Cant Decide

Go to solution Solved by i_build_nanosuits,

Then it would appear i'm going with the formula. I could rant on this 100Mhz increase for a few pages but i'll spare you. You're welcome. :)

hahaha alright ;)

1. Those "optimized" boards are nothing more besides gimmicks. Back in the days when CPU's used a shitload of power lots of phases was needed, now theyre just consuming as good as nothing and vrm designs improve. You don't need anything more than a regular 4 phase for any 24/7 OC. The maximus v formula is 4 phase and the extreme is just a 8phase, google how far formula's could push 2500K's.

1. No they are not gimmicks. If they where Linus would have pointed it out in one of his videos on them.

in fact, linus did pointed out it was pretty much useless, here:

And BTW keep in mind the MSI gaming Z97 is not an entry level board it does perform the same as the formula and have just as good onboard audio and lan, so the ''look'' upgrade is really all what you are paying for...as i mentionned though if it's fine to you then fine it is. no worry

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

in fact, linus did pointed out it was useless, here:

Ok fine but he does point out the value of these high end boards. 

Ok fine but he does point out the value of these high end boards.

keep in mind the MSI gaming Z97 is not an entry level board, it's still an high-end gaming motherboard so it does perform the same as the formula and have just as good onboard audio and lan, same expansion capability etc... so the ''look'' upgrade is really all what you are paying for...as i mentionned though if it's fine to you then fine it is. no worry... ;)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

770 is 100% garbage coming from a owner thats going to a r9 290

PC Specs: CPU: Intel i7 4770K / CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120Gig and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb / Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming-7 / GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX / Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850watt / Case: Corsair 750D 680 Coaster

770 is 100% garbage coming from a owner thats going to a r9 290

welll...disapointing for the price i would say more than ''garbage'' ;)

A gtx780 for example packs 50% more cuda cores, 50% more texturing units, 50% more VRAM...it's 50% better for much less than 50% more...in games will yield about 35 to 40% more frames.

@Faa

number 3 means if mobo fails CPU may also die with it...thus not likely to happen you are somewhat correct about modern intel CPU's not requiring 882phases board to overclock safely, a bad design motherboard can cost a lot, check reviews before buying/recommanding any motherboards.

That can even happen at stock settings so its a pointless argument imo. Many digital boards have OCP and the option to even change it, on Asus its set by default to 100% basically my pc just instantly shuts off when I start stressing with prime - moving it to 140% orsomething prime works flawlessly. On lga1150 100% was enough for 5GHz, you might need more for something like 5.5GHz

That your bios/cpu-z is reporting a vcore of less than 100mVt than a digital meter does measured from the source, thats your own fault :P The z77 extreme 4 did that but their z87 boards are extremely accurate now, if you check the list I gave every brand stepped their vrm up except Asus because it wasnt needed.

Anyways found this somewhere: "However, power consumption of the processor is very low. We measured no more than 11 amperes of current draw from the EPS 12V line (about 115 Watts if we take VRM losses into account) from a 4770K clocked to 4.6GHz with 1.25Vcore under AIDA stress testing. This tells us that the high temps are purely a facet of the substrate and process size. Getting heat way from the die quickly is what matters.

At 4.6GHz, Haswell’s power consumption is a mere 35 Watts over stock frequency (not including IGP). A 700 MHz return, for a circa 35W bump in power – again impressive."

http://rog.asus.com/242142013/labels/rog-exclusive/maximus-vi-series-uefi-guide-for-overclocking/

Thats just why it doesnt matter which board you got, they all have to meet the vrm requirements or Intel blacklists them.

About the mobo choice Asus maximus VI Formula or the Maximus VII hero.

That in my opinnion basicly depends on the cpu you wanne use.

Since Devils canyon probably gonne be released after computax in June i would wait for that. just to look what cpu prices are going to do..

If you cant wait, and just wanne grab a 4670k or 4770k then it does not matter which board you pickup basicly.

Only the upgrade path on Z97 for broadwell could be a point, but in my opinnion, if you are allready running a 4670K or 4770K a upgrade to broadwell will be a bit pointless. :)

In my opinnion the Formula is more highend then the Vii Hero, so thats why in my opinnion the cpu choice should be the decider.

That can even happen at stock settings so its a pointless argument imo.

Thats just why it doesnt matter any fuck which board you got, they all have to meet the vrm requirements or Intel blacklists them.

I'm not the one you have to convince on that, i take your words for it..pick an intel mobo for expansions and features that fits your needs and look that you like, brand you trust the most..everything else won't matter.

welll...disapointing for the price i would say more than ''garbage'' ;)

A gtx780 for example packs 50% more cuda cores, 50% more texturing units, 50% more VRAM...it's 50% better for much less than 50% more...in games will yield about 35 to 40% more frames.

Well yes I agree garbage is a strong term however it is a disappointing experience for how much you spend on it and considering the r9 290 costs close to the same and how much better it performs.

PC Specs: CPU: Intel i7 4770K / CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120Gig and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb / Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming-7 / GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX / Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850watt / Case: Corsair 750D 680 Coaster

Thats just why it doesnt matter any fuck which board you got

Wow, that went south fast. Dude stop trolling and just go away. You are obviously just spouting information you memorized on "i'm right .com".

I'm not the one you have to convince on that, i take your words for it..pick an intel mobo for expansions and features that fits your needs and look that you like, brand you trust the most..everything else won't matter.

Exactly

Wow, that went south fast. Dude stop trolling and just go away. You are obviously just spouting information you memorized on "i'm right .com".

Dude all I've tried to say is that any board will serve your OC's pretty much the same. I didn't even recommend you to get a hero instead or something else. In the end whatever board you buy its a personal preference basing on features/aesthetics etc thats something you decide not ours - I didn't judge your choice at all. Since you mentioned the formula, I assume you have the money for it and that you love it - you should get it. 

I can give you a few reasons why you should:

- The board is fully covered with armor even the back, you don't really want to bend any pins on the back of the board or short anything out. I often dropped by accident the big thumb screws on the PCB and screwdrivers even, thats just a moment of fear that it won't work anymore. Every board should be equipped with armor imo.

- Any other board looks a joke next to the formula

- Any other board looks a joke next to the formula

The MSI Z97-G45 Gaming looks really good in real life, pics won't make it justice it's an awesome looking board. :)

I'vs decided to wait and see if intels new line of cpu's is worth it. If they arnt then I will be going with the formula.

I'vs decided to wait and see if intels new line of cpu's is worth it. If they arnt then I will be going with the formula.

they are 100mhz faster haswell, that's about it from what infos i can get...not worth any wait if you want my opinion on this...knowing intel just too well you will pay a premium for that extra 100mhz overclock...

they are 100mhz faster haswell, that's about it from what infos i can get...not worth any wait if you want my opinion on this...knowing intel just too well you will pay a premium for that extra 100mhz overclock...

Then it would appear i'm going with the formula. I could rant on this 100Mhz increase for a few pages but i'll spare you. You're welcome. :)

hahaha alright ;)