Why do people drink?

Cs342

Yesterday my friends dragged me to a bar. I couldn't help but notice how everyone around me was acting like a complete idiot. I felt quite uncomfortable and after I went home I tried to think of reasons why people would consume alcohol on purpose but couldn't come up with a reasonable answer. Thoughts? Or am I the only one here who doesn't think drinking is that cool lol

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

After some problems with a drunk guy yesterday i wondered the  same thing.. Some people just shouldn't drink 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I do drink on occasion, but as soon as I get to the point where I feel like I'm going to start acting like an idiot, I stop.  I just don't like the feeling after a certain point because it's not me.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

To relax i believe.

I wonder that too. As I don't drink at all. I really just dislike the taste and smell of alcohol. I prefer bottle water or Aussie made juice.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

i understand moderation but its easily abused

if i HAD to choose one "drug" to be legal i rather choose marijuana

personally i would choose neither 

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I drink a lot and often. I quite enjoy the feeling. Drinking is also an important aspect to many social events like BBQ's, tailgating, etc. It's kind of a cultural thing. 

Intel i7-7770K | Asus Maximus X Hero  | EVGA GTX980 SuperClocked | 16GB Memory| Samsung 960 EVO M.2 | Corsair RM 750W | Dell 27" S2716DG main display | Dual Dell ST2320L 23" Secondary displays | Windows 10

Logitech G710+ Keyboard | Logitech G502 mouse | Kingston HyperX Cloud headset | Corsair H100i 

I don't know how people can afford it over here in the UK, the prices are ridiculous and still increasing 

There are many reasons why people drink. Some of them have already been covered. I would also add  that people drink to escape reality for a time. Feeling crappy about yourself, your job, your wife, your financial situation etc etc. Well for a short duration people can numb themselves to their day to day realities. I am NOT saying that I recommend this approach to life's challenges rather I am saying that some people choose to.

I like drinking beer. I like trying as many news ones as I can. I choose to drink a few beers on the weekend and I find it relaxing. I am not getting rekt rather I am exploring the different tastes and smells of beers from around the world.  

I am still under age,i guess its not time for me to under stand yet  ;)

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

I don't know how people can afford it over here in the UK, the prices are ridiculous and still increasing 

It's the same here in sweden. A bottle of good japanese wiskey will set me back 60$. And that's a pretty common price for anything that isn't light beer

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

To get drunk

Can't really explain, but I drink myself.

And yes, I also get drunk, I find it relaxing.

But not to the point of ridiculousness, if somebody has a problem with that, let them.

Some people can't ... let loose normally, so it allows people to become more confident and find jokes which are absolutely not funny ... funny.

Now I do drink once every 3-4 months and I do get quite ... drunk, but never to the point in which I can not think rationally ... I do however become a flirty twat when I'm drunk :lol: and I usually pull well over my average xD

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

I don't drink, but...

Why it doesn't relax me?

You aren't drinking enough.  :P Alcohol is a depressant, slowing heart rate, reaction time, and relaxing the muscles.

I should be studying.

As someone who has woken up in a hospital the morning after a party, I guess part of it is to be social.. It does have a relaxing effect and it seems to allow for someone like me (very introverted with absolutely no self-confidence) to be more talkative and social, even with complete strangers who I would have otherwise never talked to..

Oh, and I can wreck noobs at Goldeneye 007 (N64) when I'm super drunk...

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Son, never trust a man who doesn't drink because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

I can't trust a man who doesn't drink, because a man who doesn't drink doesn't trust himself.

Some people take these kinds of words to heart. I went through drinking pretty fast. "Woo, let's get drunk!" quickly turned into "You can get drunk, I'll just enjoy my one craft brew." Didn't take long for that to end up "This experience is not worth my money."

The same reason some people like women with wide hips, deep dish pizzas, Nissan GTRs, cats, really femme looking men, hats, tattoos, (you see where this is going) - they just do.

I ask myself the same question a lot.

Don't get me wrong: I have no problem with alcoholic beverages, but I don't see the point in getting drunk. 

If I am in the mood for something with alcohol (which is not often), it's because it tastes good, and I stop way before I have a chance to get drunk or even tipsy.

I live my life differently than you. It's neither good nor bad, it just is.

I drink because it tastes good and helps take the edge off from a hard day at work, or because it's easier to be more social with people.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

The same reason some people like women with wide hips, deep dish pizzas, Nissan GTRs, cats, really femme looking men, hats, tattoos, (you see where this is going) - they just do.

Wide hips one makes sense really, fertility link?

I certainly feel a little more relaxed after a cider or two, just enough to be able to stop caring about my stresses.

Also, I think we all take ourselves far too seriously sometimes, so just acting the clown a bit every once in a while is a nice stress relief.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO