Which is harder - adult life, or teenage life?

MrTomnus

It's really the same: contrary to what you might hear if you were having problems socially speaking, yeah you'll continue to struggle. You might not have pressure at school but with what the job market is like nowadays you'll be just as stressed about being unemployed or feeling compelled to retain a really really shitty job. 

In sort, to me both teenagers and adults look at their counterparts with contempt saying "you don't know how much hard this is" when in reality I think both struggle equally.

-------

Current Rig

-------

-snip-

I feel the same. It's so hard right now with all these A-Levels and expectation for you to do well to get half a decent chance to get a good job. I want to work in the same field as you but I want to go to Imperial and their boundaries of A*A*A seem near impossible. I understand how you feel about papers and how they're marked because I'm the same. I know what I'm writing about but it's just not how the examiners would like so I constantly get C-E grades... 

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

Well, in the past two weeks, I've just done 15 exams, and I have 6 more in the next three. At the moment life is terrible, it's constant work. I don't think I've even launched a game I'm the past 4-6 weeks, so all the work has taken over my life. But apart from these exams, life isn't really that bad as a teenager. We have a couple hard weeks/months, and the rest is not hard at all as there is nowhere near the amount of pressure when there is no exams.

However, I believe that adult life is pretty much constantly hard, not as hard as the exam filled weeks, but it remains constantly hard while we have a break with no exams. So overall, at points in time, teenage life is harder, but most of the time adult life is harder. I've never seen any adult sweat as much as I have the past month and a bit, but after my exams are finished, my life turns easy while theirs remains hard.

Rig - Processor: Intel core i5 3570k @4.3GHz, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX, GPU: XFX HD 7950 DD, with a Kraken G10 and Kraken X40, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 4x4GB, HDD: Seagate 1.5TB, Cooler: Xigmatek Prime SD1484, Case: Phantom 530

Peripherals - Monitor: Acer 24-inch 1920x1080, Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder X4, Mouse: Logitech G9x, Headphones: Turtle Beach PX21, Mousepad: Steelseries QCK

I would say adult life is harder. It's not just the fact that you have to study/work and worry about money. There's a million other things you have to worry about. Think of all the things your parents have to do over a year. Now imagine it's just you taking care of all those things and you can't just half-arse it either.

Sine I moved out, I've had way more stress in the past 6 months than I had in the last 17 years.

Not saying it's all bad though. You have a lot more freedom and if you do eventually get some spare time you can sit around the house eating, masturbating and playing games if you want :D

Relatively, they're probably the same, because as a kid you don't have a full arsenal of tools or brain capacity or understanding that you do at 30. Because of this the struggle seems relatively the same. In an absolute sense being an adult is harder because there are 99999 more pitfalls and responsibilities and higher stakes to deal with.

In school, if I didn't do so well on a test, it's just one test. At work now if I don't do so well on a particular task, any number of things could result, ranging from nothing to bringing down half the Internet in bc to getting a school bus full of kids hit by a train.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I'm only 19, but I'm going to guess adult life. I spent my teenage years figuring out how worthless I am. I'm going to spend the rest of my life working some shit job alone. Unless I can find some magic miracle button that will turn my life around just by pressing it, I think the best thing I can hope for in life is a terminal illness. :P

There is a high responsibility to perform academically as well a socially as a teenage, however I am not a adult so wouldn't know. 

If academic and social lives are the only responsibility for a teenager, then they get it pretty damn easy.

well for me personally my life sucks (im 15) 

so when im in my 20's me and my best friend are getting a house im aiming to be a cop. and dont want a familly

Teenagers have superficial problems that don't matter one bit in the real world once they hit adulthood. If you made a bad grade, oh well. You still have another grading period to make it up. Do the same at work and you'll be fired. All Teenager gossipy stuff also doesn't matter. If a fellow co-worker is so immature to do that crap in a work environment, you report them and they lose their job. For spoiled brats, their parents provide everything, even overly expensive products. In the adult world, you want something, you pay for it.

