How do we tech enthusiasts feel about guns?

I was ready to pose a question about a RAID array in my pc, but decided to throw something REALLY off topic here in the general discussion.

Gun control seemed to become a very sensationalized topic over the past few years in regard to some violent gun related incidents that has blown up in the media. Which led to compelling essays, articles, speeches and so on about the issue. Questions like, "Should citizens have legal access to firearms?" and "Do people really need automatic weapons?" seemed to be the trending topics starting off college in the Fall 2013 semester. 

We can all generally point a finger at a certain group of people, institution or faction (Liberals, Republicans, etc..) and assume their opinion on the matter.

But I do consider the tech community a very specific demographic, and am curious as to how the tech community feels about the subject as a whole. Would we all generally share a mutual way of thinking? Is it be mixed? Let me know!

I'm completely against them.

Exhibit A:

What I have to say in a song about guns

x2 (All I really want is something beautiful to say)

Keep me locked up in your broken mind
I keep searching, never been able to find a light behind your dead eyes
Not anything at all
You keep living in your own lie
Ever deceitful & ever unfaithful
Keep me guessing, keep me terrified
Take everything from my world

(Chorus)
I say can you help me right before the fall?
Take what you can and leave me to the wolves

Keep me dumb, keep me paralyzed
Why try swimming? I'm drowning in fable
You're not that saint that you externalize
You're not anything at all
It's all so playful when you demonize
To spit out the hateful, you're willing and able
You're words are weapons of the terrified
You're nothing in my world

(Chorus)

All I really want is something beautiful to say
To never fade away, I wanna live forever

(Chorus)

Words are weapons of the terrified
(x2) All I really want is something beautiful to say

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

There needs to be more options, I'm pro gun control but don't want to go as far as to ban all of them.

You should be against the people in this situation, like the guy with the gun floating in his gym shorts, not against guns entirely because of one incident. 

This has only been discussed over 9000 times.

You should be against the people in this situation, like the guy with the gun floating in his gym shorts, not against guns entirely because of one incident. 

It's impossible to eliminate stupid people from the gene pool, it's possible to control their access to things they can kill people with using their stupididty.

It's impossible to eliminate stupod people from the gene pool, it's possible to control their access to things they can kill people with using their stupididty.

Agreed

stoop'd

I don't have a problem with guns, but I feel that guns should be more restricted and less easy to get. Mental health evaluations should be mandated every 3 years. Too many jackasses with guns.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I don't have a problem with guns, but I feel that guns should be more restricted and less easy to get. Mental health evaluations should be mandated every 3 years. Too many jackasses with guns.

this^^ like, banning guns wont do shit but make it easier to be a criminal lol but seriously theres to many mentally ill people with guns :S

Just do what we do in the U.K. Ban them. No guns, no gun crime.

since when do criminals follow laws? .....

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

There are too many people in this world that want to feel hard with a gun. There are too many people that carry guns so that if they feel threatened, they can wave it around to scare people (hiding behind the gun). Humanity is not mature enough to handle guns.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

this^^ like, banning guns wont do shit but make it easier to be a criminal lol but seriously theres to many mentally ill people with guns :S

since when do criminals follow laws? .....

They don't, but if there are no guns period there is no access to guns.

And suffer an increase in crimes caused by substitute weapons, like Knives! We love our knives! And the best thing about it, there's no way to defend yourself from one unless you know how to fight against them, otherwise you're running.

DISCIPLE OF HIS HOLINESS, GABEN FIRST OF HIS NAME FOR NOW AND THE END OF TIME

STEAM - Brendson | ORIGIN - LGBrendson | BATTLE.NET - Brendson#2793

PLACES TO FOLLOW ME - Pastebin

They don't, but if there are no guns period there is no access to guns.

heard of the black market? you can just make all the guns in the country suddenly disappear, people will smuggle them in, hide them, etc etc

Well if there are no guns in the first place you don't have to worry about it.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

More guns aren't the answer, it has been shown time and time again that the during a robbery or other violent situation where guns are in the hands of evil people, if a good guy has a gun it often leads to the good guy accidentally shooting an innocent person.

This is something that 'gun rights' advocates often overlook!

