New to photography - need help

Hey, I'm completely new to photography and I want to take car photos. I currently have a Nikkon 1 J5, I want to stick with that for now but in a few months I might have a budget of maybe $300 ish AUD, not sure if I should buy a new camera or just a lense for the Nikkon (currently have the stock lens, ED IF Aspherical PD-ZOOM [infinity sign]-0.2m/0.7ft is what it says on the lense. What camera should I buy if I do end up buying a camera, would like to get the camera of eBay but I did look and I can find a Canon M50 with a nice lens for about $400 AUD, is that worth picking up? If so what should I look for to make sure it's ok.

Also can someone maybe recommend a few yt videos/tutorials/websites or anything to look up to get better at taking the photos, I will also get Lightroom on my phone to learn the editing too!

Thanks!

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

If you only have a phone maybe spend it on a notebook so you can properly edit the photo's.
Your posture and time will thank you for this upgrade.
Dont do work on phone that should be done on a proper computer. (but then im oldskool so lots of salt 😉)

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Nothing wrong with the Nikon and the kit lens for now. It's more important that you learn how to properly use a camera and learn to take good photos.

When I started I used to watch a lot of YT videos, especially Tony & Chelsea Northrup: https://www.youtube.com/@TonyAndChelsea

They offer a huge selection of guides for all sorts of cameras and types of photography.

For example there's an almost 1 hour long overview of your camera:

They also regularly critique photos and just a few weeks ago they did a video on cars:

And they also have tips and tricks specifically for car photography, like in this video:

Of course they are not always right or perfect, but for me their content was really helpful!

5 hours ago, HanZie82 said:

If you only have a phone maybe spend it on a notebook so you can properly edit the photo's.
Your posture and time will thank you for this upgrade.
Dont do work on phone that should be done on a proper computer. (but then im oldskool so lots of salt 😉)

I do have a pc but since I'm just starting out I don't want to too much money on editing apps etc. I want to put my money into a decent lense and a polirising filter i think its called? I do have an Ipad I may be able to use if that would be any better?

My First PC
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

5 hours ago, Senzelian said:

Nothing wrong with the Nikon and the kit lens for now. It's more important that you learn how to properly use a camera and learn to take good photos.

When I started I used to watch a lot of YT videos, especially Tony & Chelsea Northrup: https://www.youtube.com/@TonyAndChelsea

They offer a huge selection of guides for all sorts of cameras and types of photography.

For example there's an almost 1 hour long overview of your camera:

They also regularly critique photos and just a few weeks ago they did a video on cars:

And they also have tips and tricks specifically for car photography, like in this video:

Of course they are not always right or perfect, but for me their content was really helpful!

Thanks for the long answer, I will go check out their channel! Any idea what lense I should be trying to get? I don't think I will need a huge zoom lense, because I won't need to zoom in but I am completely lost when it comes to lenses,  I have no clue what the different options are other than zoom!

My First PC

18 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

Thanks for the long answer, I will go check out their channel! Any idea what lense I should be trying to get? I don't think I will need a huge zoom lense, because I won't need to zoom in but I am completely lost when it comes to lenses,  I have no clue what the different options are other than zoom!

Not sure which exact lens you have, but I assume it's the 10-30mm kit lens that came with the camera.

I recommend that you first see what you can do with that lens and find the limits of it. Then you know which one to get next. But if you have the 10-30, then that's a pretty good starting point in regards to its focal range, since your camera has a crop factor of 2.7 it seems. 

Crop factor means, that due to the sensor size, your focal range is 2.7 times larger in comparison to a full-frame sensor.

So 10mm on your camera would be equivalent to 27mm on a full-frame camera. 

But overall I'd say you should focus less on your gear and instead focus on improving your skills first.

3 hours ago, PcBeExpensive said:

I do have a pc but since I'm just starting out I don't want to too much money on editing apps etc. I want to put my money into a decent lense and a polirising filter i think its called? I do have an Ipad I may be able to use if that would be any better?

Use Gimp. It's free.

As for lenses, you should not worry about those, use what you have. Gear means VERY little unless you are going after specialized subjects like pro sports, astrophotography etc. Learn the basics with whatever you have already.

16 hours ago, Senzelian said:

Not sure which exact lens you have, but I assume it's the 10-30mm kit lens that came with the camera.

I recommend that you first see what you can do with that lens and find the limits of it. Then you know which one to get next. But if you have the 10-30, then that's a pretty good starting point in regards to its focal range, since your camera has a crop factor of 2.7 it seems. 

Crop factor means, that due to the sensor size, your focal range is 2.7 times larger in comparison to a full-frame sensor.