"What if she doesn't like me back" I suppose this problem exists for both, though teens make such a huge end of the world issue over trivial things. No offense to teens on LTT, but I'm glad I'm no longer in that age bracket. Looking back at it now, it's down right embarrassing. :P

*I'm excluding education stress from "superficial problems" since realistically, both teens and adults should continue learning throughout their lives.

so when im in my 20's me and my best friend are getting a house im aiming to be a cop. and dont want a familly

And where ya gonna get the money for that? Houses don't really come cheap... Then you get property taxes and month utility bills....  

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Teenagers have superficial problems that don't matter one bit in the real world once they hit adulthood. If you made a bad grade, oh well. You still have another grading period to make it up. Do the same at work and you'll be fired. All Teenager gossipy stuff also doesn't matter. If a fellow co-worker is so immature to do that crap in a work environment, you report them and they lose their job. For spoiled brats, their parents provide everything, even overly expensive products. In the adult world, you want something, you pay for it.

"What if she doesn't like me back" I suppose this problem exists for both, though teens make such a huge end of the world issue over trivial things. No offense to teens on LTT, but I'm glad I'm no longer in that age bracket. Looking back at it now, it's down right embarrassing. :P

*I'm excluding education stress from "superficial problems" since realistically, both teens and adults should continue learning throughout their lives.

This is wrong. Teenagers can develop a lot of problems that you could think of as "superficial" that will influence their entire quality of life.

A problem I got as a teenager is BDD. I'm never going to ever have a romantic relationship because of these problems, it has severely impacted on my social skills which will make everything in life harder, and I find it impossible to concentrate on anything most of the time because I'm to preoccupied thinking about my appearance and everything that I'm going to miss out on in life because of it.

It depends on your life and how you live it dude. For some people both are easy, both are hard, or one is easy and one isn't just depends. For the majority of us i believe that childhood is easier. You have your family to rely on which you dont really have as an adult. Even as a teenager when i was getting bullied everyday during middle school and some of high school i knew it was only going to get worse. Now i'm in college, haven't been bullied sense 10th grade and yet life is still hard. It just a different kind of hard (mainly financial not physiological, yet). You take a lot of shit for granted when your a kid and you can't do that when your an adult.

This is wrong. Teenagers can develop a lot of problems that you could think of as "superficial" that will influence their entire quality of life.

A problem I got as a teenager is BDD. I'm never going to ever have a romantic relationship because of these problems, it has severely impacted on my social skills which will make everything in life harder, and I find it impossible to concentrate on anything most of the time because I'm to preoccupied thinking about my appearance and everything that I'm going to miss out on in life because of it.

I'm going to have to disagree. The first time I ever got depression was because of the asshats in high school (My middle school days were considerably nicer - they were also spent in another state) - I was made to feel the same way you did and all those negative feelings. Then I realized something as an adult. These jerkoffs are people I'm never going to see again and they aren't. I've been in a stable relationship for 2 years and if someone doesn't like me, I don't really care, that's their issue, not mine. It's that simple. These are people you'll never see again. Any opinion they have is just that, an invalid opinion that means absolutely nothing years later.

You choose to let past events that don't have any weight to continue to have weight, I don't. Been nearly a solid decade of graduating high school and haven't seen these people since 2005. What they are doing is none of my concern and vice versa. You should never let bullies dictate your life, especially when they are no longer around.

I'm going to have to disagree. The first time I ever got depression was because of the asshats in high school (My middle school days were considerably nicer - they were also spent in another state) - I was made to feel the same way you did and all those negative feelings. Then I realized something as an adult. These jerkoffs are people I'm never going to see again and they aren't. I've been in a stable relationship for 2 years and if someone doesn't like me, I don't really care, that's their issue, not mine. It's that simple. These are people you'll never see again. Any opinion they have is just that, an invalid opinion that means absolutely nothing years later.

You choose to let past events that don't have any weight to continue to have weight, I don't. Been nearly a solid decade of graduating high school and haven't seen these people since 2005. What they are doing is none of my concern and vice versa. You should never let bullies dictate your life, especially when they are no longer around.

