Unraid changing licence cost !!!!!! Anyone tracking this????

Currently planing to build my own nas from an old synology to unraid. I already have an unraid licence that I purchase years ago.

Just when on the unraid website and just notice that the licence cost is changing?

My concern is the only 1 years update for a NAS???? ( Have to pay 36$ for update after that). This seem like a really bad idea for a NAS to not have security update?????

What would happen with people with old licence no more update?

When is the new Linus software that he invest coming out! 

Starter License

$49

Per License

For everyday storage and self-hosting needs

Attach up to 6 storage devices

Own a perpetual license

Free OS Updates for one year

Unleashed License

$109

Per License

For a ton of data or advanced storage needs

Attach unlimited storage devices

Own a perpetual license

Free OS Updates for one year

Lifetime License

$249

Per License

For the die-hard Unraid user

Attach unlimited storage devices

Own a perpetual license

Free OS Updates for life

Screenshot_20240405_205702_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240405_205645_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240405_205627_Chrome.jpg

Yes, been in the works for a few months now: 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

6 minutes ago, johnt said:

You don't have to use Unraid...

Yeah I know I'm use to it. I like the hybrid raid to add different size HD, and ease to add new one.

With the cost of the license being what it is, are you sure that you're not dealing with Mickeysoft?

2 hours ago, Armymen said:

any licenses gotten before the change remain lifetime licenses.

7 hours ago, manikyath said:

any licenses gotten before the change remain lifetime licenses.

Sp I get update for free for life?

9 hours ago, Armymen said:

Yeah I know I'm use to it. I like the hybrid raid to add different size HD, and ease to add new one.

You can do that without unraid.  They package the distro, they don't own the filesystem. 

Unraid was proactive and open about this change.  And provided their justification for why.

1 hour ago, Armymen said:

Sp I get update for free for life?

if you had one of the 3 tiers of license before the change, you get lifetime updates.

besides that, if you buy the "lifetime license" after the change, you get (as the name implies) lifetime updates as well.

in essence, they replaced the two "lower end" licenses with annual ones, and renamed the "unlimited" license to "lifetime".

19 hours ago, Armymen said:

Currently planing to build my own nas from an old synology to unraid. I already have an unraid licence that I purchase years ago.

Just when on the unraid website and just notice that the licence cost is changing?

My concern is the only 1 years update for a NAS???? ( Have to pay 36$ for update after that). This seem like a really bad idea for a NAS to not have security update?????

When is the new Linus software that he invest coming out! 

You could just use Linux and snaoraid, then you don't need to worry about changing license fees.

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

You could just use Linux and snaoraid, then you don't need to worry about changing license fees.

You mean snapraid right? I think that treats disk management similar to unraid. I haven't used it so not sure how ui and ease of setup is. 

I personally haven't preferred that style of raid as you only get single disk speed. But if it is mainly just file storage for media, it will be fine. 

I have been happy with truenas. But that software is supported but it's enterprise customers. 

I don't think the price for unraid is unreasonable given the advancements they made in the product and they don't have businesses to support a free version. 

Software development and upkeep tasks a not insignificant amount of money. 

2 minutes ago, m9x3mos said:

You mean snapraid right? I think that treats disk management similar to unraid. I haven't used it so not sure how ui and ease of setup is. 

I personally haven't preferred that style of raid as you only get single disk speed. But if it is mainly just file storage for media, it will be fine. 

I have been happy with truenas. But that software is supported but it's enterprise customers. 

I don't think the price for unraid is unreasonable given the advancements they made in the product and they don't have businesses to support a free version. 

Software development and upkeep tasks a not insignificant amount of money. 

Yes, snapraid. On my phone and fat fingered it.

The reason why I suggest snapraid is because it is closest to unraid in that it allows mismatched drives. People that choose unraid over TrueNAS usually list that as the reason.

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

Yes, snapraid. On my phone and fat fingered it.

The reason why I suggest snapraid is because it is closest to unraid in that it allows mismatched drives. People that choose unraid over TrueNAS usually list that as the reason.

Yup. That is one thing it allows and does well that truenas and others don't. Really just depends on your use case.