So 10mm on your camera would be equivalent to 27mm on a full-frame camera. 

But overall I'd say you should focus less on your gear and instead focus on improving your skills first.

The lens is the one that comes with the camera, I am planning to go out to car meets and stuff when they happen in my area to practice a bit. In this case I will stick with my camera for a while! Just a quick question, whenever I take an image the screen for some reason goes black for 1-2 seconds (even on like 1/16000 shutter speed) and if I move the photo goes blurry, do you know why this is? It's really annoying as my hands can't stay perfectly still, they move ever so slightly and it messes up the photo.

My First PC

12 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Use Gimp. It's free.

As for lenses, you should not worry about those, use what you have. Gear means VERY little unless you are going after specialized subjects like pro sports, astrophotography etc. Learn the basics with whatever you have already.

Thanks, I will check out Gimp, is it similar to stuff like Lightroom as in can it do all the basic stuff? I will stick with my current gear for a bit and get better at that! Thanks!

My First PC

34 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

Thanks, I will check out Gimp, is it similar to stuff like Lightroom as in can it do all the basic stuff? I will stick with my current gear for a bit and get better at that! Thanks!

It's more like photoshop. Less user firendly, but so far ahead in abilities. There is Darktable that is functionally like lightroom. More for cataloging and simple edits.

https://www.darktable.org/

6 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

It's more like photoshop. Less user firendly, but so far ahead in abilities. There is Darktable that is functionally like lightroom. More for cataloging and simple edits.

https://www.darktable.org/

Ooo thanks, will check them both out. Do you use any of these? If so, what do you prefer?

My First PC

2 hours ago, PcBeExpensive said:

Ooo thanks, will check them both out. Do you use any of these? If so, what do you prefer?

I use both. One is not a replacement for the other, they work in tandem. After I ingest everything, I go to darktable for "culling" and selecting the best images. I'll do basic editing (curves and levels) then take it into gimp for further fine tuning and final output.

2 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

I use both. One is not a replacement for the other, they work in tandem. After I ingest everything, I go to darktable for "culling" and selecting the best images. I'll do basic editing (curves and levels) then take it into gimp for further fine tuning and final output.

Ahh alright, thanks mate! I'm going to go take some photos then watch a few tutorials on how to edit car photography. Thanks again.

My First PC

19 hours ago, PcBeExpensive said:

Just a quick question, whenever I take an image the screen for some reason goes black for 1-2 seconds (even on like 1/16000 shutter speed) and if I move the photo goes blurry, do you know why this is?

Sorry, unfortunately, I do not. 

14 hours ago, Senzelian said:

Sorry, unfortunately, I do not. 

Don't worry, I got it figured out. Thanks for all your help!

My First PC

@Senzelian My teacher let me take some photos one a Canon EOS 1200d, took some nice photos and I liked that camera, I could potentially sell my Nikon 1 J5 for maybe $250 - $300 AUD and then I found that same camera with the same lense (1200d) for $3000 AUD on ebay. Should I try to get that?

My First PC

2 hours ago, PcBeExpensive said:

@Senzelian My teacher let me take some photos one a Canon EOS 1200d, took some nice photos and I liked that camera, I could potentially sell my Nikon 1 J5 for maybe $250 - $300 AUD and then I found that same camera with the same lense (1200d) for $3000 AUD on ebay. Should I try to get that?

$3000? What lens?

Regardless, I am going to say absolutely not. That is a camera from 2014, so unless it is a highly specialized L lens like a 400 f2.8, it is not worth near $3000.

6 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

$3000? What lens?

Regardless, I am going to say absolutely not. That is a camera from 2014, so unless it is a highly specialized L lens like a 400 f2.8, it is not worth near $3000.

AHHH NO I MISTYPES I MEANT $300!! OH MY GOD THiS IS PROBABLY THE WORST MISTAKE I HAVE EVER MADE!!!! APOLOGIES! SO for $300 is it worth it?

My First PC

1 hour ago, PcBeExpensive said:

AHHH NO I MISTYPES I MEANT $300!! OH MY GOD THiS IS PROBABLY THE WORST MISTAKE I HAVE EVER MADE!!!! APOLOGIES! SO for $300 is it worth it?

If it was me, No. I would use what I have. Learn about what you need by using what you have first. Then after you find it's shortcomings, that is when you buy something more fitting.

I'd just stick with the Nikon 1 for now until you get a decent grasp of the basics and really get a feel for what you need without others telling you what you need. It's very rare that spending more money gets you the results you're expecting if you haven't even gotten a handle of what you already own.