Mechanical drive almost exceeding my SSD what?

DarkEnergy

I just did a CrystalDiskMark test as I have done in the past. It was between my SSD which my OS is on and my 1tb storage hard drive at 7200rpm. I took multiple tests and they were all similar. Here were the results:

SSD:
GVGP5Li.png

HDD:

OgniAvP.png

Other than there being obvious things for the HDD to be slow such as in the 4k tests, is it just me or is the read and write on that just crazy? Could it have something to do with the fact that it's partitioned because I have an Ubuntu partition on it.

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

There is no way your hard drive is getting 500MB/s reads or 200MB/s writes.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Try benchmarking using different programs to verify that these results are correct.

There is no way your hard drive is getting 500MB/s reads or 200MB/s writes.

LOL! My 1000000000 RPM gold plated, xenon gas filled , diamond head HDD can do that ! You noob !

Try benchmarking using different programs to verify that these results are correct.

this

Grammar nazis are people too!
Treat your local grammar nazi nicely and he might teach you a thing or two. (Note that I'm Belgian and not a native English speaker.)
Chivalry isn't dead!

I think CrystalDiskMark is just on drugs. I downloaded HD Tune and the HDD is getting around 180mb/s read, seems more legit. I can't test the writes because the trial doesn't support it.

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

It's probably because you used 50MB files for the test, and your HDD has 64MB of cache. Try using 1GB with 3 tests.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

It's probably because you used 50MB files for the test, and your HDD has 64MB of cache. Try using 1GB with 3 tests.

that's it. You need to check for larger files. Your HDDs got a small cache storage integrated that buffers small writes.

My builds:

'Baldur' - Data Server - Build Log

'Hlin' - UTM Gateway Server - Build Log

They must both be running off the SSD (assuming that the SSD was connected anyway), might be a glitch

" If you don't hand your homework In, I might have find where you live and break your House." <<-- Mr Leat, 2013