it it bad that i run at 80% memory?

First, i am not sure is this is the correct subforum because this is with my laptop, but i think this would be the best one. Is it bad that i almost always use 80% of my ram? my laptop has 4gb of ram, and i like to have around 10 tabs open at a time. cpu usage normally stays below 60%-70%, but ram usage is always high. do I need to get more ram? i restart my computer every 1-2 weeks.

time for a new Ram Kit

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

If you experience times when things run slowly then yes, adding more will increase performance because there will be a fair amount of data paged to the hard drive when the memory is getting full.

You could try setting the page file really small, or turn it off, then check performance and memory usage. If it goes higher, or performance increases, then maybe get 6 or 8 GB. If not, and you're not going over 80% then you're perfectly fine.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

First, i am not sure is this is the correct subforum because this is with my laptop, but i think this would be the best one. Is it bad that i almost always use 80% of my ram? my laptop has 4gb of ram, and i like to have around 10 tabs open at a time. cpu usage normally stays below 60%-70%, but ram usage is always high. do I need to get more ram?

It's normal, windows 7-8 uses a lot of ram and it's perfectly normal that it keeps 4gb at high loads. If you are noticing performance issues get another 4gb, you won't have any issues related to ram anymore for quite some time.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

No, for a couple of reasons. First is Superfetch, it's a Windows protocol that reserves RAM for programs it thinks you are going to run. You can Google how to disable it, but it's 100% unnecessary to do so. If you run any application that needs the RAM that Windows is reserving for something else that you are not running, Windows will simply free up that RAM and dedicate it to the active program that needs it.

The next reason is if you laptop only has 4GB of RAM, it likely doesn't have the CPU or GPU necessary to play high end game at high enough settings to need more RAM than you already have. Just be sure to not have 10 tabs and other programs running while playing those games.

Adding more RAM won't increase the performance or lifespan of your laptop, so you're better off not spending the money.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

If you experience times when things run slowly then yes, adding more will increase performance because there will be a fair amount of data paged to the hard drive when the memory is getting full.

You could try setting the page file really small, or turn it off, then check performance and memory usage. If it goes higher, or performance increases, then maybe get 6 or 8 GB. If not, and you're not going over 80% then you're perfectly fine.

ok, i normally stay around 75%, but it often gives me warnings that i need to close something or it will run out of ram. sidenote i restart my computer every 1-2 weeks, is that a problem?

Do you use chrome? because chrome eats ram

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

You could consider a more memory friendly operative system (referring to linux distros).

I would recommend doing a pro & con about it.

Do you use chrome? because chrome eats ram

Yes, but i am trying to get firefox to look like my chrome (with the theme and all the extensions) so i can move to that. is chrome really that bad?

You could consider a more memory friendly operative system (referring to linux distros).

I would recommend doing a pro & con about it.

i can't go linux, i use some programs that are windows only (i need them for school). even if i could, my dad wouldn't let me, as he paid for 5/8 of the laptop

That seems very unusual actually, my firefox never really goes beyond 600mb - 800mb with 10+ tabs open, right now I've got 18 tabs including 4 youtube video's and 2 battlelog tabs which normally use more ram, and firefox usage is 875mb'ish. Total memory usage is 2gb. So you may a memory leak.

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

ok, i normally stay around 75%, but it often gives me warnings that i need to close something or it will run out of ram. sidenote i restart my computer every 1-2 weeks, is that a problem?

Is there any reason that you leave it running for that long? Surely turning it off at night isn't too much hassle? :P

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Yes, but i am trying to get firefox to look like my chrome (with the theme and all the extensions) so i can move to that. is chrome really that bad?

Yea, it really does eat up more ram compared to others, but extensions could also eat up abit, but I think that is more minor

Edit: You could try Waterfox, my friend has it on his laptop with 2 gigs(We tried to put in a 8 gb module but it failed to work), and it runs great on 8+ tabs open.

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

Is there any reason that you leave it running for that long? Surely turning it off at night isn't too much hassle? :P

i turn it off, but don't actually fully power it down (i just close it).