Can you connect two computers together with a cable?

BenestoTech
Go to solution Solved by beau,

Lol, topic is my question, just wondering. Could you do it with USB, and then play a game on one and use the second's power for the same game? Probably not, that would be like über SLI, but anyway, just wondering.

:P

It's called a cross-over cable, not to be confused by the term 'Ethernet,' which means both 'cross-over' and 'straight through'

Crossover means some of the Rx (receive) and Tx (transmit) are 'crossed over'

Lol, topic is my question, just wondering. Could you do it with USB, and then play a game on one and use the second's power for the same game? Probably not, that would be like über SLI, but anyway, just wondering.

Yo whats up.

You can use an ethernet cable. Unfortunately USB ain't gonna work though. Oh and you can say goodbye to your uber sli dreams too lol.

Pilates

you're probably better of selling the second computer and buying more ram or a GPU or something to boost performance in your main pc.  But research first don't just grab the first part you can afford.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Your chance to create such a device! Its summer time and what better time to spend hours on a tech feature that's not there and make a few bucks, if it works. :mellow:

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

You'll need to Ethernet cables and some kind of Modem in between I believe - this is usually how I transfer things to a new PC, I just use an old router

Edit: not that this actually helps you in your particular situation :P sorry it's late...

" If you don't hand your homework In, I might have find where you live and break your House." <<-- Mr Leat, 2013

Firstly, just like everyone else is saying, yes its perfectly possible to connect two machines together. All you need to use is an ethernet cable. Just plug one end into the first machine and the other end into the other. 

Secondly, there is no games that currently support the idea of using both machines (not that im aware of). From a technical perspective it is possible (supercomputers are essentially just many machines connected together working in solving a problem) but it isnt really useful for gaming.

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

For what you're asking, no. There is game streaming, now available on Steam, which uses the power of 1 computer to stream the game to a lesser computer.

But you can't just magically connect 2 computers together to get like, double the performances.

If you want to transfer files, any router can help you with that, there's also a crossover ethernet cable if you know what you're doing and if you don't you can get something like this, which shares the internet of another PC, can transfer files and also doubles as a 2GB usb key on the go, all driverless. I own that little usb crosslink cable and it does work, really helpful, especially when you have no idea what the ethernet driver for a PC is, plug that in, get internet, go on a website like my-config.com and get all the answers.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Hilariously this is possible with Xbox 360s, but not with PCs. :D

What are you talking about, ive never heard of this.

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

You'll need to Ethernet cables and some kind of Modem in between I believe - this is usually how I transfer things to a new PC, I just use an old router

Edit: not that this actually helps you in your particular situation :P sorry it's late...

Is it easier than backing everything up?

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

*runs off and buys Xbox 360s*

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

You don't believe me do you? Allow me to provide evidence.

Holy Shizballs. 

Totally going to buy 3 360s now.

What's with the lag? Should those two outside monitors be in sync? Otherwise it is a cool feature but rather useless if you want two people playing at the same time.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

It's just a shame that by the time you buy 3 xbox's the equivalent money could buy a pc that'd do similar.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

three 360's running three copies of Forza, hooked together through ethernet to be controlled by the one Xbox to play one game with three screens. Basically each Xbox is rendering it's own screen and running off the game in the drive. It's just being linked together to work as one. Not the same thing really.

It's just a shame that by the time you buy 3 xbox's the equivalent money could buy a pc that'd do similar.

Apart from play Forza :D

Apart from play Forza :D

touche. :lol:

three 360's running three copies of Forza, hooked together through ethernet to be controlled by the one Xbox to play one game with three screens. Basically each Xbox is rendering it's own screen and running off the game in the drive. It's just being linked together to work as one. Not the same thing really.

Technically true of course you are right, but this is still a widely unknown novelty.

Honestly i was skeptical. Its an cool feat of software engineering really, shame you have to buy three copies of the game though, that seems just a little unfair.

Honestly i was skeptical. Its an cool feat of software engineering really, shame you have to buy three copies of the game though, that seems just a little unfair.

Yeah they should do something like allow people to buy the game once digitally and let it install on 3 systems for this purpose and execute from the signed in console.

--snip--

No need to be so sarcastic, some people are new to IT. Instead of being a twat you should try and help them.

Actually you can use a cross-over ethernet cable for this, works without the router. Some configuration is required, however.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

It's called a cross-over cable, not to be confused by the term 'Ethernet,' which means both 'cross-over' and 'straight through'

Crossover means some of the Rx (receive) and Tx (transmit) are 'crossed over'

CPU: i7 4770K 4.2Ghz, Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty Z97x Killer, GFX: EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC ACX (x2 SLI), RAM: G.Skill 1600Mhz CAS 9 16GB, DSK Intel 530 120GB OS, Crucial M500 120GB, WD 1TB Blue, WD 1TB Green, PSU: Corsair AX1200i, Case: Obsidian 750D. 

SERVER HP ProLiant Microserver N54L, FreeNAS: ZFS, 8TB (4x 2TB WD Red), RAID Z2, 16GB ECC RAM, 1Gb/s Link Aggregated:  Running as NAS, Plex, & ownCloud

No need to be so sarcastic, some people are new to IT. Instead of being a twat you should try and help them.

Funny. A lecture on not being a twat from a scot - I'd kind of thought it was in your country's DNA by now. Networking is rudimentary. Lesson one in secondary school IT for the past 15 to 20 years now. Period. I realise that up in the north you're probably still rubbing sticks together like barbarians, but the rest of us have advanced a little more.

Fractal Design R2 Define, Core i5-4670k@3.40Ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance Ram

Zotac GTX 780 OC, BenQ XL2410T 1920x1080 120hz, LG 29EA73-P 29 Ultra wide

Crucial M4 250gb SSD, 2x3tb Western Digital Caviar Black partitioned into 1.36tb each, Razer Black Widow 2013 edition, Razer Deathadder, Logitech G13.