Cant Decide

Go to solution Solved by i_build_nanosuits,

Then it would appear i'm going with the formula. I could rant on this 100Mhz increase for a few pages but i'll spare you. You're welcome. :)

hahaha alright ;)

i have tested three boards on haswell

4 chips. 3x4770ks and 1x4670k

z87-plus

z87 mpower max

z87 ud5h

I beg to differ.

what is you OC experience with haswell?

bust out your haswell parts Im up for the challenge. talk is cheap.

I don't run Haswell because they ran too hot and had bad OC results. Like 4.2GHz is shameful.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I don't run Haswell because they ran too hot and had bad OC results. Like 4.2GHz is shameful.

right on.

keep you inexperience to yourself then

I suggest you do some personal tests before making dumbfounded claims.

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

I do have one question I will be overclocking either an intel 4670k or a 4770k which motherboard would be more optimized for this?

I will be watercooling with a corsiar cooling unit.

the formula will be a better OC board in terms of 24\7 OC stability

more important you will get decent uncore results on the formula.

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

Can't you get 4.2 just on turbo? I'm fairly sure you need to check some of your settings.

Yes I still have to decide on the details of my setup and uses even beyond the PC itself. Something the other guy faceman and whatever the other guys name was obviously missed. And for games a 770 does deliver good performance. For instance I have a lenovo y410p with a gt755m that can run Bioshock Infinite (granted not on of the most taxing games on the market) and around 40 fps at 1080 on ultra. So a 770 would be fine for my needs.

770 SLi is really nice. Tried it at a LAN with the usual collection if crysis and BF4. although it was at 5760x1080

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

i got formula and im happy with it :) so go for it

CPU - i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz / 1.25v     Motherboard - Asus Maximus VI Formula     RAM - 16GB (2x8) Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866Mhz

GPU - Asus GeForce GTX 980 Strix SLI (+150 Core / +500 Memory)     Case - Corsair 750D     Storage - 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 2TB WD Black     PSU - Corsair AX1200i

Display - Asus VG278HE     Cooling - Corsair H100i     Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K95     Mouse - Razer DeathAdder 2013     Sound - Onboard     OS - Windows 10 Pro x64

@ProKoN @Davsmith4

Is the Z97-A considered a low end board?  Will it achieve very similar overclocks to the Hero?  Will it be any less future proof than the Hero?

Would you either get The Hero + 770, or Z97-A + 780/290?  Not to mention the Z97-A comes with sata express and Hero does not.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

@ProKoN @Davsmith4

Is the Z97-A considered a low end board?  Will it achieve very similar overclocks to the Hero?  Will it be any less future proof than the Hero?

Would you either get The Hero + 770, or Z97-A + 780/290?  Not to mention the Z97-A comes with sata express and Hero does not.

I would have to go with the Hero+ either a 770 (sli) or 780. But then again i'm just the one buying it and the Z79-A doesn't seem to be on the list.

By the way i'm doing a red build and the Z97-A just wouldn't go with it. I can't imagine why.

I would have to go with the Hero+ either a 770 (sli) or 780. But then again i'm just the one buying it.

No, you would have bought a single 770.  I saw the comment you made before you edited it.  We are trying to help you, @ProKoN is amazing, he authored an amazing Haswell Overclocking Guide  and even helped me with my overclock.  He is the authority when it comes to haswell overclocking in my mind.  The board you are looking at is way overkill for a first timer, unless you are fiddling with tertiary sub timings and trying to get the highest possible overclock, you don't need such an expensive motherboard.  Haswell is such a crap shoot on the kind of chip that you are going to get, you shouldn't be purchasing high end motherboards and water cooling until you know if your chip can OC worth a damn.  Another nice feature about the Z97-A is the sata express, which the Hero doesn't have.  The Hero also doesn't have automatic overclocking, which has actually become rather good these days.

If you are really dead set on a black/red color scheme, MSI has a very nice line of Z97 motherboards that are less expensive. 

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

@ProKoN @Davsmith4

z97-a mid range board imo

yes i believe it will achieve similar overclocks to the hero ( imo hero is a shit board, i would consider it mid range in terms of oc stability.lol) thats why i voted formula. both the z97-a and z97-hero are not up there with good oc boards like the formula.

the z97-a and z97-hero are just as future friendly, no winner

id take the z87 formula over the z97-a any day off the week.

im more interested in m.2. satae doesn't impress me.  its gonna require a bulky interface connection, power wire and all that for pcie 2x? m.2 just drops in and provides pcie 4x.

gtx 780 or r9 290 minimum. I wouldn't settle for a 770

@ProKoN

I can understand why you would take the Formula over the other options because you love to overclock, whereas @Davsmith4 is not as experienced an overclocker as you, and he wants the most future-proof mobo, which is the Z97.  So out of the two, Z97-A or Z97 Hero you are going to get the same results for overclocking.

