Noctua Redux "Cost Optimized" Fans

Did something on the set change? I'm noticing more echo in this video than in others.

Did something on the set change? I'm noticing more echo in this video than in others.

This was shot while everyone was away at E3... with my lavalier mic... I'm using a shotgun mic.

I don't know. I feel like I need a noise and airflow/static pressure comparison (or just temperatures against standardised radiator) between this, similarly priced fans and the original Noctuas to make up my mind on whether the Redux series is worth it.

Since this is older generation technology, Noctua probably didn't have to invest a tonne of money (if any at all) to come up with this series of fans, so it makes sense for them to have a set of fans that hits a lower price point, as long as these fans are a cut above everything else at that price point. Why do they have to be better? Because of their reputation.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

This was shot while everyone was away at E3... with my lavalier mic... I'm using a shotgun mic.

Makes sense... do I detect a bit of bitterness about them stealing your mic?

black nf-f12 is all I ever really wanted, I never wanted them to be dust and water proof, I never wanted to have them spin faster, I never wanted to pay 30 bucks per fan. Just no, all Noctua did, is to blow up their good products with unnecessary features and demand a fortune for them (industrial ppc) and give us all their crap fans for 3 bucks less, and in an even worse color scheme (redux) IMHO

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

They're still not that cheap. I like how they look, but for a couple bucks more I'd still buy the brown ones. Performance over looks any day!

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

Why is their fans so expensive, the other fans from corsair, bitfenix, etc do not perform as good as them?

-Desktop: Asrock H81M-HDS R2.0, Pentium G3258 4.2 ghz OC, Palit GTX 750 ti StormX, Kingston HyperX Fury 1600 4gb, Seagate Baracuda
-Laptop: MSI GE620DX, i72670QM 2.2 Ghz, 8GB 1333mhz Ram, GT555M 2GB DDR3.
-Gaming peripherals: Razer Deathadder 2013, Superlux HD 681 Evo Razer Goliathus Control Medium sizeCm Storm Quickfire TK white edition.

Did Noctua over look the market or is there some market for these fans that we're overlooking? Aren't they great options for case fan upgrades?

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

After all this time I've still not understood the difference between airflow and pressure optimised fans, tried to search a little, but havent found a definition and distinction of both. Nice video!

After all this time I've still not understood the difference between airflow and pressure optimised fans, tried to search a little, but havent found a definition and distinction of both. Nice video!

There is a handy thread in the air cooling subforum explaining all the details about fans and airflow etc2. I'm on the phone now so I can't give you the link but you should go find out there.

the short of it is if the redux line only shaves a few dollars off the cost I don't think it's worth it for me at least. I can live with fans that don't live up to 18dBA, as long as they're not 40+dBA like my scythe jyuni.

Without seeing a performance comparison, I have nothing to base these redux fans off of, since I haven't tested $20 noctua fans. owning the stock NZXT fans, scythe kaze jyuni 1900rpm fans, and B-gears Blaster 140mm and 120mm, I can say that the NZXT fans suck, the scythe jyuni fans are only airflow optimized while being loud as HELL doing so, while incorporating bushings, but my B-gear Blasters, while being cheap looking and having little data and research to back them up, are significantly quieter than my scythe fan while performing equal or better (double bearings), including the speced "3.5mm static pressure", all while being only $10.

oh, and the scythe fan was fragile. one of the only fans I've broken.

I'm with ya Linus on them being static optimized making a big difference.

as it is they're only good as a case fan.

black nf-f12 is all I ever really wanted, I never wanted them to be dust and water proof, I never wanted to have them spin faster, I never wanted to pay 30 bucks per fan. Just no, all Noctua did, is to blow up their good products with unnecessary features and demand a fortune for them (industrial ppc) and give us all their crap fans for 3 bucks less, and in an even worse color scheme (redux) IMHO

I too don't understand why Noctua did this, To me these new fans, although they did say it is for industrial use, had spoiled what was almost perfection when comes to PC fans. I just don't get it and this coming from Z Germans.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

I too don't understand why Noctua did this, To me these new fans, although they did say it is for industrial use, had spoiled what was almost perfection when comes to PC fans. I just don't get it and this coming from Z Germans.

Sis in not from se Jerman Enjineers, sey ar austrian you bitsches!

Sorry

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

The only real difference between the Redux series and the main line is .... TIME TRAVEL.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

I'm still just conna use the Corsair AF and SP series for cooling on my rigs ;)

Sorry for terrible English, I'm Norwegian   :D

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00 GHz | Motherboard: Old MSI Thing | RAM: 2x4GB | GPU: Old Nvidia 8800 GT Card | Case: Old Antex Thing THAT IS F*CKING luod! | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 EVO + 2x 80GB Western Digital | PSU: Old Blonze Plus 500W | Cooling: Stock Fans
CPU: | Motherboard: | RAM: A | GPU: | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Arctic White | Storage: A | PSU: | Cooling: A
Headphones: HyperX Cloud Gaming Headset | Speakers: Logitech Speaker System Z323
Displays: 2x BenQ 24" LED GL2450HE (on a AX Double Monitor Stand (AXM4100) | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014 | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 + Razer Manticor (and sometimes Corsair MM600)
Old/Reserve Pheripherals: SteelSeries Frost Blue Gaming Gear (Headset, Mousepad and Mouse) Webcam: Micosoft LiveCam Studio Business | Consoles: Wii + Play Station 3 + Play Station 4

what a disappointing review, I actually wanted to see their performance and how truly quiet they are.

@LinusTech I think in certain situations, those fans are really good.

For example, lots of cases have dual 140mm front fan mount, that has a grill, a filter and often a HDD cage next to them. Now, you're an advocate for pressure optimized fan in all situations yourself.

Some good PWM options for this are the Bitfenix Spectre Pro for £9.99, the Be Quiet Shadow Wings for £10.78 or the P14 redux for for £11.21. For reference, the NF-A14 is £15.82. £4.61 more and poopy colors.. If you buy 2 of these for air intakes, they are a really good deal if they perform as good as you claimed for years. :)

All prices are from specialtech.co.uk, excluding VAT.

i think all they did is just change the color and lower the cost a bit, they are still the same as the old ones (brownish)

and i am sure that they didnt include 120 pressure optimize on purpose cause it would hurt their industrial lineup, people would buy these and get about the same performance,

unless they want 3000 RPM, which most people are going to use a fan controller anyways, so yeah

These fans pretty much, only useable if you wanted a good fan, for case airflow, and a cpu heatsink, and doesnt look bad (which they think it doesnt :P i like the old noctua color tbh)]

Note: these cost 50% less than the Industrial lineup

and i think around 10 CAD dollars less than the old lineup

i checked with NCIX website -> http://search.ncix.com/search/?qcatid=0&q=noctua

They're still not that cheap. And you are right, Linus, there should be a pressure optimised fan. The mufflers on my case won't be that restrictive, but not open either, so the performance of an NF-S12B in that setup would still be 'wimpy at best'. I think something like a NoiseBlocker eLoop would be better for my needs.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

• 3 months later...

Noctua is the Apple of fans.

-·- BitFenix Prodigy M (Arctic White) -·- Asus Maximus VII Gene -·- Intel Core i7-4790K -·- Corsair H100i -·- G.Skill Trident X 2133MHz CL9 32GB (4x8GB) -·- Sparkle Calibre GTX580 -·- Samsung 500GB 850 Evo SSD -·- WD Caviar Green 4TB -·- Cooler Master V700 -·- LG 25UM55 21:9 2560x1080 25" -·- Logitech G600 -·-