Cant Decide

Go to solution Solved by i_build_nanosuits,

Then it would appear i'm going with the formula. I could rant on this 100Mhz increase for a few pages but i'll spare you. You're welcome. :)

hahaha alright ;)

Hero.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

You really should consider other options.  You are paying a premium for those boards for features you will likely never use.  Motherboard doesn't impact performance, it is all about what features a motherboard has.  If you would like to keep the Asus brand, I recommend a Z97-A.  Comes with all of the necessary features without any puffery and at a much lower price.  By saving money on the motherboard, you will be able to buy a better GPU, SSD, PSU, case, etc..  If money is no object, or they come with a specific feature that you need then get either, they are both fine choices.  I would lean towards the Hero though because it is less expensive and is Z97.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Maximus VII Hero, because the Z97 chipset allows it to support 5th Gen processors, making it more 'future-ready' (as much as I hate that term)

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

You really should consider other options.  You are paying a premium for those boards for features you will likely never use.  Motherboard doesn't impact performance, it is all about what features a motherboard has.  If you would like to keep the Asus brand, I recommend a Z97-A.  Comes with all of the necessary features without any puffery and at a much lower price.  By saving money on the motherboard, you will be able to buy a better GPU, SSD, PSU, case, etc..  If money is no object, or they come with a specific feature that you need then get either, they are both fine choices.  I would lean towards the Hero though because it is less expensive and is Z97.

What did I say above?

What did I say above?

I'm only trying to help, thats what you came for.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I'm only trying to help, thats what you came for.

I came for a decision between the two boards that best suit my needs. I am fully aware of other options and non of them really appeal to me.

I came for a decision between the two boards that best suit my needs. I am fully aware of other options and non of them really appeal to me.

Alright, I hope you aren't sacrificing a high end GPU for a high end motherboard.

Alright, I hope you aren't sacrificing a high end GPU for a high end motherboard.

GTX 770 ok with you? :huh:

out of your two options i would take the formula even if its outdated.

low end rog, not for me. way too overpriced

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

GTX 770 ok with you? :huh:

I would go for something with 3GB of VRAM or more.  Going for a less expensive motherboard will free up enough money for either a GTX 780 or R9 290.  With Watch Dogs requiring 3GB of VRAM for Ultra, 2GB is just not enough anymore.  Unless you absolutely need a feature that those boards have that a less expensive Z97 doesn't, then put that money somewhere that will have a direct impact on performance.  With the R9 290 only costing $360, there is no reason to not go for a beefier GPU.

Here are some benchmarks comparing the 780 > 290 > 770

i agree with faceman you will be disappointed with a 770 2gb, modern games require and will even more in the future require 3gb of vram, a gtx780 cant even max out many games at 1080p, you are trowing money out the window going with such an high end motherboard...those are meant for insane overclockers and modern cpu's performs alredy darn well in games you wont even need to overclock them anymore...spend more money on your gpu instead and get a 780 or r9 290 instead...

gtx770 review (and remember the games linus tested didnt even required 3gb of vram and are not next gen aaa game)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I would go for something with 3GB of VRAM or more.  Going for a less expensive motherboard will free up enough money for either a GTX 780 or R9 290.  With Watch Dogs requiring 3GB of VRAM for Ultra, 2GB is just not enough anymore.  Unless you absolutely need a feature that those boards have that a less expensive Z97 doesn't, then put that money somewhere that will have a direct impact on performance.  With the R9 290 only costing $360, there is no reason to not go for a beefier GPU.

Here are some benchmarks comparing the 780 > 290 > 770

I don't think you understand. I want a good motherboard. These two are the ones I am deciding on. I have the money for one of these motherboards AND a GTX 780 or even a GTX 780ti if I saved a little more. I want the GTX 770 for it suits MY needs. I would like a nVidia card as I like its features. I am FULLY aware of the GPUs that are available. I am not new to the hardware world and understand how different GPUs compare. For now I am not talking about GPUs I am talking about motherboards. How we got on this subject is beyond me. All this post was asking was which motherboard you would choose nothing more. I would appreciate it if in the future you would stay on topic and respect the perimeters of the post as set in the description. Thank you.

i agree with faceman you will be disappointed with a 770 2gb, modern games require and will even more in the future require 3gb of vram, a gtx780 cant even max out many games at 1080p, you are trowing money out the window going with such an high end motherboard...those are meant for insane overclockers and modern cpu's performs alredy darn well in games you wont even need to overclock them anymore...spend more money on your gpu instead and get a 780 or r9 290 instead...

gtx770 review (and remember the games linus tested didnt even required 3gb of vram and are not next gen aaa game)

I am aware as to how GTX 770 performs and this discussion is NOT about GPUs vote, explain your vote then leave. It is quite simple.