@Davsmith4 please don't go for such a high end expensive motherboard unless overclocking is your primary focus.  Get the Z97-A for a cool $150, or an MSI Z97-G45 (red/black)- $150 and pair it with a 290 or 780.

What is the overall purpose of your build, it is not a good idea to plan out the build component by component, but rather the build as a whole.

Here is a rough build without knowing what you plan to do with your machine, my presumption is pure gaming with a red/black color theme(way over used):

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3R0Qj
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3R0Qj/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3R0Qj/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($189.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.94 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($75.60 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($79.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Seagate Constellation ES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($50.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II Video Card  ($488.79 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ TigerDirect)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($35.00) <-- Purchase Windows 8.1 for $35.
Total: $1229.28
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-26 00:07 EDT-0400)

No, you would have bought a single 770.  I saw the comment you made before you edited it.  

No I specifically said a whole back that I was thinking about GTX 770 and I edited it because I simply forgot to mention SLI.

NOTE: If you vote please leave reason for doing so and DO NOT leave other suggestions. I am going with one of these regardless.

Yes I read this correctly :)

@ProKoN

I can understand why you would take the Formula over the other options because you love to overclock, whereas @Davsmith4 is not as experienced an overclocker as you, and he wants the most future-proof mobo, which is the Z97.  So out of the two, Z97-A or Z97 Hero you are going to get the same results for overclocking.

how do we know how experienced this guy is? he was just looking for some suggestions lol. as far as i know he could be a better clocker than me or one of those lucky dudes that hit 4.9ghz on a low end asrock board lol

yes i do love to overclock for fun and as a hobby..guilty guilty guilty :)

24\7 stability @ highest possible clocks is very important  to me. i wont settle for mid grade. trust me i tried. 

net overclock loss on a mid range vs high end board was 600mhz ( 100mhz core + 500mhz uncore)

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67155-asus-z87-plus-the-good-the-bad-the-ugly/

your right i am particular, i do like to oc and get solid stable results. not everyone has the same agenda

i can appreciate your input trying to persuade people to save on a board and direct that cash into a gpu and staying current z97..it really is good advice when sourcing new parts and paying full retail. keep in mind that is not everyone's agenda as well

I was staying on topic as the OP asked :)

z87 formula  ftw :) ( lol i didnt even click the price links)

No I specifically said a whole back that I was thinking about GTX 770 and I edited it because I simply forgot to mention SLI.

Its easy for you to retract statements after you have edited previous posts.

@ProKoN

@Davsmith4 please don't go for such a high end expensive motherboard unless overclocking is your primary focus.  Get the Z97-A for a cool $150, or an MSI Z97-G45 (red/black)- $150 and pair it with a 290 or 780.

What is the overall purpose of your build, it is not a good idea to plan out the build component by component, but rather the build as a whole.

Here is a rough build without knowing what you plan to do with your machine, my presumption is pure gaming with a red/black color theme(way over used):

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3R0Qj

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3R0Qj/by_merchant/

Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3R0Qj/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($189.99 @ Micro Center)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.94 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($149.99 @ Amazon)

Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($75.60 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($79.99 @ Micro Center)

Storage: Seagate Constellation ES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($50.00 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II Video Card  ($488.79 @ Amazon)

Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ TigerDirect)

Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($35.00) <-- Purchase Windows 8.1 for $35.

Total: $1229.28

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-26 00:07 EDT-0400)

i do have the build thought out the GPU is the last part I still have to decide on. Thank you for your concern though.

Its easy for you to retract statements after you have edited previous posts.

*sigh*  -_-

@ProKoN

Reread some of his posts, quick before he edits them again!  You can even see he is mentioning a single GTX770 twice!  Here are the statements that lead me to believe he doesn't know much about motherboards and how they function.

"GTX 770 ok with you?"

"I want the GTX 770 for it suits MY needs"

"1. Asus ROG are optimized in features for gaming.

2. I like there overclock tools

3. I like the way they look

4. I don't want to upgrade motherboards for as long as possible with one of these I won't have to."

5.  It is however the board that is the most "future-proof"."

@Davsmith4

I'm done, I've said my peace, I hope you rethink your motherboard decision, glad we could at least help you step up from a 770.

