Project Christine might actually be happening

Oshino Shinobu

Not going to buy one, but I'd love to see it happen.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

Don't think I'd buy once since it's obviously going to be stupid expensive, but if I had the money....

This is such a stupid idea for so many reasons. 

I loathe people who attempt to re-invent the wheel for literally no good reason. I keep trying to find a purpose for this, but everything seems to come up void.

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

I loathe people who attempt to re-invent the wheel for literally no good reason.

List your reasons?

List your reasons?

Okay then. 

1) It depends entirely on 3rd party manufacturers inventing new products to associate with it for it to function. What kind of motherboard will it use, for example? It's like jeremy clarkson's tiny car that relied upon train manufacturers redesigning their carriages to be empty in order for the car to be a commercial success. It relies on other companies designing and building products expressely for this single product with no alterior uses.

2) No computer chipset or software is based entirely - 100% - on pcie 3.0 (pcie 3.0 -connected cpu for example? there's clearly a "cpu" bay in the picture. I've never heard of that) and thus at the very core of its premise, the effectiveness of the design philosiphy is debatable. PCIE-3.0 ssd's are currently not as easy to implement as sata3 drives for example. Again, this relies on things that will need to arrive in the future to work properly

3) How can components be hot-swapped if they are submerged in mineral-oil? I fail to see how this can be a "quick & easy" method of replacing various components. Then, all that mineral oil will need to be circulated and cooled and that would require coolant-lines for a radiator going into each "hot-swap bay", again furthering the concept that it would be difficult to hot-swap.

4) Let's take for granted that it isn't easy to hot-swap components. What is the exact benefit of this design other than aesthetics? From what I can see, there is no clear benefit to using this case, other than the way it looks. It doesn't offer any features that aren't present in current desktop form factors.

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

I loathe people who attempt to re-invent the wheel for literally no good reason. I keep trying to find a purpose for this, but everything seems to come up void.

You hate that Razer is going right after the "PCs are too difficult to maintain" mentality by coming up with a setup that is literally plug and play? 

I can see this kind of setup, especially when it can leverage economies of scale to lower costs, being very welcome by many people.

I mean hell, you tell me I can have THAT design, with a 4670k and a 770 and have it all mineral cooled, just sitting there on my desk like a hunk of art? I'll do it. Its an asthetic thing more than anything.

You are getting pissy that Razer is trying to do something new? 

Why don't we all go back to cases that are riveted together and get rid of mechanical keyboards and laser sensors too. Lets just go back to the days where the first wheel worked.

Guess what genius, even the wheel has been reinvented many times over the years to be better and cheaper. 

If you want to be a peasant sitting in the past, go ahead. Don't get mad at others for at least trying new avenues.

Snip

I love you.

No homo.

I feel like the people saying this is going to be expensive don't get it.

Of course its going to be expensive you dingus. This could change the way we see PC's. Just think about a PC being able to come together as easy as this.

I wouldn't buy one, this is merely just a concept that has the potential to inspire change to how PC's are built.

The ease of upgrading sounds intriguing, but ultimately, price, performance, and desk space will determine my interest here. Probably as an office comp if it works well and doesn't command a P2P ratio similar to Apple's crap.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

It'll be more of a niche product than an industry standard. 

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Ths product would take all the fun out of building your own PC; furthermore, it's Razer, whom I wouldn't trust to give me the time of day.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

Ths product would take all the fun out of building your own PC; furthermore, it's Razer, whom I wouldn't trust to give me the time of day.

Well, Razer aren't going to be making the majority actual components, they'll be relying on other manufacturers for that. They'd have to make it good quality if they want it to gain traction. 

I agree that it will take away the amount of variety that you have when building a custom PC, but it's not aimed at those sort of people anyway. 

That's weird, I read an article from Extreme Tech a few days ago (http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/185484-razers-modular-project-christine-foundering-on-the-shoals-of-low-oem-interest) Saying that this is unlikely to happen. I guess they just don't like Razer then...

My PC:

4670k      GTX 760 ACX      CoolerMaster Hyper 412s      Fractal Design Node 804      G1 Sniper M5      Corsair RM 650      WD Red 1TB     Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

This is mostly being targeted at the "I'm too afraid to open up my computer/someone else just do it for me" demographic. Which is a surprisingly huge demographic. You have no idea how many people I know who have prebuilt computers that would rather just buy another one instead of upgrading the one they have. Sure to use changing out RAM or a GPU is no biggie. But to some people it's like trying to defuse a bomb and they are afraid they will break something or buy incompatible parts. And that's why I think this will work to a small degree. It obviously won't be huge but I think it will be worth razers investment. Telling people "Hey buy this system and any time you want it to go faster and you have to unplug your old GPU 1000 just plug in the GPU 2000 and your computer will go faster." Is a very very compelling proposition to some people. 

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

Now that's cool. I mean, sure, it'll be insanely expensive, but still cool none the less.

COMIC SANS