Organizations like the NRA who promote this slobbering love affair with guns don't give a shit about people getting killed by them, all they care about is the political power that they have and the money that stems from it.

I think people have a right to defend themselves, but people that have guns because they feel that 'uncle sam is gon come n take mah guns so I better arm myself to the teeth' shouldn't have guns because it's for the wrong reason.

A well regulated militia is not a bunch of racist Bundy ranch supporters resisting the so called tyranny of the government, that is domestic terrorism and should be treated as such, but they're white so it's apparently ok...

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

banning guns will help no one. if a criminal wants to get a gun, then they will find a way to get one. all that would do is make it easy for criminals.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

As a general tech enthusiast I feel that guns are a really interesting piece of technology. Some of their uses aren't though.

Tbh I'm not sure how to feel about entirely banning them. I know an old guy who loves the occasional shooting session, should we take away one of his hobbies on his old age? Off there are good argument about banning them. It's really not clear for me.

Wtf phone, now you're formatting post oddly.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

More guns aren't the answer, it has been shown time and time again that the during a robbery or other violent situation where guns are in the hands of evil people, if a good guy has a gun it often leads to the good guy accidentally shooting an innocent person.

Organizations like the NRA who promote this slobbering love affair with guns don't give a shit about people getting killed by them, all they care about is the political power that they have and the money that stems from it.

I think people have a right to defend themselves, but people that have guns because they feel that 'uncle sam is gon come n take mah guns so I better arm myself to the teeth' shouldn't have guns because it's for the wrong reason.

A well regulated militia is not a bunch of racist Bundy ranch supporters resisting the so called tyranny of the government, that is domestic terrorism and should be treated as such, but they're white so it's apparently ok...

i never said there should be more guns :P but yes i agree, those who have them for the wrong reason shouldnt have them

Exhibit A:

What I have to say in a song about guns

x2 (All I really want is something beautiful to say)

Keep me locked up in your broken mind

I keep searching, never been able to find a light behind your dead eyes

Not anything at all

Ever deceitful & ever unfaithful

Take everything from my world

(Chorus)

Keep me dumb, keep me paralyzed

Why try swimming? I'm drowning in fable

You're not that saint that you externalize

You're not anything at all

It's all so playful when you demonize

To spit out the hateful, you're willing and able

You're words are weapons of the terrified

You're nothing in my world

(Chorus)

(Chorus)

Words are weapons of the terrified

(x2) All I really want is something beautiful to say

Exhibit A is just an idiot with a gun. When you start blaming the object then you can start blaming car accidents on beer, misspelled words on pencils, and mistype words on the keyboard. It's not about the object but how and whom it is used by. 

There needs to be more options, I'm pro gun control but don't want to go as far as to ban all of them.

There does need to be more options. Responsible gun control is what everyone needs and wants but it is up to the end user to make that happen. The saying, "You can't fix stupid." still applies in lots of cases.

Chicago has a VERY strict set of laws about guns but Chicago still has a very high crime rate. Banning them simply keeps an honest man honest. It does not deter crimals from carrying and using them. 

banning guns will help no one. if a criminal wants to get a gun, then they will find a way to get one. all that would do is make it easy for criminals.

Many crimes committed with guns are stupid bullshit disputes done by people that can't wait to shoot someone. These morons grab for their weapon just because they want to kill someone not because they are in danger and need to defend themselves.

These sorts of situations are extremely prevalent in states like Florida with their "stand your ground laws".

So many people die because the 'good guy' had the gun...

Hail Sithis!

Exhibit A is just an idiot with a gun. When you start blaming the object then you can start blaming car accidents on beer, misspelled words on pencils, and mistype words on the keyboard. It's not about the object but how and whom it is used by. 

Do you honestly think Exhibit A is the only case?That was an example of many cases that are like that.There are way to many people in this world that are not mature enough to handle firearms.

An accident is just an accident. For every case of an accidentally shooting you can probably find more cases where the gun actually saves a persons life. Whether they be carried by Cops or civilians.

You seem to not know alot about the NRA. I would suggest you educate yourself before making statements such as that. The NRA is about allowing people to defend themselves and the freedom to bear arms as a right.