Java

ArnieCarnie

Hi, i want to learn to program and i have no previous knowledge. Is Java a good language to begin with?

No, I would suggest starting with something like BASIC, Python or other non objective oriented languages. After you think you know one of those really well go to Java or something. The object oriented stuff can be quite confusing for a total n00b (sorry for using that word) in programming.

Build log "Whiplash" : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/158477-the-hero/

Whiplash: 4790k@4,4Ghz|Maximus VII Hero|4x4Gb Red/Black HyperX fury 1866Mhz|R9 290 Tri-X|Modded 450D|Sleeved cables on a M12II evo 850W|M500 480Gb| BenQ XL2411T@144Hz

Laptop: 4700MQ|16Gb@1600Mhz|Quadro 1100M|1080P|128Gb SSD|500Gb 7200RPM hdd

No, I would suggest starting with something like BASIC, Python or other non objective oriented languages. After you think you know one of those really well go to Java or something. The object oriented stuff can be quite confusing for a total n00b (sorry for using that word) in programming.

For someone who is beginning in Programming, Python is the way to go!

i was thinking of starting with Python, looks like that will be my way to go

Java is a pretty good language. The problem with Java is that it is dying, though it still prevails in Android apps and it is good for the companies that have outdated software that still use it (since they refuse to update the framework).

Hi, i want to learn to program and i have no previous knowledge. Is Java a good language to begin with?

Java is perfectly fine to begin with ;)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

The problem with Java is that it is dying

this is really far from being true AFAIK

do you have any source for that?

The object oriented stuff can be quite confusing for a total n00b (sorry for using that word) in programming.

well i think that learning OOP as a first approach to programming isn't that bad

after all, the purpose of OOP is to make code easier to read, easier to mantain, easier to write, closer to the ideas you have in your mind: you think you have to implement  something and you're given the instruments to do so, without converting your thoughts into weird code with awkward loops and instructions and things you would have to come up with

Why?

Java is a great starting point. It is used on most Computer Science degree courses to teach the concepts of Object Oriented Programming (Which is pretty much used everywhere today).

There are books that teach the concepts using a program called BlueJay. I would recommend those.

Java is perfectly fine to begin with ;)

ive been reading up and its either Python or Java and in the long run i think Java would be more beneficial to learn over Python 

Why?

Java is a great starting point. It is used on most Computer Science degree courses to teach the concepts of Object Oriented Programming (Which is pretty much used everywhere today).

There are books that teach the concepts using a program called BlueJay. I would recommend those.

Thanks 

this is really far from being true AFAIK

do you have any source for that?

I may have been a bit too harsh using the word dying, though it is slowly declining in use. Here is a article that sorta explains my point to an extent. It has been on a decline for years, especially with things like HTML5 taking it over. One example was Runescape (which is still popular surprisingly) making a switch to HTML 5 from Java. However, they changed stuff up and the people playing there for years didn't like it, which is why they brought the old thing back anyway.

Don't get me wrong, as Java is still prevalent in companies that have had software coded in Java for years and probably won't change a bit. Though, I guarantee that once new start up companies come in with better frameworks done on a more powerful language, the use of Java will decline. C# and HTML5 though seems to be getting a lot more attention than Java as far as I see.

EDIT: Google making Android use Java did help Java quite a bit though. Forgot to mention Android in this post. Though Google (and a couple of other companies I think) also seem to push HTML5 as well.