How old were you when you started programming?

Maximation

Inspired by a post in the General Discussion thread I posted the same question for us, the programming kids.

And with which language did you start and what was the first program you wrote you would call decent?

Learning

a bit of a useless Comment but, Never Got started :P

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

This summer is when i will start

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

t-minus a few weeks/months/years

When I was 17, about 3 months ago :P

I don't know whether it strictly counts but it was HTML, though to be honest at the moment I'm much better at taking somebodies stylesheet and making their website fancy rather than creating my own

" If you don't hand your homework In, I might have find where you live and break your House." <<-- Mr Leat, 2013

Programming? When I was eleven, my school bought two Raspberry Pi's and every lunch we'd go mess with Python. We had Arduino boards that we could do all sorts of neat stuff with. That people stopped coming, so the whole thing was kind of put off.

I don't really remember much, but I enjoyed doing it.

I made a webpage once in HTML, that's the last thing I did.

Build: CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 8GB G-Skill Ares 1600Mhz CL9 | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + WD Blue 1TB 64MB Cache + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB Cache | GPU: MSI GTX 960 | Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | Power Supply: EVGA 600B Non-Modular | 

I started at 12 with some rpg and qbasic/visualbasic now im 16 turning 17 :D

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

I only started when I got into university. So 17 years old (am now 22).

Therefore, the first thing I could call decent is the project we did on our first programming class (Fundamentals of Programming), which was the mastermind game in Scheme (the GUI was provided by the teachers as it was not the focus of the project nor the class but we could add intelligence to the computer player for extra points).

I started when I was 7, or 8, not sure. I learned Python, initially with the purpose of taking part in problem solving competitions. :P

Want to solve problems? Check this out.

With 5 years old I was compiling and running code in basic in windows 3.1 . :P

System 1: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus AT5IONT-I mini-ITX - Intel® Atom™ D525 onboard 1.8GHz Dual-Core HT - Integrated NVIDIA® ION™ - 2x 2GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

System 2: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus E2KM1I-DELUXE mini-ITX - AMD E2-2000 onboard 1.75GHz Dual-Core - Integrated AMD® Radeon HD 7340 - 2x 4GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

Building: Bitfenix Prodigy Black - Corsair AX860i - Asus Maximus VII Impact - Corsair Hydro Series H100i - Intel® Core™ i7 4790K - Asus Matrix Platinum GTX 980 4GB - Corsair 16GB Dominator Platinum 2x 8GB DDR3 2400MHz CL10 - Samsung 1TB EVO 840 Series

My first words were " System.out.print("Hello World!"); "
My parents were confused but yeah.. I basically started programming when I was one and a half year old.

Kappa

I think I was 14 when I programmed a spam bot for "Metin 2". Don't judge!

Without counting HTML, and only talking about complete programs, last September :)

I'm almost 20 now, but i took my first class in grade 11 which would have been September 2010, so almost 4 years ago. We didn't do much then, just simple little games in VB6 (yes, programming games in a VB6 Windows form is possible).

Technically I was 8. There's a lot of people who say that and make it sound like they were actually writing complex programs and stuff, but I didn't even understand what a loop was at that point. I started with a language called Lua on a game called Roblox. When I really started to understand programming concepts was, I think, around 11. I started learning Java and I was old enough to understand the logic part of it, but was still limited by math.

Now I'm 14 and extremely passionate about programming. The hard work I've put in has made it possible for me to start working closely with LMG on the forum and some other projects. (If it sounds like I'm proud of myself for that, it's because I am :) )

When I was 11 I learnt Basic one year before I started with Pascal (the only languages of which we had books at my local library) far more than a decade ago (closer to two decades than I would like admitting). Today I work at a tech company as a developer and use various languages (mainly Java, Python, Ruby and C#) depending on the project I'm working on.

15 i started with python and learned java this year. I think i'll try out c# when my new notebook arrives ^^

Using Tapatalk

When I was about 25 having had enough of blue collar work, I'm 30 now and work for a huge multi national corporation & freelance. Me and my family all have company private medical, I have the latest hardware, an expensive chair, I choose my own hours and work from home as and when it pleases me.

Software Engineering FTW.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

I tried to learn around 15, Python.

I learned how to program at 17, in college, doing Java. The next year, at 18, I learned C. Finally programming made sense!

the first time ever was at 12 when my father gave me my first arduino the main project that I developed back there was a version of Tic Tac Toe that would use the tv as screen and the playstation 2 remote to controll the X & O. after that I stopped for a bit and restarted learning c# the last christmas so that I would be able to write script for unity

Rig: i7 4770k, R9 290 tri-x, 16gb Corsair Vengeance, Asus Z97 PRO, Corsair RM750, Carbide 300r, Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo, 120Gb samsung 840 evo, 2tb WD green

I tried to learn around 15, Python.

I learned how to program at 17, in college, doing Java. The next year, at 18, I learned C. Finally programming made sense!

Ha. Starting with anything but C seems odd.

I started with C at 18, then Java with bits of HTML, JS, and XML.

No pun intended

Dream-phone: USB type-c (3.1), 1440p, 5-inch, removable battery, 32gb RAMdrive, sd card slot, stock Android, transparent atomic purple build, 9050 mah battery, waterproof AF, nuclear powered, ac wifi is fine.
                           OR a one-of-a-kind iphone that runs Android.

I started a little more than a year ago. I am turning 16 in 3 days :D Started with C++, then a bit javascript and now I am screwing around with java.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

12 started with JavaScript now going to Python and eventually Java and C

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

I started programming when I was about 13 years of with a retail version of purebasic I picked up (well, I begged my father to buy it for me ;) ) at a local supermarket (this sexy beast right here: http://www.purearea.net/pb/pics/PB_Versions/PB3-GameProgrammers.jpg). Did some HTML/JavaScript stuff before, but not much (mostly based on selfhtml).

Nowadays I mostly do Python/Java/C-stuff.