One myth down.. more to come..

NorKris

Can you get higher temps with too much paste?

ive been running my test rig for 3 days now testing somthing. more on that later...

this is how much i have used

image.thumb.jpeg.cec414d461fa9b9cda7ad87bc3db15ec.jpeg

for the test.. 

image.thumb.jpeg.4903d75a870573a6c44c8fb6ebb78f95.jpeg

plz send a cleaning crew

on to the results (tests has been ran 3 times each) 

image.png.532468257289a3cb2f61dddedd51385f.png

@freeagent

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

16 minutes ago, NorKris said:

ive been running my test rig for 3 days now testing somthing. more on that later...

for the test.. 

plz send a cleaning crew

image.png.53bd747dcd9f9232b51be2ae5c198b30.png

@freeagent

What 450W CPU could you cool with an AiO? Where are you measuring the system power draw? The entire PC can't draw less than the CPU.

But to answer that question, no you can't screw up your temps by using too much paste. I'm writing this for everyone, not just you specifically. As long as enough mounting pressure gets applied, the excess will just squish out, leaving the minimum needed in between CPU and cooler

1 minute ago, IkeaGnome said:

not every1  respects / trusts  "just watching" youtube vids..  we are not going to mention any names here but yeee...

3 minutes ago, DreamCat04 said:

What 450W CPU could you cool with an AiO? Where are you measuring the system power draw? The entire PC can't draw less than the CPU.

this was an typing error into excel. ty for pointing it out 😄 

corrected now

4 minutes ago, NorKris said:

not every1  respects / trusts  "just watching" youtube vids..  we are not going to mention any names here but yeee...

And not everyone respects/trusts random users on a forum that doesn't double check their stats before posting it...

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

4 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

And not everyone respects/trusts random users on a forum that doesn't double check their stats before posting it...

what randoms are we talking about?  

So we started talking about this the other day and you are now 3 days into testing? Ok.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

1 minute ago, freeagent said:

So we started talking about this the other day and you are now 3 days into testing? Ok.

im testing somthing that you have not been a apart off. 

59 minutes ago, NorKris said:

for the test.. 

plz send a cleaning crew

image.png.532468257289a3cb2f61dddedd51385f.png

@freeagent

Did you use less pressure to ensure that the paste was thicker?  If not, that is why the results are essentially the same. 

30 minutes ago, freeagent said:

He's testing something to verify what I did with my Notte.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

1 minute ago, RevGAM said:

Did you use less pressure to ensure that the paste was thicker?  If not, that is why the results are essentially the same. 

huh 🤔  i always tighten the coolers all the way down, the same way 😋

37 minutes ago, NorKris said:

Then your test results do not demonstrate the results you'd get from a thicker layer of paste since the pressure pushed most of it out... 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

4 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Then your test results do not demonstrate the results you'd get from a thicker layer of paste since the pressure pushed most of it out... 

if i tighten in a different way, that variable alone is bigger than  too much paste vs normal paste

and normal tighten cooler will squeeze out the paste making the layer normal 😛 

2 hours ago, NorKris said:

if i tighten in a different way, that variable alone is bigger than  too much paste vs normal paste

and normal tighten cooler will squeeze out the paste making the layer normal 😛 

You set out to prove or disprove the "myth" that @freeagent stated. What are you going to do?

3 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

What are you going to do?

its done? what do u mean

no names remember.. and no he did not start it

3 hours ago, NorKris said:

How much thermal paste you displace then has no impact on the thickness between the cooler and CPU.

2 hours ago, RevGAM said:

If this drama was based on the idea that too much paste can cause problems, then @NorKris's testing isn't setup properly to demonstrate that, as you suggest.

The latter testing would involve some sort of spacer that would increase the distance between the cooler and IHS that would allow for an extra 0.1mm or so of thermal paste between the two surfaces. That would involve actual testing though and simply not just wasting thermal paste.

Like using 2 gallons to demonstrate that a 1 gallon will get filled an overflowing it by 1 gallon.  

