Project Christine might actually be happening

Oshino Shinobu

A while ago, we heard that Razer was working on something called Project Christine, a modular computer where components can be swapped out by just unplugging a module and putting in a new one. (admittedly, not unlike a normal computer) 

Shortly after it was announced, it was almost completely disregarded by everyone, as Razer had serious issues getting third party support, among other things. However, it seems like it might actually be a realistic thing. Razer have said that they've had serious talks with manufacturers and that they plan to have 3 OEM partners on by the end of the year. 

Although I'm interested to see what comes of this, I still have the feeling that it's either gong to be very expensive, or is just going to have such a lack of support and variation that it only fits people with very specific usage. 

razer_project_christine_41.jpg

Source: http://www.kitguru.net/desktop-pc/anton-shilov/razers-project-christine-modular-pc-may-materialize-later-this-year/

I saw this like 30 minutes ago on facebook!

I think it will be cool. If people who aren't familiar with PCs want one that will be easily upgradeable, this will be great for said people.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

so freaking good looking 

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

I think it will be cool. If people who aren't familiar with PCs want one that will be easily upgradeable, this will be great for said people.

It'a supposed to be silent, completely mineral oil cooled. Could be good for some people, but I don't think enthusiasts will like it too much, unless it's open to mods and such. 

I like the concept but I'm not sure I like it...if that makes sense. Well, either way, it will be nice to see more of it. :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I doubt that it will sell well, but still a pretty cool idea

Song Of The Day: Nujabes - Battlecry

if razer is going to be licensing this, which i think they plan to do, it will be fricking expensive,

look at thunderbolt, its faster and because it isnt a rectangle like USB so that makes it its easier to use, but noone uses it because intel asks licensing fees...

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

They're not going to make truck loads of money out of Christine, but I will buy one. Nice conversation piece, if nothing else.

I understand if people want to get this as a fancy, unupgradeable desktop (a.k.a. the equivalent of an unprecedentedly powerful gaming laptop) but as a serious desktop with reasonable chances to get future updates? No, it's not going to happen: you don't just take into account gamers and enthusiasts when introducing a new form factor: the majority of desktops are still office computers, workstations and such so there's gotta be at least some semblance of practicality and interchangeability between high end parts, server stuff and entry level hardware pieces because even if the uses are completely different, the people making the parts are usually the same folks who just change a few features between server mobo, entry level mobo and gaming mobo.

-------

Current Rig

-------

It'a supposed to be silent, completely mineral oil cooled. Could be good for some people, but I don't think enthusiasts will like it too much, unless it's open to mods and such. 

They probably meant to say "very quiet" because even mineral oil needs to move.

Error: 410

It is going to be very, very expensive. Too bad though.

I understand if people want to get this as a fancy, unupgradeable desktop (a.k.a. the equivalent of an unprecedentedly powerful gaming laptop) but as a serious desktop with reasonable chances to get future updates? No, it's not going to happen: you don't just take into account gamers and enthusiasts when introducing a new form factor: the majority of desktops are still office computers, workstations and such so there's gotta be at least some semblance of practicality and interchangeability between high end parts, server stuff and entry level hardware pieces because even if the uses are completely different, the people making the parts are usually the same folks who just change a few features between server mobo, entry level mobo and gaming mobo.

I think it's a very niche market, but it will depend on how they make it. It would be cool to be able to swap out components on the fly. So if you're a serious poweruser, you could use one GPU module for gaming, then swap it out for a Quadro or something when you need to work, all without turning off the PC.  

I've always been interested in the product, but not sure if it'll catch on...  One cool thing (no pun intended) is that all parts connect to a central liquid-cooling loop.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

$5000 for a i5 and 760 later...

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I don't think so. If they don't want to upgrade it, and aren't familiar with PC's, I doubt they'd want to pay what Razer will ask.

Especially since it's liquid cooled.

While I do agree with a lot of what you said...look at Razer as a company. Pretty much their only focus is gamers and enthusiasts, so that's who they cater to.

Because of this I could see it working. Not in huge volumes, but enough to profit.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

While I do agree with a lot of what you said...look at Razer as a company. Pretty much their only focus is gamers and enthusiasts, so that's who they cater to.

Because of this I could see it working. Not in huge volumes, but enough to profit.

I think it's a very niche market, but it will depend on how they make it. It would be cool to be able to swap out components on the fly. So if you're a serious poweruser, you could use one GPU module for gaming, then swap it out for a Quadro or something when you need to work, all without turning off the PC.

To give you both a further example: the exact same interface you use for gaming GPUs you can use for workstation cards, PCI express. Hard drives often vary in the chips and all but not in the interface: sata, m.2 now, etc. Sometimes there's even some interoperability between sockets too: a typically consumer oriented platform like 1150 might be used for some workstations and low capacity servers for small businesses for example, but the basic tech is exactly the same. This helps keep costs down, so yeah my guess is that the other people here are actually not too far off when they say that they can expect a tremendous price premium, even beyond that of a water cooled GPU so like a thousand bucks for a simple 780 wouldn't surprise me and that's even a bit conservative.

So no, sorry to say but not even power users will adopt this quickly enough to make any sort of sustainable business plan. Yes there is an enthusiasts market but that market is highly dependable of all sorts of other markets behind the scenes where production happens.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I hope this becomes a thing and they sort cooling out (you can't cool a 295x2 in those modules lol).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Now my non-techie family can finally build their own PC. Let's hope the price doesn't kill our vibes.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I hope this becomes a thing and they sort cooling out (you can't cool a 295x2 in those modules lol).

Actually you might: this is a mineral oil rig so it should be able to perform as good as a liquid cooling set up. But a hell of a lot more expensive obviously not only cause it's mineral oil but because it's a new form factor and all that implies

-------

Current Rig

-------

Mineral oil? Damn.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

To give you both a further example: the exact same interface you use for gaming GPUs you can use for workstation cards, PCI express. Hard drives often vary in the chips and all but not in the interface: sata, m.2 now, etc. Sometimes there's even some interoperability between sockets too: a typically consumer oriented platform like 1150 might be used for some workstations and low capacity servers for small businesses for example, but the basic tech is exactly the same. This helps keep costs down, so yeah my guess is that the other people here are actually not too far off when they say that they can expect a tremendous price premium, even beyond that of a water cooled GPU so like a thousand bucks for a simple 780 wouldn't surprise me and that's even a bit conservative.

So no, sorry to say but not even power users will adopt this quickly enough to make any sort of sustainable business plan. Yes there is an enthusiasts market but that market is highly dependable of all sorts of other markets behind the scenes where production happens.

I haven't done alot of research into this thing but I think its safe to say if its able to have a good start it will most likely have a consumer base for at least the first year. That's the trend I see with these unnecessary but interesting tech products.

If Razer does it right, they might actually have a place in the market with this. Though I personally see this falling flat on its face and going into the trash can.  

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Actually you might: this is a mineral oil rig so it should be able to perform as good as a liquid cooling set up. But a hell of a lot more expensive obviously not only cause it's mineral oil but because it's a new form factor and all that implies

Oh I didn't know that! I thought the showpiece has mobile parts with low profile cooling, but if it's mineral oil it's a different thing entirely :) mineral oil is the future b) (if they can start making graphics cards with mineral oil all in one coolers I'll be the first the get them xD imagine, a glass rectangle with inside the pcb immersed in mineral oil and liquidproof outputs on the back, with the pcie connector sticking out from the ermetic glass)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

While I would never get one of these, I love the innovating that Razer has been doing lately. They seem to really care about pushing PC gaming to the mainstream.