How old were you when you started programming?

Maximation

About 20. I never did any until I first did a JavaScript course at Uni. We went on to do Java for the Computer Science half of my degree, and I did some C in my Electronic Engineering half...

I got into it a lot and ended up just doing little programs myself to see what I could do and learning that way... eventually I went on to learn other languages and move into things like Web Development which I still do as a hobby today. Hoping to get a job in it, but it is difficult when you don't have any experience or formal training.

I started programming at the age of 7 or 8 together with my 2 years older brother. We were making a bunch of pointless minigames, haha.

Started programming professionally roughly 4 years ago now, writing random software for clients (mainly Java, C++ and some odd sprinkles of VB strangely enough) after which I then transitioning to web (PHP, CSS, HTML, JS) after studying design and stuff at University. Since 2012 we're (my brother and two friends from university) running our own studio, making our first "professional-grade" video game. It's like those early-year dreams are coming to life.  :D

Cheers,

Linus

I was 15 or 16 and started with C++ in high school.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

I was around 17. I started with Javascript, then moved to Java and then Python.

When i was 12 i started with PHP and HTML, 

I started at 11/12 with HTML and CSS. Since then I've kind of lost interest, need to get back into it.

Hmm I started messing with HTML and JS simetime in 7th grade (~13 years old) and thought at the time, "oh yeah... I know programming" lol. Later I thought "I want to make something that isn't a webpage or ran in a browser" so I went to youtube in 9th grade to try to learn C/C++. I failed miserably at the time and looked for an alternative that I could grasp but was still able to achieve what I wanted. Found something called RealBasic. Dabbled in that for a week, then I found VB. At the time I was very ignorant about anything programming and while looking up tutorials for VB I mistakenly and unknowingly learned VB.net (VB6 vs VB.net, I didn't know at the time since the search term I used was simply VB with no specifics and thought .NET was just part of an address). Throughout highschool I learned and did more vb.net. After highschool I went into networking at Pennsylvania Institute of Technology and we had a JS class that thaught me much more about JS (before I just mostly modified code). Learning to write JS gave me a grasp on the syntax schemes which varied among languages, with that I thought I can tackle C/C++ again but I didn't take the plunge until right before I started my programming class at Devry University (DO NOT go there, they are rip off artists and a horrible school which I later dropped out of). Before classes started I somewhere somehow got the motivation to look into tutorials and in about a week I learned most of the basics etc (no classes or interfaces etc, mostly creating functions, some math and output). I did very well in the C++ class imo and provided help to anyone in the class that was struggling or just needed the help via skype (got in trouble because on some assignments the code of the people I helped was similar to mine, and I was asked to stop helping). After I dropped out a friend of mine was still in school and was learning java and he asked for some help. I knew nothing of java and he said (probably jokingly) "learn it" and I did lol. Ofc not java as a whole, I learned the basics etc and just brought over what I knew from VB and C++. While helping him I usually write everything in VB and then converted the logic over to Java afterwards (when I can), it was an inefficent way but at the time it was hard for me to just jump right into java. Even today I write most things in VB because I am most comfortable in it and it does what I need. The only problem my friend had was my VB source and to make things easier I rewrote in C# sometimes. I want to dabble into x86 one day and ARM even though I hate it (for no legitimate reason lol). I am now 23 and while I like programming I cant say I am a very fast learner of it nor good at it but I do it as a hobby and I learn more by finding problems and googling on how to fix them or wanting to implement a feature I don't know how to yet.

PS: I forgot to mention I learned R to help a friend in some bio-chem stuff. Its a useless language imo and also dabbled in D for a bit out of curiosity (will probably be my main language in the not so near future).

I started at 12. Java, lua, and python all at once. 14 now

Ehm..

Moral of the story, I don't know programming  -_-

Moral of the story, I don't know programming -_-

Haha, ahh. Well, maybe you will learn to program someday, it is great.

Learning

About 10-11 I think with QBasic lol those were the days xD

2009 when i got into college. even though they taught us how to program some buddys of me and i always were way faster than the teacher and so we started doing our own crazy projects. for example we had something like spotify before it came out even though we of course just had the songs we hab so it was still awesome way to share music with a large group of people and easy access to. but really the first good thing i did by myself was probably coding bomberman with awesome drawn graphics from a friend of mine. i did all this in c#/xna by the way and now with 22 i still enjoy programming little games and make them beautiful as fuck even though theres maybe 30 people who know about them.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

For me it was when I was 11. :D I started with basic HTML, at house times, there was rarely websites with proper  design, and so many design elements and community of codes that can be grabbed like jquery stuff was missing. So it was the best time to start because you can slowly build up on your knowledge of programming other than buying 500 books. :D But with software development and server side scripting I started like last year with a project I had to solve :P:D Well its cool reading how people started and will start :P 

Kevin Jin

Linked In

I learned batch when I was 9 or 10, then when I turned 10 or 11 I started learning Lua.

Built a small robot at the age of 10 and got into some basic C programming this way. Great way to get familiar with all the compilers and stuff. I don't program much these days (I am 17 now), but I still love robotics, my brother and I built this random robotic vehicle out of Lego technic parts using an Arduino as a controller.

post-78536-0-63017500-1404525688.jpg

Not really done yet, the weird arms on the front will hold collision sensors and we'll add an infrared distance sensor mounted on a small servo as well. My bro wants to add some LEDs as well just to make it pretty... It is a beast because it is powered by 16 (yes) AA batteries... The reason for this is that we need a high enough voltage for the motor. Could have been done more effective, but oh well. iPad Mini for scale:

post-78536-0-40984500-1404526168.jpeg

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

14, started with Visual Basics. Now I'm studying Computer Science and know like 5 or 6 languages (including SQL and XPath data structure languages, whether or not you'd class that as a programming language, some do, some don't). Just finished first year.

"The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be."

CPU: Intel i5 4690K - Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP - 2x4GB @ 1866Mhz - GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 4GB - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD- Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed (with Red AKASA Led Strips) - Display: Benq GL2460HM 24" Monitor

Programming? When I was eleven, my school bought two Raspberry Pi's and every lunch we'd go mess with Python. We had Arduino boards that we could do all sorts of neat stuff with. That people stopped coming, so the whole thing was kind of put off.

I don't really remember much, but I enjoyed doing it.

I made a webpage once in HTML, that's the last thing I did.

Lucky. My school never bothers with technology stuff. Our programming class got canceled and I have to do cooking instead :(

2001 is when I got into programming.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "