YouTube launches huge #ProudToPlay campaign honoring LGBT athletes for gay pride

Askew

I just loaded up YouTube and was confronted with the gayest banner of all time. :D YouTube has gone gay for the day it seems, I didn't expect that to happen.

Source.

YouTube, in conjunction with parent company Google, today launched their 2014 Gay Pride campaign #ProudToPlay, making sports the singular focus of the company's Gay Pride efforts. The campaign consists of an original video with various LGBT athletes and allies and will highlight the work of various organizations working to end anti-LGBT bias in sports, including You Can Play and other members of the LGBT Sports Coalition.

They are also encouraging YouTubers to create videos about LGBT sports issues that YouTube will highlight over the next month. The YouTube pride logo, featuring a rainbow soccer ball, will be on every YouTube page.

Basically all the videos linked to the big rainbow coloured banner on the front page on the front page are about gay athletes, prepare yourselves for the comments section.

I'm posting this because it surprised me and I want find out what people think about it, what do you guys think about this? Is it a good thing or is it OTT?

I think it's OTT, and slightly patronising PR drive.

Reminds me of

conchita_wurst_3.jpg

Ok guys,I think it's pretty obvious something big about gay people is coming up.Media is just making us get used to them,I guess.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Ha gaaaay!

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

"This is the biggest moment in sports"

Wut?

Are you kidding me?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I can already smell the mod's spirit around this thread!  :ph34r:

Why does homosexuality have to be advertised? acceptance and  tolerance are what every outsider should have towards that topic, but not really more.

I perosnally think being homosexual is not "the way it's meant to be played", so why do we need to push that publicly now? Just sit back, don't say yes, don't say no, just let it go.

Edit: the video makes me feel like 30% of the world population are secretly gay.

who cares...

As a gay male myself I really just wish this gay propaganda would stop. Its a nice idea and all but after a while it starts to drag on... I'm not even sure what they're trying to accomplish anymore. Its like people making a big deal out of you're sexuality in real life only on a larger scale, it's just unnecessary. A persons sexuality should not be advertised or promoted, just accepted and left at that. 

I thought this would be something about gamers... :(

Why do big companies feel the need to advertise Gays and Lesbians?

They don't. They are just capitalizing on them. This makes get praise from some people and ire from others but in the end they get attention which is good for them and what they want.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

As a gay male myself I really just wish this gay propaganda would stop. Its a nice idea and all but after a while it starts to drag on... I'm not even sure what they're trying to accomplish anymore. Its like people making a big deal out of you're sexuality in real life only on a larger scale, it's just unnecessary.  

Gay marriage still has yet to be legalized in all 50 states, so... its safe to say that's what they're trying to achieve. That, and while some parts of media have been flooded with gay pride, most of society has yet to accept that being gay is normal and that you're not going away. Yes, you have everyone's attention and I can see how it can get annoying, but the battle is far from over.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

Gay marriage still has yet to be legalized in all 50 states, so... its safe to say that's what they're trying to achieve. That, and while some parts of media have been flooded with gay pride, most of society has yet to accept that being gay is normal and that you're not going away. Yes, you have everyone's attention and I can see how it can get annoying, but the battle is far from over.

Huh I didn't know it was that bad in America. I admit I don't really follow the gay pride scene as much as I used to so I might be a bit out of touch but... well i'm not entirely convinced that waving brightly colored flags in everyone faces and having loads of fancy events is the best way to show everyone that we are indeed normal and not some weird aliens from the the planet camptastic. I dunno, I guess I just don't want LGBT groups to be seen as demanding, annoying pains in the ass, because that would be even worse for both gays like me who are just trying to get on with my life and the more active types who are still pushing for legalized gay marriage.  

Reminds me of

Ok guys,I think it's pretty obvious something big about gay people is coming up.Media is just making us get used to them,I guess.

Being gay doesn't mean being awkward. That guy/girl is just awkward.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

@Common_Courtesy The U.S. is a country where food names change based on whether we are mad at another country. See "Freedom Fries", "Freedom Toast", "Liberty Cabbage", "Liberty Sandwich", and "Hot Dog".

I am fortunate to live in a part of the country where tolerance towards "otherness" is much higher than in the rest of the country (at least in recent years).

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

@Common_Courtesy The U.S. is a country where food names change based on whether we are mad at another country. See "Freedom Fries", "Freedom Toast", "Liberty Cabbage", "Liberty Sandwich", and "Hot Dog".

I am fortunate to live in a part of the country where tolerance towards "otherness" is much higher than in the rest of the country (at least in recent years).

Aye, the U.S is a strange place, I guess I should consider myself lucky to be born in the U.K and not over there.  

Bravo, Youtube, bravo. I guess next week is straight pride?! Where does the need for such nonsense even come from? Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against LGBTs....

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Aye, the U.S is a strange place, I guess I should consider myself lucky to be born in the U.K and not over there.  

Every country has it's quirks. My understanding is that the English like to cool down on a hot day by drinking hot tea. :huh:

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Bravo, Youtube, bravo. I guess next week is straight pride?! Where does the need for such nonsense even come from? Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against LGBTs....

straight people haven't been discriminated against, so there is no point of a straight pride thing, and we still don't have gay marriage in Australia because our Prime minster is bringing his religious value into our political system.    

Every country has it's quirks. My understanding is that the English like to cool down on a hot day by drinking hot tea. :huh:

that's not strange that's just logic cause it brings your core temperature up to match the outside thus making you feel cooler.

Where does that need come from you ask?

The very sentiment of your post is why there is a need for such things.

Straight pride could be a thing, if there was any extended period of time where straight people were prosecuted/harassed/tormented/2nd class citizens/ostracized/hanged/deemed illegal by the state for purely being straight. This has not happened, there for no straight pride.

And tboxy, lets not start on tony abbott, hes just an utter waste of time.... :P

The public opinion in the US is changing very rapidly, but we still have lawmakers and people in power that still have negative feelings on the subject. But that's just in the US, there are countries that you'll be killed for being LGBT, which is insane and immoral by any standard. So it's not just about YouTube and the united States, it's about the world really.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

we still don't have gay marriage in Australia because our Prime minster is bringing his religious value into our political system.    

Our last prime minister voted against it and she was an atheist, don't be fooled into thinking religion has anything to do with it. It's purely a political game and until we the masses are backing gay marriage you can bet your ass the poly's won't risk loosing votes on it.

Edit: the video makes me feel like 30% of the world population are secretly gay.

It could well be, legitimate statistics point to a least 15% being homosexual and there is more evidence to suggest the figure is higher and only artificially being kept low due to people being reluctant to answer surveys honestly.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I would say that acceptance is well over 50 percent, so the minority of people still hold backwards beliefs for no good reason. Do I think the advertisements are a necessary thing? I don't know, but what I do know is that things have changed for the better in the last ten years. It makes me happy to see how far we've come in the last 10 years! That's what it's about, not about pushing an 'agenda' it's about equality, and it's about progress. Seeing videos about a particular group of people's overall struggle shouldn't annoy you in the slightest, if it does well you're the one with the problem.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I would say that acceptance is well over 50 percent, so the minority of people still hold backwards beliefs for no good reason. Do I think the advertisements are a necessary thing? I don't know, but what I do know is that things have changed for the better in the last ten years. It makes me happy to see how far we've come in the last 10 years! That's what it's about, not about pushing an 'agenda' it's about equality, and it's about progress. Seeing videos about a particular group of people's overall struggle shouldn't annoy you in the slightest, if it does well your the one with the problem.

I think the question is not "are the advertisements necessary?"  but that there should be no need for the ads and the fact that quite a few think they are necessary indicates there is still a problem.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

As a gay male myself I really just wish this gay propaganda would stop. Its a nice idea and all but after a while it starts to drag on... I'm not even sure what they're trying to accomplish anymore. Its like people making a big deal out of you're sexuality in real life only on a larger scale, it's just unnecessary. A persons sexuality should not be advertised or promoted, just accepted and left at that.

how are people to be accepted if people still have misconceptions and bigotry? That's what these things are fighting and I applaud Google for doing this sort if thing.

Hail Sithis!

I think the question is not "are the advertisements necessary?" but that there should be no need for the ads and the fact that quite a few think they are necessary indicates there is still a problem.

I very well know there is a problem, and I'm glad the advertisements exist, but people should be past this point already is what I'm trying to say I suppose. Because treating people different because you don't like who they are attracted to or that they are born in the wrong body etc. Is just idiotic.

Hail Sithis!

It could well be, legitimate statistics point to a least 15% being homosexual and there is more evidence to suggest the figure is higher and only artificially being kept low due to people being reluctant to answer surveys honestly.

I might sound very conservative, but that's shocking. At least it's one way to slow down overpopulation. When it really comes down to it, I think homosexuality is wrong from a darwinistic and a evolutionary point of view. However i am perfectly fine with people being gay/lesbians if that's what they want.

I don't feel any disgust or dissapproval, like others might do,  when i see homosexual people, but it still feels wrong. :/

who cares...