[Ars] Facebook Listening on you while you make a Status Update

http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/05/passive-listen-will-soon-be-enabled-for-facebook-app-during-status-updates/

The feature works similar to that of the music-identification service Shazam: the phone listens for 30 seconds, and then the app will pop up its best guess for the music or video it's hearing. "If you’ve turned the feature on, you’ll see an audio icon moving on the screen when you write a status update. If the feature finds a match, you can then choose to add the song, TV show, or movie to your post," states Facebook's blog post. Identified music will be attached to the status update as a 30-second clip, and TV shows will be identified by the episode and season.

Sure Facebook. Sure. You will send all of this data to your servers and will give it to the NSA. This is violation of our privacy, plain and simple. This spying must come to an end, and we as citizens who have unalienable rights must fight for them no matter where we live. 

Here's a video with some more info that encourages people to delete their Facebook accounts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfnKmPQdapw

And some more links about other things that Facebook does:

http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/28/facebook-reading-android-users-texts-well-hold-on/

http://www.democracynow.org/2014/3/17/snowden_docs_expose_how_the_nsa

And if you think you have nothing to hide and that the NSA does good:

http://lifehacker.com/5918171/plenty-to-hide

http://gizmodo.com/the-five-dumbest-ways-that-people-defend-nsa-spying-1585242095

http://gizmodo.com/65-things-we-know-about-nsa-surveillance-we-didn-t-know-1586633452

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

who uses FB?

I do. 

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

who uses FB?

Teenage girls. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x  GPU: ASUS Strix rtx 2080 Super RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 8gb x4 PSU: Corsair HX850i Motherboard: ASUS Strix x570-E Storage: Samsung 840 pro, Samsung 970 evo 1tb nvme, segate 2tb Case: NZXT H510I Cooling: Corsair h100i

I just hate that people use Facebook to do giveaways.

2500k 4.0ghz,GTX 1070 oc,MSI Z77A-GD55,G.SKILL Ripjaws(4 x 2GB)DDR3 1333,OCZ Arc 100 240gb,Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB,Corsair TX 750w v1,CoolerMaster HAF 912,Hyper 212 EVO

jokes on you facebook I haven't updated my status in 4 years 

who uses FB?

Parents who try to be cool and companies advertising mostly. Facebook's 'cool factor' is on par with Myspace in my eyes these days. I think more of neglectful mothers who let their kids drown in a bathtub because of Farmville more than I do of actual kids/young adults using it.

Too much of a spying trainwreck. Really wish when people do giveaways or whatever, they don't force a crappy Facebook account on you just to enter. That needs to end. Seriously.

Just like facebook itself, it's not compulsory.

Facebook specifies that it will not store any audio it doesn't identify as an existing piece of content, and it stresses that the feature is optional. Though it's worth noting that many Facebook features are optional, until such a time as they are not.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just like facebook itself, it's not compulsory.

Did you even read the second sentence in your quote, or click the link for that matter?

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

Did you even read the second sentence in your quote, or click the link for that matter?

????  of course I did, what do you mean?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

????  of course I did, what do you mean?

You seemed to be brushing off the entire message of the post by saying that the 'feature' was not compulsory and quoting where it was stated it was optional. In the very same quote there was information proving that it did not matter that it was optional at this moment, because Facebook will eventually take that option away. I don't want people to read your post, think this doesn't matter, and choose to keep using FB because they think they can always just turn the creepy 'feature' off.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

You seemed to be brushing off the entire message of the post by saying that the 'feature' was not compulsory and quoting where it was stated it was optional. In the very same quote there was information proving that it did not matter that it was optional at this moment, because Facebook will eventually take that option away. I don't want people to read your post, think this doesn't matter, and choose to keep using FB because they think they can always just turn the creepy 'feature' off.

wow, talk about reading into stuff.   My post was simply pointing out that facebook is NOT compulsory, and while this feature is currently not compulsory, if it is ever made compulsory you don't have to keep using it.

I'm so glad i don't care about facebook.It deferentially is not part of my life.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Does Facebook delete accounts on their own? I have never used mine much and have not logged in for over a year.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

wow, talk about reading into stuff.   My post was simply pointing out that facebook is NOT compulsory, and while this feature is currently not compulsory, if it is ever made compulsory you don't have to keep using it.

Whatever. I'm just thinking about how this would seem to someone who isn't quite convinced they should ditch FB yet. If they've begun questioning their faith in Facebook it would help not to give them false hope.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             

CPU
               WD Green 2TB

Whatever. I'm just thinking about how this would seem to someone who isn't quite convinced they should ditch FB yet. If they've begun questioning their faith in Facebook it would help not to give them false hope.

I highly doubt anyone reading this thread or even on this forum would be mislead about the ethics of facebook simply by reading my post.

Wow, no one's making you use Facebook.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers