Need help with choosing a Laptop for editing on davinci resolve

Go to solution Solved by Commodus,
17 hours ago, Chrysler said:

Hi,

I'm looking into buying a laptop, because I need to be able to edit videos in davinci resolve while I'm travelling etc.

Can anyone give me some pointers, as to what I should be looking out for? I'd still do the heavy lifting with my self-built PC.

The only thought I had so far was to go for a gaming laptop, but I'm open to any ideas. Budget-wise I'd max spend around 1300$.

Thanks in advance

If you're not tied to Windows for your laptop, I'd consider a MacBook Air or Pro; you may need to go refurbished to get one with the screen, RAM and storage you want. I'd go with 16GB of RAM and a 512GB or larger SSD if possible. Also get at least an M2 chip if you're going with the MacBook Air, or M1 Pro if you're opting for the MacBook Pro.

The key is that Apple laptops don't throttle back the moment they're on battery; you can generally expect the system's best performance at all times. That's important if you intend to do a lot of editing away from a wall outlet. The Air doesn't have a fan so may throttle under a sustained heavy workload, but that won't be an issue if you're doing light-to-moderate work.

If you'd prefer Windows, I'd lean toward ASUS' Zenbook 14 line or Lenovo's Slim series. Good designs mated with solid  performance. Like on the Mac, I'd want at least 16GB of RAM and 512GB of storage for editing.

Hi,

I'm looking into buying a laptop, because I need to be able to edit videos in davinci resolve while I'm travelling etc.

Can anyone give me some pointers, as to what I should be looking out for? I'd still do the heavy lifting with my self-built PC.

The only thought I had so far was to go for a gaming laptop, but I'm open to any ideas. Budget-wise I'd max spend around 1300$.

Thanks in advance

17 hours ago, Chrysler said:

Hi,

Thanks in advance

If you're not tied to Windows for your laptop, I'd consider a MacBook Air or Pro; you may need to go refurbished to get one with the screen, RAM and storage you want. I'd go with 16GB of RAM and a 512GB or larger SSD if possible. Also get at least an M2 chip if you're going with the MacBook Air, or M1 Pro if you're opting for the MacBook Pro.

The key is that Apple laptops don't throttle back the moment they're on battery; you can generally expect the system's best performance at all times. That's important if you intend to do a lot of editing away from a wall outlet. The Air doesn't have a fan so may throttle under a sustained heavy workload, but that won't be an issue if you're doing light-to-moderate work.

If you'd prefer Windows, I'd lean toward ASUS' Zenbook 14 line or Lenovo's Slim series. Good designs mated with solid  performance. Like on the Mac, I'd want at least 16GB of RAM and 512GB of storage for editing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2024 at 6:03 PM, Commodus said:

Thanks I took your pointers and decided for an Asus Nitro 5 with a bigger screen and it was on sale too, so I grabbed a good deal. Thanks a bunch appreciate it!!