Cant Decide

Go to solution Solved by i_build_nanosuits,

Then it would appear i'm going with the formula. I could rant on this 100Mhz increase for a few pages but i'll spare you. You're welcome. :)

hahaha alright ;)

You didn't watch that video, did you?  Any Z97 will do all of those things, particularly the Z97-A at a fraction of the cost.  Go ahead, waste your money.  No need to reply to this until a year later when your RoG features are going to waste and you have to buy a new GPU because the 770 can't handle the games you want to play.  Even if you buy a 4GB version, that money would be better spent on a 290 or 780.  You have probably never overclocked before, and you will be wanting the auto-overclock feature, which those lines of motherboards don't support, while the Z97-A does.

The RoG boards don't have sata express either iirc.

You didn't watch that video, did you?  Any Z97 will do all of those things, particularly the Z97-A at a fraction of the cost.  Go ahead, waste your money.  No need to reply to this until a year later when your RoG features are going to waste and you have to buy a new GPU because the 770 can't handle the games you want to play.  Even if you buy a 4GB version, that money would be better spent on a 290 or 780.  You have probably never overclocked before, and you will be wanting the auto-overclock feature, which those lines of motherboards don't support, while the Z97-A does. 

What do you not understand? Stops talking about GPUs.

let dave smith make is own bad choices, hero is te best boardbof the two.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

let dave smith make is own bad choices, hero is the best board of the two.

Bad choices? Tell me is it your money that's going into this build? I'm not an idiot I know it is a overkill board. It is however the board that is the most "future-proof". I would very much appreciate it if you would steer away from the childish comments and keep this forum a place of mature discussion. On of the primary ways of doing this is to follow the directions in the intro as posted. I might very well get some parts along the lines of what you suggested. If this had been a post dedicated to finding components that BEST fit the motherboard in a price to performance area then you comments on the matter might have been useful. However, as you can clearly see that is not the goal of this forum post so they are not. If you would like to buy the motherboard for me then you would have a say in what is overkill and what isn't but you aren't so you don't. I would however like to thank you for suggesting the hero and it looks like this is the one I will be going with. Thank you for your time. :)

P.S. if you would like to elaborate on why it is the best over the formula then by all means do so as this would be useful discussion. :)

Bad choices? Tell me is it your money that's going into this build? I'm not an idiot I know it is a overkill board. It is however the board that is the most "future-proof". I would very much appreciate it if you would steer away from the childish comments and keep this forum a place of mature discussion. On of the primary ways of doing this is to follow the directions in the intro as posted. I might very well get some parts along the lines of what you suggested. If this had been a post dedicated to finding components that BEST fit the motherboard in a price to performance area then you comments on the matter might have been useful. However, as you can clearly see that is not the goal of this forum post so they are not. If you would like to buy the motherboard for me then you would have a say in what is overkill and what isn't but you aren't so you don't. I would however like to thank you for suggesting the hero and it looks like this is the one I will be going with. Thank you for your time. :)

P.S. if you would like to elaborate on why it is the best over the formula then by all means do so as this would be useful discussion. :)

Having a gaming board won't make it gaming any better. My Z77X-UP7 is for big OC and it does well for gaming. None of these boards are future proof since Intel will kill them this time next year.

If your going to OC then Z97 and a fifth gen CPU.

If your not then any Z87 and a fourth gen CPU.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Having a gaming board won't make it gaming any better. My Z77X-UP7 is for big OC and it does well for gaming. None of these boards are future proof since Intel will kill them this time next year.

If your going to OC then Z97 and a fifth gen CPU.

If your not then any Z87 and a fourth gen CPU.

Thank you. :)

(yet another example of a person who abides by the intro I gave)

Thank you. :)

(yet another example of a person who abides by the intro I gave)

hummm...no...he totaly suggested you dont spend that kind of money on such a motherboard thinking it will be better for gaming or more ''future proof''...its not any of that, motherboard wont affect performance what so ever and intel kill a new socket every year..

now for my suggestion, why the hero? IT'S CHEAPER so you make less of a big mistake! :D

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

hummm...no...he totaly suggested you dont spend that kind of money on such a motherboard thinking it will be better for gaming or more ''future proof''...its not any of that, motherboard wont affect performance what so ever and intel kill a new socket every year..

now for my suggestion, why the hero? IT'S CHEAPER so you make less of a big mistake! :D

Stupid Intel. I hate them. In saying that I hate all manufacturers.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

No he suggested both of the boards based on their individual uses. Since you seem to know so much about what I am doing with it why don't you tell me? Also I did not say totally future proof I stated that it would be more future proof and if the board didn't have its uses it would not be manufactured. Now unless you are suddenly able to make a useful contribution to this forum I would ask you to please stop posting totally useless information. Also that sarcastic little last sentence was completely unnecessary and quite frankly pathetic. I understand the internet is a place that insecure people enjoy trolling but as this was intended to be a forum that would give me useful information I would ask you to please stop posting comments along these lines or I will be forced to report you. Thank you.

