I need help with Ethernet

msponer

This is a long one.

So I live in an apartment that is quite long, and due to some reasons, the router has to be in one end of the house.

This means that on the other end of the apartment, the wifi signal barely reaches. So to fix this, I got a wifi repeater, and I ran an Ethernet cable to that repeater. That fixed the wifi problem.

However, I have another problem. The wifi repeater allows for two Ethernet connections, so one is used to connect the repeater to my router, and the other one is to connect to my PC.

However, the connection to my pc isnt direct, it goes from the repeator>ethernet extension block>pc. So it uses two cables instead of one.

My package is 80MB/s, and with the repeater, it only gives me 10MB/s. Not only that, but I also have a lot of packet loss when playing games.

Is this due to the repeater? Do I have to get a repeater that supports more bandwidth, or would it be better to just buy a second router?

This is the wifi test:

image.png.9083f9253cc4d4ec8b9b31d8773d880e.png

This is ethernet test:

image.png.743fe9a1352090dbf076dea1adb31b8d.png

That slower speeds kinda feels like a 100M link. Check that all the links are gigabit.

What speeds if you plug the main router into your PC directly? You could add a switch between the main router, your PC, and the second Wifi AP.

Yeah, I'd grab a cheap gigabit switch and not use the one in the AP repeater

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Yeah, that's likely a cable/adapter issue, I'd make sure they're all gigabit cables. Also another option would be to use a powerline adapter set if you have to use ethernet. Otherwise, if your WiFi is able to deliver your system it's full speeds, just use that. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

19 hours ago, msponer said:

However, the connection to my pc isnt direct, it goes from the repeator>ethernet extension block>pc. So it uses two cables instead of one.

As in the ethernet link to the PC goes through an ethernet coupler?

What type of ethernet cables are you using?

19 hours ago, msponer said:

Is this due to the repeater?

A make/model would be very helpful.

20 hours ago, OddOod said:

Yeah, I'd grab a cheap gigabit switch and not use the one in the AP repeater

This sounds premature, if its a cheap ethernet coupler I'd sooner blame that.  I bought a whole batch and they were so cheaply made I would lose the connection entirely if anyone sneezed near them.

Assuming its just being used to make a longer cable, buying a longer cable so you don't need it is the obvious option.

If it still doesn't work then I would wonder if the repeater in fact has no switch and is running those ports over the CPU.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

59 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

ethernet coupler

Like an unpowered extender? That's just signal integrity loss.
A TPlink 5 port gigabit switch is under 20 bucks and they're ~bulletproof. 

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

On 4/16/2024 at 1:05 PM, Falcon1986 said:

As in the ethernet link to the PC goes through an ethernet coupler?

What type of ethernet cables are you using?

A make/model would be very helpful.

Yes, it goes through an ethernet coupler, I didnt know the name

The repeater brand is Aigital, I couldnt find the model.

On 4/16/2024 at 2:51 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

This sounds premature, if its a cheap ethernet coupler I'd sooner blame that.  I bought a whole batch and they were so cheaply made I would lose the connection entirely if anyone sneezed near them.

Assuming its just being used to make a longer cable, buying a longer cable so you don't need it is the obvious option.

If it still doesn't work then I would wonder if the repeater in fact has no switch and is running those ports over the CPU.

We cant really buy another longer cable, because its installed into the wall, and taking it out and rerouting it would be a pain.

Also, im pretty sure the repeater doesnt have a switch.

On 4/16/2024 at 3:52 PM, OddOod said:

Like an unpowered extender? That's just signal integrity loss.
A TPlink 5 port gigabit switch is under 20 bucks and they're ~bulletproof. 

Ive never heard of an ethernet switch before, I will try it and post results

On 4/15/2024 at 6:07 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

That slower speeds kinda feels like a 100M link. Check that all the links are gigabit.

What speeds if you plug the main router into your PC directly? You could add a switch between the main router, your PC, and the second Wifi AP.

Im pretty sure I bought cat 6 cables, if thats what you mean. And I will try the switch, Ive never seen it before, I will post the results

23 minutes ago, msponer said:

Ive never heard of an ethernet switch before, I will try it and post results

This is a good overview of hardware components of a network

On 4/17/2024 at 3:24 PM, msponer said:

We cant really buy another longer cable, because its installed into the wall, and taking it out and rerouting it would be a pain.

Also, im pretty sure the repeater doesnt have a switch.

Well that could be a problem, as damage/bad connections is fairly common when the cable is in the wall.

As for a switch in the repeater, you wont know either way, neither routers/extenders ever advertise the fact they have a switch or not.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7