to as it is above, but far more often is simply called "x64", which can understandably be confusing to someone who doesn't have a lot of knowledge concerning computer hardware, as it sounds like a step backwards! 

Because of this, the 32-bit versions of Windows is "x86", and the 64-bit version is "x64".

Actually x64 is the wrong notation. x64 means that the processor can ONLY run 64-bit programs.

The correct term is AMD64, which is an add-on component created by AMD for the x86 architecture.

So technically speaking it is:

> x86 for 32-bit CPU

> AMD64 or AMD64 for our 64-bit CPU that we use in our desktop and laptop computers

> x86-64 is something that Intel pushes, as they try to bury "AMD" name, despise licensing the technology from AMD. But if you look through the system files of Windows you'll clearly see a lot of folder or files with "AMD64" in them, even though you are using an Intel CPU, as this is the correct term.

We just tend to refer it incorrectly as x64. but we just simply say: "64-bit CPU"

I thought bit was technically IA-64, not x86-64.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I thought bit was technically IA-64, not x86-64.

AFAIK IA-64 is an Intel standard for 64bit that never caught on so they just used amd64. Not much software, and I don't know what hardware (but extremely little) supports it, so it's a dead standard.

(DISCLAIMER: I MAY BE WRONG)

HTTP/2 203

AFAIK IA-64 is an Intel standard for 64bit that never caught on so they just used amd64. Not much software, and I don't know what hardware (but extremely little) supports it, so it's a dead standard.

(DISCLAIMER: I MAY BE WRONG)

So even Intel uses amd64?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

So even Intel uses amd64?

Correct. AMD pays for the x86 architecture license from Intel, and Intel licenses the AMD64  from AMD. Fun :)

Correct. AMD pays for the x86 architecture license from Intel, and Intel licenses the AMD64  from AMD. Fun :)

Wow, competitors sharing each other's technology. How sweet.  :wub:

Wow, competitors sharing each other's technology. How sweet.  :wub:

Well not really. Intel has no choice to give rights to AMD, else Intel has the monopoly, and that means that Intel won't be able to sell their product anywhere else beside the U.S, as all other countries have an anti-monopoly law.

The same for when Microsoft saved Apple from shutting down back in 1997. Especially back then, where Android didn't exists, and Linux based OS market-share where even smaller, where I don't think anyone would have bought Microsoft saying "technically we are not a monopoly".