Maximus VII Hero, because the Z97 chipset allows it to support 5th Gen processors, making it more 'future-ready' (as much as I hate that term)

This person did it right. Thank you!!!!

alright, hero it is then...i just hope you at least go with a core i7-4930k with an h100i and do proffesionnal 4k video randering...cause this is what this stuff is meant to do...

if your plan is to put a core i5 on that for gaming and go with a 770 shame on you...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

shame on you...

Really dude?

This person did it right. Thank you!!!!

Yay. I done good mumma.

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

Yay. I done good mumma.

Earning quite the reputation, feel good young Jedi, feel good.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

alright, hero it is then...i just hope you at least go with a core i7-4930k with an h100i and do proffesionnal 4k video randering...cause this is what this stuff is meant to do...

if your plan is to put a core i5 on that for gaming and go with a 770 shame on you...

Le Bastardo+ 

Red Alert

Yay. I done good mumma.

Yes, thank you for answering the question, not getting of topic, and not pointing out facts that I already know.

I don't think you understand. I want a good motherboard. These two are the ones I am deciding on. I have the money for one of these motherboards AND a GTX 780 or even a GTX 780ti if I saved a little more. I want the GTX 770 for it suits MY needs. I would like a nVidia card as I like its features. I am FULLY aware of the GPUs that are available. I am not new to the hardware world and understand how different GPUs compare. For now I am not talking about GPUs I am talking about motherboards. How we got on this subject is beyond me. All this post was asking was which motherboard you would choose nothing more. I would appreciate it if in the future you would stay on topic and respect the perimeters of the post as set in the description. Thank you.

No, I don't think you understand.  Motherboard doesn't impact performance.  I am trying to help you.  The Z97-A is an excellent motherboard, is a heck of a lot cheaper, will do all the same things those $200+ motherboards will do, and you can easily get the 780 without having to save more money.  The 780Ti is bad value because it costs $200 more, for only a 10-15% increase in performance over the 780, which can be attained by overclocking the 780.  The 770 might suit your needs today, but not for tomorrow.  As seen with Watch Dogs, you NEED 3GB of VRAM or more if you want to achieve any sort of longevity with your system.

I steered this conversation in a different direction because I am trying to help you.  You are prioritizing the wrong components for someone so "aware" of the hardware world.  I'm not the one making the purchase, so do what you want to do, only trying to help you get the most performance out of your money.

No, I don't think you understand.  Motherboard doesn't impact performance.  I am trying to help you.  The Z97-A is an excellent motherboard, is a heck of a lot cheaper, will do all the same things those $200+ motherboards will do, and you can easily get the 780 without having to save more money.  The 780Ti is bad value because it costs $200 more, for only a 10-15% increase in performance over the 780, which can be attained by overclocking the 780.  The 770 might suit your needs today, but not for tomorrow.  As seen with Watch Dogs, you NEED 3GB of VRAM or more if you want to achieve any sort of longevity with your system.

I steered this conversation in a different direction because I am trying to help you.  You are prioritizing the wrong components for someone so "aware" of the hardware world.  I'm not the one making the purchase, so do what you want to do, only trying to help you get the most performance out of your money.

Since you wont go away allow me to explain why I want one of these boards:

1. Asus ROG are optimized in features for gaming.

2. I like there overclock tools

3. I like the way they look

4. I don't want to upgrade motherboards for as long as possible with one of these I won't have to.

Now as if I haven't said it enough the thread is only about MOTHERBOARDS  not GPUs. I have not decided on a GPU yet. Though I am leaning towards the GTX 770 I have not ordered it yet. I might very well decide on a gtx 780(ti) or a R9 290x and you have nothing to say about it. The question posed was which should you choose not what the uses for them are and what parts go with them. I do not understand what is so hard about this question. I have my reason and they are not to be question by you. Thank you.

Since you wont go away allow me to explain why I want one of these boards:

1. Asus ROG are optimized in features for gaming.

2. I like there overclock tools

3. I like the way they look

4. I don't want to upgrade motherboards for as long as possible with one of these I won't have to.

Now as if I haven't said it enough the thread is only about MOTHERBOARDS  not GPUs. I have not decided on a GPU yet. Though I am leaning towards the GTX 770 I have not ordered it yet. I might very well decide on a gtx 780(ti) or a R9 290x and you have nothing to say about it. The question posed was which should you choose not what the uses for them are and what parts go with them. I do not understand what is so hard about this question. I have my reason and they are not to be question by you. Thank you.

You didn't watch that video, did you?  Any Z97 will do all of those things, particularly the Z97-A at a fraction of the cost.  Go ahead, waste your money.  No need to reply to this until a year later when your RoG features are going to waste and you have to buy a new GPU because the 770 can't handle the games you want to play.  Even if you buy a 4GB version, that money would be better spent on a 290 or 780.  You have probably never overclocked before, and you will be wanting the auto-overclock feature, which those lines of motherboards don't support, while the Z97-A does.