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

7 minutes ago, Agall said:

How much thermal paste you displace then has no impact on the thickness between the cooler and CPU.

i dont understand what you mean. sorry

7 minutes ago, Agall said:

If this drama was based on the idea that too much paste can cause problems, then @NorKris's testing isn't setup properly to demonstrate that, as you suggest.

true cuz the answer would be: so much that it flows into contacts points in  the ram and pcie slot... 🤔

3 minutes ago, NorKris said:

i dont understand what you mean. sorry

true cuz the answer would be: so much that it flows into contacts points in  the ram and pcie slot... 🤔

Well, a quantity above the minimum really has no impact on the contact between the IHS and cooler simply because tightening down the cooler displaces what doesn't fill the space, which is a relatively fixed quantity.

Sure, putting that much might cause problems with other things, but it won't affect cooling of the CPU as long as the cooler can still be tightened to the same depth. That's where properly testing this would involve adding some sort of spacer of an even thickness, like 0.1mm or 0.2mm, so that there's that much extra thermal paste between the cooler and IHS.

1 minute ago, Agall said:

Well, a quantity above the minimum really has no impact on the contact between the IHS and cooler simply because tightening down the cooler displaces what doesn't fill the space, which is a relatively fixed quantity.

Sure, putting that much might cause problems with other things, but it won't affect cooling of the CPU as long as the cooler can still be tightened to the same depth. That's where properly testing this would involve adding some sort of spacer of an even thickness, like 0.1mm or 0.2mm, so that there's that much extra thermal paste between the cooler and IHS.

aah now i understand, 100% agree. 

i predict that with spacers   the "too much" is better than "too little"  🤣

16 minutes ago, NorKris said:

aah now i understand, 100% agree. 

i predict that with spacers   the "too much" is better than "too little"  🤣

You really want no space between a heat sink and heat source, thermal paste being designed to fill in air gaps between them since no two surfaces are perfectly mated together. Thermal paste doing a lot better than air at transferring thermal energy.

Unless you use so much mounting pressure that you pressure weld them together 🙂 No thermal paste needed then.

Posted (edited)

I'm glad you finally understand, Kris. So, will you proceed to test with a thicker layer produced by a gasket to hold it in place and keep the distance larger than what happens when you tighten it down without a gasket?

< removed by moderation >

Edited by LogicalDrm
Added poke and videos

6 hours ago, RevGAM said:

I'm glad you finally understand, Kris. So, will you proceed to test with a thicker layer produced by a gasket to hold it in place and keep the distance larger than what happens when you tighten it down without a gasket?

why would i test a if cpu temps increase if u dont tighten the cooler? thats a ting every1 understand will happen????

Funny responses 🤣. But appreciated @NorKris OP 😁

I took the experiment in another way - to use much more paste to make sure you covered the whole contact point consistently (compared to using too little & maybe not covering it all with a consistent squished layer), as opposed to having a thicker layer of paste.

5 hours ago, Ralfi said:

Funny responses 🤣. But appreciated @NorKris OP 😁

I took the experiment in another way - to use much more paste to make sure you covered the whole contact point consistently (compared to using too little & maybe not covering it all with a consistent squished layer), as opposed to having a thicker layer of paste.

The point that was made by @freeagent is if the TIM is thick enough between the 2 surfaces, it will act as an insulator. I've seen this mentioned many times here and elsewhere. Personally, I think some materials are prone to be more insulative than others. 

It really boils down to resistance to transfer. The thickness of a material affects the conductivity of any firm of energy, as do other factors such as molecular density. In electrical systems, the thinner the gauge, the greater the resistance. The closer the 2 contact surfaces are, the greater the thermal conductivity is. 

5 hours ago, NorKris said:

why would i test a if cpu temps increase if u dont tighten the cooler? thats a ting every1 understand will happen????

You just said you finally understand what @Agallexplained. That is what is needed. Put the gasket in to maintain thicker layer of TIM and then tighten it fully.