'Cardboard' is Google's attempt at an inexpensive VR headset

Dietrichw

Source

Google's page for it

81df0f12fe.gif

Even Google is getting in on the virtual reality game. At the end of the search giant's I/O 2014 keynote, Sundar Pichai announced that everyone in attendance would get a nondescript cardboard package, but was coy about its contents. Turns out, it's the firms' attempt at a do-it-yourself VR headset. The rub of it? You use a rubber-band to hold your smartphone in place on the front of the device. Assembly instructions, plans and links for where to source the needed parts (like lenses) are available on the project's website.

ummmm..... 

This is almost as bad as that Asus box a motherboard would come in that could be converted into a case.

Well it's not like it's a bad idea...but...I'm just curious how it will actually perform...especially when going up against the Rift and Project Morpheus...

'A' for effort?

COMIC SANS

Can they make cheaper cardboard Google Glass?

2500k 4.0ghz,GTX 1070 oc,MSI Z77A-GD55,G.SKILL Ripjaws(4 x 2GB)DDR3 1333,OCZ Arc 100 240gb,Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB,Corsair TX 750w v1,CoolerMaster HAF 912,Hyper 212 EVO

Budget cuts hit Google hard...

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

The redneck bogan in me just got an erection.  This is awesome.  VR for everyone.  up yours oculus, I got a weaties box and smartphone. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I'm really impressed, makes total sense if you think about it, the resolution on mobile phones is insane and the accelerometers and other sensors are insanely accurate.

Here's a video that was just posted showing it in more detail:

What on earth google.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Cardboard... box? CARDBOARD BOX!

imagination.gif

metal_gear_online_scene_1.jpg

e37431179a7ca3f474e5c288afd68a4312333011

tumblr_mosra4oeYC1rtu7q4o1_500.jpg

mgs.png

box-620x.jpg

v4KQ80r.jpg?1?4014

It's so beautiful...

341278-bigthumbnail.jpg

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

Is seriously thought this was a joke when I first saw this...

i wouldent pay more than $20 dollars and thats giving them the benefit of the doubt that the lenses are $7 each

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

well you know this is going to fold....

What on earth google.

*What on google earth

:ph34r:  i'm out