BOINC Pentathlon 2024

Also, please I’m praying to the BOINC gods for a GPU workload in the last event.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

55 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

Crazy (and probably worthless) plan that’s just come to mind at 1AM: Could I fold and/or Boinc on my NAS (runs TrueNAS Core) by setting up a Windows (or Linux) VM?

I have no real experience with VMs and really just want to know what problems I’ll face and what performance I’m likely to get.

NAS uses a 5600G and a 2060.

You can yes

54 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

Also, please I’m praying to the BOINC gods for a GPU workload in the last event.

I'm not haha, but maybe it would be better so I can run PrimeGrid and NFS.

10 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I'm not haha, but maybe it would be better so I can run PrimeGrid and NFS.

I've got 5 GPUs really to go

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

SG looks like their pulling out all the stops, keep up the pressure

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, SkillzTA said:

If Einstein@home is picked you guys get to watch GPUUG take us to the house.

If only we could get all the LTT F@H users to move over to BOINC for a GPU event 🙃

tumblr_ms3lx9uiVx1qc14jro2_400.gif

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

If only we could get all the LTT F@H users to move over to BOINC for a GPU event 🙃

tumblr_ms3lx9uiVx1qc14jro2_400.gif

the-matrix-neo.gif

BOINC Team Member of TeAm AanandTech

BOINCGames.com - BOINC Competition all year long.

13 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

SG looks like their pulling out all the stops, keep up the pressure

I never did see if I could get those extra servers online, maybe I should

Still pissed off 5 shat themselves and blew up

Just now, leadeater said:

It's going to be right up until the wire I think on this one

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

@SkillzTA Question, Quorum 2 work can the other WU end up being given to a computer on your account or does the allocator make sure it must go to a different user?

Just now, leadeater said:

@SkillzTA Question, Quorum 2 work can the other WU end up being given to a computer on your account or does the allocator make sure it must go to a different user?

Its something the project can determine. Its possible to do it, but most projects make sure it goes to a different person. AFAIK, it's default this way and the ones where you can be your own wingman you can't do so on the same host. AFAIK. 

I can't recall an occurrence of it ever happening, however I have recently seen someone who got a Prime on PG and they also completed the DC task. But PG is unique with their wingman, since it's a different task entirely. 

4 minutes ago, SkillzTA said:

Its something the project can determine. Its possible to do it, but most projects make sure it goes to a different person. AFAIK, it's default this way and the ones where you can be your own wingman you can't do so on the same host. AFAIK. 

I can't recall an occurrence of it ever happening, however I have recently seen someone who got a Prime on PG and they also completed the DC task. But PG is unique with their wingman, since it's a different task entirely. 

Thanks, I knew same computer couldn't do it but I suspected same account couldn't either. Wonder if I should create another account and split my computers 🤔 (too late now though heh)

RNMA tasks in progress is finally dropping, was around 520k and not 479k.

Edit:

Also tasks ready to send is no longer sticking around 100k and is only 23k. I hope that's not a bad sign.

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

RNMA tasks in progress is finally dropping, was around 520k and not 479k.

Edit:

Also tasks ready to send is no longer sticking around 100k and is only 23k. I hope that's not a bad sign.

Shouldn't be. They upped it to >100k for the pent and based on the graph as soon as it dips to a certain threshold more are added. 

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Still pissed off 5 shat themselves and blew up

I think we are going to need them...

Team,

We managed 64k points for the last update but SG managed to produce around 14k more than us.

Ignore this, stupid browser loaded the cached page. 

But still it's closer so ...

We need more!

Edited by GOTSpectrum
I was wrong

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

26 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Uh oh... Are they out now? May need to get ready to change projects if we can't keep fed with WU's. 

6 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I think we are going to need them...

Team,

We managed 64k points for the last update but SG managed to produce around 14k more than us.

We need more!

Am I reading this wrong? You guys produced ~64k points the last update and SG produced ~46k points the last update. LTT outproduced SG by 17,360 points.image.thumb.png.e79d23bad15600fdea5e8066b96a6b41.png

Just now, SkillzTA said:

Am I reading this wrong? You guys produced ~64k points the last update and SG produced ~46k points the last update. LTT outproduced SG by 17,360 points.image.thumb.png.e79d23bad15600fdea5e8066b96a6b41.png

Wait yes... I guess I refreshed it before it cached the update 

Let down

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

@leadeater They're all like this

DSC_0989.JPG

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Anyone else having issues getting WUs?

DSC_0990.JPG

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, SkillzTA said:

Shouldn't be. They upped it to >100k for the pent and based on the graph as soon as it dips to a certain threshold more are added. 

That's what was happening, but not right now 😢

Down to ~700 ready to send

6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

That's what was happening, but not right now 😢

Down to ~700 ready to send

Yes you are right. Seems something is broken. I alerted them on discord. But they never seem to respond on discord so who knows.