I KNEW I’d Hate this (I Was Wrong) - HP Spectre Fold

JordB

Despite his soft spot for all things foldable, Linus didn’t think HP's Spectre 17" 3-in-1 OLED Touchscreen Foldable Laptop would be for him. He was wrong.

Buy a HP Spectre 17" 3-in-1 OLED Touchscreen Foldable Laptop: https://geni.us/aFXpj

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Is this the laptop version of "a grower, not a shower"?

Record holder for Firestrike, Firestrike Extreme and Firestrike Ultra for his hardware

Top 100 for TimeSpy and Top 25 for Timespy Extreme

Intel i7 10700 || 64GB Kingston Predator RGB || Asus H470i Strix || MSI RX 6700XT Merc X2 OC || Corsair MP600 500GB ||  WD Blue SN550 1TB || 500GB Samsung 860 EVO || EVGA 550 GM || EK-Classic 115X aRGB CPU block - Corsair XR5 240mm RAD - Alphacool GPU Block - DarkSide 240mm external rad || Lian Li Q58 || 2x Cooler Master ARGB 120MM + 2x Noctua  Redux 1700RPM 120MM 

If we're going to ship what are essentially hyper expensive portable monitors with hardware that'll go out of date super quickly without the ability to take HDMI or DP inputs then you can count me out.

1 hour ago, Brian McKee said:

If we're going to ship what are essentially hyper expensive portable monitors with hardware that'll go out of date super quickly without the ability to take HDMI or DP inputs then you can count me out.

You might be able to use the TB port, but that's not the aim of this thing.

Frankly, IDK what they're trying to achieve here. This is just a massive Samsung convertible or something. I had the original of these things, the Tab Pro S. The concept is nice, but at 17 inches... IDK... you're moving away from the device being easy-going just due to that sheer size.

At over 5000$ it might not be the most interesting tablet/laptop/hybrid

Had hoped it would have been more affordable.

Kind of looking for a 15INCH low power/low weight tablet/AIO  [to use as a Home-assistant dashboard]. sadly most are too energy consuming or too heavy

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

1 hour ago, IanSzot said:

HP website says the product is discontinued? But it seems to be in stock in their UK store, just not in the US one.

I guess the review came out too late lol

Looks like it. I can't find it anywhere on their Canada site either unless I'm not looking hard enough.

The review must be recent, cause linus dont have a beard, but why is it dicontinued???

Did I help you?? Then please mark my answer as the solution!

2 hours ago, DisplaiopName said:

Looks like it. I can't find it anywhere on their Canada site either unless I'm not looking hard enough.

It's been odd to watch over the last week or so. It shows up on the Canadian site when they have stock, but then vanishes the next day when they sell it out, only to return a couple days later, and then repeat the process.

"Imax enhanced".
So, what Chinese company bought Imax?

I have been waiting for this one.  Though I'd wait to see a Microsoft Surface that can fold like this.  MS will do it right but price it to the sky.    

3 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

I have been waiting for this one.  Though I'd wait to see a Microsoft Surface that can fold like this.  MS will do it right but price it to the sky.    

this one is already 5K tho, if MS increases the price even further who is even going to buy this?

@RollinLower Lenovo launched the X1 fold at a $3k. Quickly it dropped to $1k and suddenly was interesting.

TL;DR Just ignore MSRP and see what the market does. I guess HP won't sell these at $5k either.

People never go out of business.

9 hours ago, RollinLower said:

this one is already 5K tho, if MS increases the price even further who is even going to buy this?

People who are to MS hardware as Apple fans are to Apple.   I trust that when MS does this they will do it right.  They had things like this in development a decade ago and aborted because they weren't really working right. 

15 hours ago, JordB said:

It's been odd to watch over the last week or so. It shows up on the Canadian site when they have stock, but then vanishes the next day when they sell it out, only to return a couple days later, and then repeat the process.

so its doing a colton move then.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

Is Linus still an investor in Framework, the laptop company?

The reason why I ask is because when Linus invested in that company he made quite a lot of statements regarding how he would handle things from now on as to not have a conflict of interest. I think ideas like him potentially not hosting laptop videos at all were mentioned, but later they settled on him making it obvious with a statement that he had a conflict of interest whenever he talked about other laptops.

I watched the first 2 minutes of this video and so far he hasn't mentioned this conflict of interest at all.

Maybe he mentions it later in the video but I feel like such important information should be made very clear at the start of the video.

7 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

The reason why I ask is because when Linus invested in that company he made quite a lot of statements regarding how he would handle things from now on as to not have a conflict of interest. I think ideas like him potentially not hosting laptop videos at all were mentioned, but later they settled on him making it obvious with a statement that he had a conflict of interest whenever he talked about other laptops.

I watched the first 2 minutes of this video and so far he hasn't mentioned this conflict of interest at all.

Maybe he mentions it later in the video but I feel like such important information should be made very clear at the start of the video.

You made this entire complaint without even watching the video?

Just now, RollinLower said:

You made this entire complaint without even watching the video?

In my opinion (and I am fairly sure it was Linus' opinion back when he made the investment that) I shouldn't have to watch the entire video in order to be informed about an important piece of information.

I believe it is important for information like whether or not the review contains a huge conflict of interest to be very front and center. It should preferably be the first sentence of the video if you ask me. 

I have now watched up until the 4-minute mark and so far he has not mentioned the investment in the competing company. If he ever mentions it in the video, it is far too late in my opinion. Especially since he frontloaded the video with the complaints. 

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

In my opinion (and I am fairly sure it was Linus' opinion back when he made the investment that) I shouldn't have to watch the entire video in order to be informed about an important piece of information.

The title of the video is "It's embarrassing how much I like this thing".

You don't even have to watch the video to know the most important piece of information - he likes it.

Him being an investor in another laptop company and still really liking the HP gives the title even more weight.

8 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I am generally on your side about this issue.  However, one could argue since Framework does not (could not) make something like this is it really a conflict? 

10 hours ago, LAwLz said:

i'd be inclined to believe this is an issue.. if there hasnt been a pattern of the framework investment clearly having no impact on the reviews.

besides.. linus doesnt write any of this. he hosts the video, but it's written and edited by a writer and an editor, neither of which are linus.

on that note.. this framework investment really doesnt have as much impact as you make it out to have. it's not mr. beast reviewing energy drinks while owning his own brand of energy drinks. linus gets nothing back from how much frameworks are sold, there is no intent of profiting off selling the shares.. it's not even a publicly traded company. in the video about the investment he also talked about how it's more about "keeping framework to their own promises" because pulling out the investment he made would be a rather "public" event, which will probably do significant harm to the company. so if anything.. this investment is a warrant canary for framework itself, not something that clouds his vision for what other laptop manufacturers are doing.

the investment is nothing more than "putting his money where his mouth is" on the topic of laptop repairability. if he were to rip on this thing's repairability as a major issue there might be a problem (despite that being very valid criticism...) but as long as i see no reason to even consider if the review is impacted by the investment, i'm more than fine with the "off-hand mentions".