Alienware Alpha (steam machine) launching Q4 without Steam OS

ltguy

Runs windows 8.1 therefore it's not a steambox

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

costum nvidia maxwell gpu? does this mean maxwell is close?

cpu:I7 4770k @ 4.3   gpu: 3.5 gb ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) GTX 970 @ 1530MHZ   Ram: 16Gb

I want to know what they mean when they say "Custom NVidia ´Maxwell´ GPU, 2GB GDDR3", becuase with an explanation it's meaningless.

Yeah, too general for my liking.

Custom built NVIDIA Maxwell GPU=underclocked gt820m or some shit.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Runs windows 8.1 therefore it's not a steambox

yeah at first they were saying steam game streaming then they said it will run windows with a controller??? IDK what is with them

just build a micro atx pc

Steambox's have exclusive chasis' you won't find a decent MITX case that is the same size and has the same features without modding it.

Yeah, too general for my liking.

Custom built NVIDIA Maxwell GPU=underclocked gt820m or some shit.

I am assuming its a GTX 750 atm if its coming soon.

I want to know what they mean when they say "Custom NVidia ´Maxwell´ GPU, 2GB GDDR5", becuase with an explanation it's meaningless.

It would probally be a 750ti or 750. Alien wear always gives the short end of the stick when it comes to a GPU

costum nvidia maxwell gpu? does this mean maxwell is close?

I do not believe so, the 28nm chip process was not working out and they had to move them back to 4th quarter of 2014 or 1st quarter of 2015

CPU, 8350 @ 4.3 ghz | CPU COOLER, Hyper 212 EVO | ,MOBO, Gigabyte UD3 AM3+ 990FX | RAM, 8 gb  G.Skill ripjaw 1866mhz | GPUASUS 7970 | CASE, Corsair 230T black and red STORAGE, WD caviar blue 1 TB 7200 rpm | PSU, XFX 750 watt 80+ gold | Keyboard, K70 mx blue (black/red) | Mouse Razer naga hex, | Monitors, Asus VG248QE 24in 1080p, Dell 24in monitor 1080p |

its weird if i got a dell pc or laptop then for the same price i could get an i5 4200u + r7 m265 with 8gb ram. Thats weird 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I am assuming its a GTX 750 atm if its coming soon.

I was being hyperbolic. I expect it to be a midrange card. Not bad for the price honestly!

Hail Sithis!

I think big picture mode in windows is gonna be the norm on these things to be pefectly honest.

This is somewhat close to my planned build (4130 or 6300 and a 280x or 760) so I could end up getting this one instead, though I'm not going to be sold on the soldered graphics until they post full specs.

-------

Current Rig

-------

custom GPU is another word for stock GPU with different PCB or embedded GPU on motherboard 

probably a 750 or 750ti

but all of that for 549 is pretty good

but 4gb of ram .... that stopped being enough for me when bf3 came

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

custom GPU is another word for stock GPU with different PCB or embedded GPU on motherboard

It's definitely going to be a soldered on the board GPU, it's really small so I don't see why they would include a removable card or anything like that.

Hail Sithis!

This is somewhat close to my planned build (4130 or 6300 and a 280x or 760) so I could end up getting this one instead, though I'm not going to be sold on the soldered graphics until they post full specs.

This machine is most likely not going to be desktop powerful but considering where mobile GPU's have come I don't think it will be a let down for people that will end up buying this. Considering the size and power of the unit, the price is pretty fair honestly. I am just speculating of course, until I know what GPU specs it has I can't be sure but it does definitely look promising!!

Hail Sithis!

This machine is most likely not going to be desktop powerful but considering where mobile GPU's have come I don't think it will be a let down for people that will end up buying this. Considering the size and power of the unit, the price is pretty fair honestly. I am just speculating of course, until I know what GPU specs it has I can't be sure but it does definitely look promising!!

Agreed, with the power shown in a 880m they probably will go with a lower tier 8XXm GPU, at the price shown it is reasonable unlike other Alienware systems.....

Agreed, with the power shown in a 880m they probably will go with a lower tier 8XXm GPU, at the price shown it is reasonable unlike other Alienware systems.....

Yeah the thing is that this is oriented towards a couch gaming experience, so uber high detailed textures and AA at that distance isn't that noticeable . So even if it's a lowered spec GPU, I'm sure it can handle all games at medium detail for at least 3 or so years.

Hail Sithis!

Is doesn't come with a Steam controller, it doesn't come with SteamOS, it doesn't even come with SteamOS's UI... Why is this a Steam machine again?

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Is doesn't come with a Steam controller, it doesn't come with SteamOS, it doesn't even come with SteamOS's UI... Why is this a Steam machine again?

Controller was Delayed, SteamOS isn't finished.

It comes with Steam installed and in home streaming for windows. 

This will be available before the controller and OS is released with SteamOS as a software upgrade and a Steam controller as a optional purchase

A 750 Ti wouldn't be too bad for in home streaming. Also, given that it's for TV use it wouldn't be that bad compared to a console.

Let's be honest here, this is better than what consoles are using... Even if it's terrible.

[spoiler = "My Computer Stuff"]

My ITX:

240 Air ; Z87I-Deluxe ; 4770K ; H100i ; G1 GTX 980TI ; Vengeance Pro 2400MHz (2x8GB) ; 3x 840 EVO (250GB) ; 2x WD Red Pro (4TB) ; RM650 ; 3x Dell U2414H ; G710+ ; G700s ; O2 + ODAC + Q701 ; Yamaha HTR-3066 + 5.1 Pioneer.

Things I Need To Get Off My Shelf:

250D ; 380T ; 800D ; C70 ; i7 920 ; i5 4670K ; Maximus Hero VI ; G.Skill 2133MHz (4x4GB) ; Crucial 2133MHz (2x4GB) ; Patriot 1600MHz (4x4GB) ; HX750 ; CX650M ; 2x WD Red (3TB) ; 5x 840 EVO (250GB) ; H60H100iH100i ; H100i ; VS247H-P ; K70 Reds ; K70 Blues ; K70 RGB Browns ; HD650.

Yeah no thanks, I rather build my own if I want one.

Soldered to the motherboard? It would have to be some obscure mobo form factor then. I hope they're not using a mobile CPU.

That is pretty much the line in the sand for me, if its not desktop lga 1150, they I won't be buying it. I want to be able to take out the i3 and put an existing haswell chip I already own.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

That is pretty much the line in the sand for me, if its not desktop lga 1150, they I won't be buying it. I want to be able to take out the i3 and put an existing haswell chip I already own.

I was referring to the GPU being soldered to the motherboard, but you're right still. I would like to see what a torn down Alienware steam machine looks like though.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

I was referring to the GPU being soldered to the motherboard, but you're right still. I would like to see what a torn down Alienware steam machine looks like though.

They have already said that ALL parts are upgradable including CPU only the GPU is part of the motherboard

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii