IPS vs PLS? What's the difference?

Izaya Orihara
Go to solution Solved by Virgule,

Just read that rigth before you said it :P Still thanks. 

Welcome to the forums, where if you think it, it's been said.

@Izaya Orihara

Look at this forum thread by @GoodBytes

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=258688

So I think its safe to assume that PLS panels = eIPS panels. eIPS panels are entry level IPS panel (the 'e' stands for: economic). eIPS panel are 6-bit panel.

eIPS panel is actually LG creation and has patents. PLS are just Samsung version of the eIPS panel. It's has it's up and downs, but it's about the same.

comparison 

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

@Izaya Orihara

Look at this forum thread by @GoodBytes

This isn't correct... I know that much. The monitor I'm looking at is the PB278Q and it has 8 bit  panel (PLS) Also it's panel is much better than 150€ IPS panels so that can't be correct... 

This isn't correct... I know that much. The monitor I'm looking at is the PB278Q and it has 8 bit  panel (PLS) Also it's panel is much better than 150€ IPS panels so that can't be correct... 

Unless I'm mistaken there are 8 bit eIPS panels, they're just less common than the 6 bit panel variant.

I mean the whole point of e-IPS and PLS was to find some way to lower the cost of the manufacturing process to increase the adoption rate of, and to increase the sale of, IPS panels.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

Unless I'm mistaken there are 8 bit eIPS panels, they're just less common than the 6 bit panel variant.

And why do cheapo 150 €monitors have IPS panels and a 500€ monitor has eIPS Panel? 

I mean the whole point of e-IPS and PLS was to find some way to lower the cost of the manufacturing process to increase the adoption rate of, and to increase the sale of, IPS panels.

I also just read that eIPS stand for enhanced IPS and not economy. 

From what I understand, PLS is IPS made by Samsung. Period. It's a branding.

Welcome to the forums, where if you think it, it's been said.

Spoiler

And why do cheapo 150 €monitors have IPS panels and a 500€ monitor has eIPS Panel? 

The E is unknown, as far as I know it's never been confirmed as to what the E stands for.

Well eIPS panels allow for cheaper IPS monitors because they allow more light to pass through and so can use cheaper backlights, hence where we might think the E stands for economic.It might also stand for enhanced for the better transparency of the panel.

So there's no reason the monitor wouldn't use the panel.

Linus Sebastian said:

The E is unknown, as far as I know it's never been confirmed as to what the E stands for.

Well eIPS panels allow for cheaper IPS monitors because they allow more light to pass through and so can use cheaper backlights, hence where we might think the E stands for economic.It might also stand for enhanced for the better transparency of the panel.

So there's no reason the monitor wouldn't use the panel.

eIPS means economy IPS

E-IPS means Enhance-IPS

both are manufactured by LG.

While strictly not an IPS panel variant, we have included PLS in this section since it is IPS-like in character and performance. PLS was introduced by Samsung at the end of 2010 and designed to compete with LG.Display's long-established and very popular IPS technology. They claimed they had reduced production costs compared with IPS by about 15% and so were making a play at the market of IPS panels. At the time it was also being dubbed "S-PLS" (Super-PLS) but that name seemed to be dropped quite quickly in favour of just "PLS". It wasn't until mid 2011 that the first PLS screens started to appear, fittingly they were manufactured by Samsung themselves. The Samsung S27A850D was the first of its kind and its overall performance certainly reminded users of IPS panels.

Response times are quite comparable to IPS matrices, with 5ms G2G being the current lowest spec on paper. There is currently no support for refresh rates about 60Hz, although there are some Korean manufactured screens which can be over-clocked to 100Hz refresh rates. This is not natively or officially supported though. Contrast ratios are typically around 700 - 900:1 in practice, although can reach up to 1000:1 in some cases as per their spec. Viewing angles are very comparable to IPS as well with wide fields of view and freedom from the off-centre contrast shifts you see from VA panels. From a wide angle dark content has a pale / white glow to it like modern IPS panels, again leading to a fair amount of so-called "PLS-glow" which can be distracting to some users.

All in all, PLS is very comparable in practice to IPS. It should be noted that some display manufacturers market their screens as using an IPS panel, whereas underneath the hood the panel is actually a Samsung PLS matrix. Testament to how close these technologies are really considered although somewhat mis-leading. Samsung have seemingly moved away from their focus on PVA panels and are concentrating on PLS (and TN Film still) now instead.

Source: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_technologies.htm

From what I understand, PLS is IPS made by Samsung. Period. It's a branding.

They're a little different, it's not that simple.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red