Will setting up a guest network solve my issue?

Elochai
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

Yea a guest network would keep the AC from talking to other devices on your network. 

You can also have multiple SSIDs on one band, so you can have a guest and prive network all on one ban.

So I bought a new Air Conditioner and it has WiFi on the 2.4 GHz band for app control. All my devices expect for my Blu-ray player use 5G.

I just found out that the Air Conditioner is able to be activated and controlled outside my network. That it’s not just on the local network but is sending and receiving data by the internet.

This worries me because it could technically access other devices on my network such as computers, NAS, share folders.

If I change or make the 2.4GHz band a guest network, would this stop it from potentially accessing other device's while still being able to be controlled from outside my network for turning on when heading home from work ?

Yea a guest network would keep the AC from talking to other devices on your network. 

You can also have multiple SSIDs on one band, so you can have a guest and prive network all on one ban.

A guest network would be the simplest solution. I personally use a separate VLAN for all my IoT for this reason. 

Thanks guys. Yeah the VLAN came to mind. But it’s the only device I got that is accessible outside my network. So I have it now on a guest network with a completely different password and intranet disabled. Even thinking about setting the SSID to hidden.