BOINC Pentathlon 2024

Some things to know about Milkyway that you guys need to be aware of.

1. They have multi threaded tasks that will use up to 16 threads per task. 

• I don't think 16 threads is the most optimum, but ive never fully tested what the best amount of threads are
  • You can make the change on the web site on how many threads they use.

2. They have single threaded tasks of the same type that will only run on 1 thread.

• I have not figured out how to select which tasks the server sends. It seems to be random at first.
  • The single threaded tasks should be fine however.

3. This is a quorum of 2 project. It might say quorum of 1, but its not.

• When you download the task only 1 will be created.
  • When you return the task it will go into "validation inconclusive"
  • Validation inconclusive will trigger the server to generate the wingman task to send out for validation

So when you start returning a bunch of tasks and see they all land in the "validation inconclusive" category do not be alarmed. The server generated a wingman task and will send it out for validation.

BOINC Team Member of TeAm AanandTech

BOINCGames.com - BOINC Competition all year long.

25 minutes ago, SkillzTA said:

3. This is a quorum of 2 project. It might say quorum of 1, but its not.

• When you download the task only 1 will be created.
  • When you return the task it will go into "validation inconclusive"
  • Validation inconclusive will trigger the server to generate the wingman task to send out for validation

This project just has an... idiosyncratic way of doing quorum 2 😄

Western Sydney University - 4th year BCompSc student

I just 'No New Tasks' all my systems. Should have done it sooner but I went to sleep 😅

1 hour ago, SkillzTA said:

If you're saying the wingman task is created AFTER the inital task is retruned, does that mean bunkering is a bad strategy? I assume you don't get credit before the wingman task completes?-

Also any hints about NFS? With or without hyperthreading?

13 minutes ago, McDaWisel said:

If you're saying the wingman task is created AFTER the inital task is retruned, does that mean bunkering is a bad strategy? I assume you don't get credit before the wingman task completes?-

Bunkering would be tricky with since you are correct. You wont get points until after both tasks are returned and validated.

8 minutes ago, McDaWisel said:

Also any hints about NFS? With or without hyperthreading?

Geez, you just want me to spill all the secrets here?

I don't think it makes much of a different with or without and if it does then it probably leans towards HT/SMT being enabled.

Come on guys, one last push. 

Drop any bunkers you've got in city run or forever hold your piece 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

11 hours ago, leadeater said:

image.png.a0e2e94abef5b9a961c3bcc5f62d18d7.png

448d98e541ce64b898d03bc0815756d5.gif

image.png.6a5c2b092ef4b43edcb1936664530555.png

King Kong falling off the Empire State Building | Panther Red

40 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I just 'No New Tasks' all my systems. Should have done it sooner but I went to sleep 😅

I set mine to NNW a while back, but they still aren't done. I am only keeping them going to complete anyone's wingman I might be since apparently I have a good chunk of peoples tasks. So it's gonna ride till the end before I switch my hosts to MW or NFS which I should have done hours ago. 

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

@SkillzTA HAH! Jinx 🙃

Soon as I seen you post that I was like oh boy, this gonna be good. LOL

2 minutes ago, SkillzTA said:

I set mine to NNW a while back, but they still aren't done. I am only keeping them going to complete anyone's wingman I might be since apparently I have a good chunk of peoples tasks. So it's gonna ride till the end before I switch my hosts to MW or NFS which I should have done hours ago. 

My worst has eta 22 hours, Numbers 3 days so I'll be running some project for quite a bit after the Pent 😅

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

2118d94e-293f-496a-84c4-5d348085f20f_tex

NFS@Home

It is any NFS task, yes?

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

NFS seems very memory intensive.

Switching back to single-threaded... running 16 tasks, I'm at 75% memory use (32GB)

Screenshot 2024-05-12 010842.png

2 minutes ago, McDaWisel said:

NFS seems very memory intensive.

Switching back to single-threaded... running 16 tasks, I'm at 75% memory use (32GB)

Screenshot 2024-05-12 010842.png

You can change your computing preferences to allow it to use more of your total memory if you want to squeeze out a bit more.

is there a way to limit the number of active tasks in NFS?

5 minutes ago, cmtedouglas said:

Easier to do it in BOIC Manager

image.png.eb48ef264c63a67ffe104b155d1955ce.png

FYI 16e V5 gives the most credit for run time but uses a bit more ram than others. Both 16e applications are a good compromise when you can't solely do 16e V5.

image.thumb.png.b5575e09ed7403f083c4b70547ff249c.png

16e Lattice Sieve for smaller numbers is ~1000 seconds for 50 points

16e Lattice Sieve V5 is ~2000 seconds for 130 points

Also I had a look back on BOINCStats for my best daily and the outright best I've done in one day was 5m a few years ago. Current best throw was ~10m so we're going to need to do around that to get around 3rd or 4th.

2 hours ago, cmtedouglas said:

You can create an app_config.xml file 

<app_config>
<project_max_concurrent>N</project_max_concurrent>

</app_config>

Just change "N" to how many you want to run.

You would put that file in the BOINC project folder. On Windows it is typically C:\ProgramData\BOINC\projects\escatter11.fullerton.edu_nfs