Stupid Intel. I hate them. In saying that I hate all manufacturers.

Agreed and nice GIF :) 

No he suggested both of the boards based on their individual uses. Since you seem to know so much about what I am doing with it why don't you tell me? Also I did not say totally future proof I stated that it would be more future proof and if the board didn't have its uses it would not be manufactured. Now unless you are suddenly able to make a useful contribution to this forum I would ask you to please stop posting totally useless information. Also that sarcastic little last sentence was completely unnecessary and quite frankly pathetic. I understand the internet is a place that insecure people enjoy trolling but as this was intended to be a forum that would give me useful information I would ask you to please stop posting comments along these lines or I will be forced to report you. Thank you.

@i_build_nanosuits has it right on this one. There nothing special about so called gaming motherboards.

Probably best avoiding the abysmal Z87 platform though.

@i_build_nanosuits has it right on this one. There nothing special about so called gaming motherboards.

Probably best avoiding the abysmal Z87 platform though.

Im aware that there is nothing to special about gaming motherboards. I just happen to like the ROG series and yes I will be avoiding the Z87 platform. 

Im aware that there is nothing to special about gaming motherboards. I just happen to like the ROG series and yes I will be avoiding the Z87 platform.

What GPU btw?

What GPU btw?

I havent quite decided yet here are my options

1. GTX 770 (Will do SLI somewhere down the line)

2. GTX 780 

3. R9 290(x)

Please do not turn this into a GPU discussion again.

in my opinion the mainboard will effect OC stability and performance.

Anyone care to challenge me? on the Haswell platform i5 or i7

Your Low end board  vs   my high end board ? You pick the test :) Im up for the challenge

Must be cpu bound test.

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

If you have the money and cate about aesthetics go with formula otherwise get the hero

CPU: Intel core i7-4770 --- CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 --- GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix --- MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D --- PSU: Corsair AX860i --- SSD: Seagate 120GB --- HDD: Seagate 2TB + Toshiba 1TB --- ODD: Asus External DVD-R

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate --- Mouse: Logitech G602 --- Mousepad: Corsair Vengeance MM600 --- Monitor: LG 29UM65

Well i would but mine is high end, plus no OC on my chip so i dunno what it can do ROFL.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Your Low end board  vs   my high end board ? You pick the test :) Im up for the challenge

Must be cpu bound test.

THANK YOU! 

Well i would but mine is high end, plus no OC on my chip so i dunno what it can do ROFL.

stop laughing and make some room in the freezer...lets go bro

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

Your Low end board vs my high end board ? You pick the test :) Im up for the challenge

Must be cpu bound test.

Board quality didn't matter as much for Haswell as it did for ivy bridge.

Although seeing small boards get big OCs was not fun to look at.

stop laughing and make some room in the freezer...lets go bro

LOL!

No i made promises to myself not to after my last fiasco.... killed a few items :P

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

I do have one question I will be overclocking either an intel 4670k or a 4770k which motherboard would be more optimized for this?

I will be watercooling with a corsiar cooling unit.

Board quality didn't matter as much for Haswell as it did for ivy bridge.

Although seeing small boards get big OCs was not fun to look at.

i have tested three boards on haswell 

4 chips. 3x4770ks and 1x4670k

z87-plus

z87 mpower max

z87 ud5h

I beg to differ.

what is you OC experience with haswell?

bust out your haswell parts Im up for the challenge. talk is cheap.

I havent quite decided yet here are my options

1. GTX 770 (Will do SLI somewhere down the line)

2. GTX 780

3. R9 290(x)

Please do not turn this into a GPU discussion again.

770 is more midrange than anything.

780 or 290(x). That better bus and memory size will on the 290 will help multiple monitor setup run better.

770 is more midrange than anything.

780 or 290(x). That better bus and memory size will on the 290 will help multiple monitor setup run better.

Yes I still have to decide on the details of my setup and uses even beyond the PC itself. Something the other guy faceman and whatever the other guys name was obviously missed. And for games  a 770 does deliver good performance. For instance I have a lenovo y410p with a gt755m that can run Bioshock Infinite (granted not on of the most taxing games on the market) and around 40 fps at 1080 on ultra. So a 770 would be fine for my needs.