No, you would have bought a single 770.  I saw the comment you made before you edited it.  We are trying to help you, my attitude is coming off as shitty because you sound so damn self righteous and arrogant, when in reality, you know very little about hardware and components, and have probably never attempted an overclock.  @ProKoN is amazing, he authored an amazing Haswell Overclocking Guide  and even helped me with my overclock.  He is the authority when it comes to haswell overclocking in my mind.  The board you are looking at is way overkill for a first timer, unless you are fiddling with tertiary sub timings and trying to get the highest possible overclock, you don't need such an expensive motherboard.  Haswell is such a crap shoot on the kind of chip that you are going to get, you shouldn't be purchasing high end motherboards and water cooling until you know if your chip can OC worth a damn.  Another nice feature about the Z97-A is the sata express, which the Hero doesn't have.  The Hero also doesn't have automatic overclocking, which has actually become rather good these days.

If you are really dead set on a black/red color scheme, MSI has a very nice line of Z97 motherboards that are less expensive. 

Allow me to set the record straight;

a. As I clearly stated I have not yet decided on GPU and was merely considering the GTX 770 and possibly a SLI config. i am sorry I did not make this clear earlier.

b. If being as polite as possible to a person who is REALLY pressing my patience by ignoring the meaning of this post makes me arrogant and self righteous then so be it 

c. I might know every little detail about every piece of hardware but I do know enough to pick my components

d. No i am not an experience overclocker but I do know a little. Thank you for telling me about the guide and I will be sure to use it.

e. Thank you I am aware of the MSI line but have decided on ASUS RoG.

I would very much appreciate it if you where to avoid bringing up closed subjects and throwing out childish remarks as it does nothing more than make you look foolish and in no way affects me. Thank you. :)

@ProKoN

Reread some of his posts, quick before he edits them again!  You can even see he is mentioning a single GTX770 twice!  Here are the statements that lead me to believe he doesn't know much about motherboards and how they function.

"GTX 770 ok with you?"

"I want the GTX 770 for it suits MY needs"

"1. Asus ROG are optimized in features for gaming.

2. I like there overclock tools

3. I like the way they look

4. I don't want to upgrade motherboards for as long as possible with one of these I won't have to."

5.  It is however the board that is the most "future-proof"."

@Davsmith4

I'm done, I've said my peace, I hope you rethink your motherboard decision, glad we could at least help you step up from a 770.

The level of maturity just dropped. :(

1. I just said GTX 770 I NEVER said I was or wasn't doing SLI I still might not do SLI as I stated I have not yet decided on a GPU configuration

2. Why did you re-post?

Thank you for reviewing airdeano if you find any fault on my part please let me know. :)

If you dont mind commenting or leaving a post in my feed to let me know that would be helpful.

The level of maturity just dropped. :(

1. I just said GTX 770 I NEVER said I was or wasn't doing SLI I still might not do SLI as I stated I have not yet decided on a GPU configuration

2. Why did you re-post?

if you do end up with GTX 770 SLI make sure you have 4gb cards..watch dogs already take good use of a 3gb at 1080p...if you want high-resolution ingame textures for a while don't pick a 2gb card.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

in my opinion the mainboard will effect OC stability and performance.

Thats wrong, unstable oc or stable oc same flops rate in IBT. 

Your Low end board  vs   my high end board ? You pick the test  :) Im up for the challenge

Your board isnt a 20 phase, it's just a true 5+0 phase: http://www.sinhardware.com/images/vrmlist.png and as you could see any board there including midrange or perhaps theyre lowend were rated for LN2 overclocking.

the formula will be a better OC board in terms of 24\7 OC stability

more important you will get decent uncore results on the formula.

To counter your logic; the formula will get you more OC than your mpower.

if you do end up with GTX 770 SLI make sure you have 4gb cards..watch dogs already take good use of a 3gb at 1080p...if you want high-resolution ingame textures for a while don't pick a 2gb card.

Thank you for the advice. :)

Thats wrong, unstable oc or stable oc same flops rate in IBT. 

Your board isnt a 20 phase, it's just a true 5+0 phase: http://www.sinhardware.com/images/vrmlist.png and as you could see any board there including midrange or perhaps theyre lowend were rated for LN2 overclocking.

To counter your logic; the formula will get you more OC than your mpower.

Since you seem to know what you're talking about which board would you recommend?

Since you seem to know what you're talking about which board would you recommend?

I don't like to recommend a particular board, that would be more of a biased opinion. Just get a board you like, they all will oc equally.