I've tried the not giving a shit thing many times before and it never lasts. Even if I could get past it, it doesn't change how I feel about myself or any damage that has been done.

Dude, my teenage years seem like child's play compared to now. In 10 years, you will look back and say "man, I had it EASY then."

so when im in my 20's me and my best friend are getting a house

I've heard plenty of people say this before, it almost never happens. It's much easier to live with parents and pay board while saving for a deposit on a house.

I would say it has to depend. For alot of people who work 9-5, the day ends there (of course, it depends). Alot of people also do events outside of work hours, or stay late after work, or work outside of that 9-5 framework.

Whereas, students do 8:45-3 (at least in Canada) then go home and do homework of for a few more hours (of course, it depends). Though, they might have a school event, so they end up being at school from  8:45 am - 9 pm then go home and do some homework.

It really depends how you are as a student, and how the adult you're comparing to is, and how involved they are in their respective environments. Company managers will obviously have a larger workload then normal employees, same as students who take many high level course and participate in clubs will vs. the ones that take less lower courses

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

When you're at school, everything is laid out on a silver platter for you (your schedule, subjects, assignments, etc.) 

Once you get to university, shit gets real. You get told, "assignment is online, go nuts" 

Adult life is a shit ton harder. You have to juggle a plethora of things, tax, mortgage, family life, work, bills, etc. and you still have to some how find time for yourself. 

Living on your own is ridiculously tough, I lived with a mate from work for a bit but bitched out since it was way too much effort. 

Conclusion: live with your family till you have a full time job 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

adult, hands down adult, atleast aslong as you have a family to support you as a kid.

Completely depends. Once you've got a solid career, a wife, and kids, your life is pretty easy.

Getting there, is what's the tough part. As well as school if you push yourself extremely hard.

Working a job is generally usually easy, you know how to do what you do, and just do it over and over.

You love your wife, remember what she likes and dislikes.

Be helpful with your children, give them time and affection.

That's easy.

Finding your career, getting educated for it, finding the one you love, finding a home, that's the tough stuff in life, no matter what your age is. Teen or adult.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel the same. It's so hard right now with all these A-Levels and expectation for you to do well to get half a decent chance to get a good job. I want to work in the same field as you but I want to go to Imperial and their boundaries of A*A*A seem near impossible. I understand how you feel about papers and how they're marked because I'm the same. I know what I'm writing about but it's just not how the examiners would like so I constantly get C-E grades... 

Just one A* seems a million miles away to me, let alone three... Good luck with your exams by the way, I hope you get there! :) I did try to apply to Cambridge for Physics, but my application was rejected :/ But that doesn't matter, and I think it's for the best actually. I don't believe that getting a qualification at a fancy institution should make you any different to somebody who got the same qualification from a different place.

I'd love to live with my friend :) But I'd probably end up doing all the cleaning......

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

I think it depends if you have kids as an adult or not

Song Of The Day: Nujabes - Battlecry

But this is why I think adult life will be a lot easier. After a few years of trying to earn money, I will be completely able to control what I do with my life. I can pick any career I like (obviously as long as I'm accepted), I can have a house of my own. When I get the money, I can finally build a man cave of my own, perhaps even build my own house one day, and hopefully have a girlfriend who appreciates technology as much as I do. I just wish I could skip 10/20 years of my life to get to that point.

As much as it might suck it makes the good times that much greater. I had a pretty hellish late teen/early twenties experience but I wouldn't trade it if I could because it made me who I am :)

That said I think adult life for me has been more difficult. Very worth it though.

AMD FX 8350, ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.0, Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4x4GB 1866, PNY GTX780, Corsair HX850, Phantom 630, Samsung 120GB SSD, WD Black 2TB HDD

Rest in peace, legend.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, Gigabyte RTX 3070, 32GB RAM, 4TB Samsung SSD, and a crippling depression that causes me to buy games and not play them lol